Author Topic: Yo Seer, so what did you think of the Compton album?  (Read 1242 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Yo Seer, so what did you think of the Compton album?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 01:16:23 AM »

But Infinite said Compton = Chronic + 2001  :'( :'( :'(

No.. your stretching my words a bit.  I said it was on par with his other two albums, and I still believe that.  All three are classics.  Yet, I am not going to put it above the Chronic... I would however put it slightly ahead of 2001..

If I were to rank Dre's solo albums

1.  Chronic - Classic
2.  Compton - Classic
3.  2001 - Classic

...and this is objectively speaking by the way.  Aftermath Presents is a personal (subjective) classic of mine, because I still listen to it often even to this day, and it has a lot of sentimental value.  But I would not claim that Aftermath Presents was a classic by conventional standards.  But even taking sentimentality out of the equation, Compton was an instant classic.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 01:20:24 AM by Infinite Trapped In 1996 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 05:24:53 AM »
Horrendously wack when it dropped and still dripping in putrid filth all this time later.

The guests are crap, the verses terrible, Dre really should stick to producing after this effort and in general its a sad attempt at bandwagon jumping/following whats hot by a dude that was known to innovate and not dick ride. The only good point is the audio fidelity which is astounding but there is only so far that will get you when everything else is just so bad.

Those that hype this, consider this:

If this release had been from another West artist like say, Snoop, then y'all would have shit all over it for the exact reasons outlined above but because it comes from Dre a lot of you automatically place a groupie aura around it. To put it into perspective, Snoop following up Doggystyle with Doggfather was a better move than Dre dropping Compton after 2001.

Check the replayability in 20 years or so to compare my point and you'll see what I mean.

Blood$

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 07:43:01 AM »
Horrendously wack when it dropped and still dripping in putrid filth all this time later.

The guests are crap, the verses terrible, Dre really should stick to producing after this effort and in general its a sad attempt at bandwagon jumping/following whats hot by a dude that was known to innovate and not dick ride. The only good point is the audio fidelity which is astounding but there is only so far that will get you when everything else is just so bad.

If this release had been from another West artist like say, Snoop, then y'all would have shit all over it for the exact reasons outlined above but because it comes from Dre a lot of you automatically place a groupie aura around it. To put it into perspective, Snoop following up Doggystyle with Doggfather was a better move than Dre dropping Compton after 2001.

Check the replayability in 20 years or so to compare my point and you'll see what I mean.

not a single fact stated here in this post lolol

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 08:16:33 AM »

No facts when it comes to music buddy boy, just perspectives and them thar be mine.  ;D

Blood$

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2016, 09:19:29 AM »

No facts when it comes to music buddy boy, just perspectives and them thar be mine.  ;D

the beauty of opinions  8)

dnjp4life

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2016, 09:24:06 AM »
The album did grow on me a lot and it does have some really strong moments, but as much as I want it to be, I don't think it will be considered a classic in years to come. That doesn't matter too much as its still a really good album, but it would have been nice for Dre to have that final classic album under his belt.

Where I think it loses momentum is in the second half. A track like 'For The Love Of Money' just sounds awkward on here, and I much prefer the original version of 'Animals' - it's about the only track I can think of where Dre's additional production wasn't needed. Also I don't care much for the Eminem featured track which is kind of a disappointment for me.

That track 'Back To Business' though? Now that's the sort of big, epic sound that should have made it onto the album in place of one of the weaker cuts.

Westcoastfanatic

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 09:44:11 AM »

Cosign. I was one of Dre biggest fans, but I'm not gonna deny the fact the man lost his touch and the Dre era is over.
IS DETOX NEXT? Don't think so.

J-FUNKTION

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2016, 10:31:14 AM »

Truest shit i ever read on this site

Will_B

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 01:44:34 PM »
"My plaque's from album sales
Y'all is ringtone platinum
But .99 cents adds up
I don't hate 'em, I congratulate 'em "

Nas called it. This is the way things are for the 99%. Dre included

hrsmn_london

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2016, 03:21:24 PM »
I only like a handful of tracks on there.

Why Eminem is on there, I have no idea.

I enjoyed Game's verse, Cold187/Xzibit track and Anderson Paak/Premo track.

Sccit

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2016, 04:29:49 PM »

You couldn't be more wrong .. If Dre was hoppin on a bandwagon then he woulda released videos and singles for the album, which woulda easily tripled the sales .. And snoop hasn't dropped an album this refined since doggystyle, so u wrong on that front too. When u listen to tracks like deep water, all in a day's work, it's all on me, genoocide, loose cannons, etc. they sound like nothing out there..I really don't understand how some of yall can't feel that

Sccit

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2016, 04:30:54 PM »
The album did grow on me a lot and it does have some really strong moments, but as much as I want it to be, I don't think it will be considered a classic in years to come. That doesn't matter too much as its still a really good album, but it would have been nice for Dre to have that final classic album under his belt.

Where I think it loses momentum is in the second half. A track like 'For The Love Of Money' just sounds awkward on here, and I much prefer the original version of 'Animals' - it's about the only track I can think of where Dre's additional production wasn't needed. Also I don't care much for the Eminem featured track which is kind of a disappointment for me.

That track 'Back To Business' though? Now that's the sort of big, epic sound that should have made it onto the album in place of one of the weaker cuts.

original "animals" sounds bland and repetitive, dre added a whole lot of depth to it, which is just what it needed, as it's meant 2 be a deep track

Don Seer

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2016, 02:08:51 AM »
If I were to rank Dre's solo albums

1.  Chronic - Classic
2.  Compton - Classic
3.  2001 - Classic

straight crazy talk.

you can't call anything classic/instant classic, that instantly flags you up as a person who is not objective. "classic" by definition means that it's stood the test of time. you can't shortcut that.

like many on here I am/was a huge Dre fan.. but this new shit?

tell ya what.. i'll give it one more listen.. with a track by track.. straight breakdown...just for you.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:17:24 AM by Don Seer »

Don Seer

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2016, 09:17:51 AM »
i started a track by track breakdown by got fed up..

overall there's a stop/start disjointed thing with a lot of the songs.. when someones spitting or not that breaks the flow.. shit sounds disjointed like a radio show or a mixtape.

i've put it on my iphone to play in the car to give it a different listen.. but seriously.. i'm thinking anyone thinking this album is anywhere near chronic or 2001 level is on some crazy shit

Will_B

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2016, 11:31:16 AM »
If you're not actually listening for lyrics, wordplay/content/song writing this shit would be ok as background noise/music

It's a decent throwaway thing for 5 mins. Only noteworthy because it's Dre