Author Topic: Why did 50 Cent fall off behind the mic?  (Read 1285 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Why did 50 Cent fall off behind the mic?
« on: March 25, 2016, 01:53:01 AM »
There are a lot of reasons... but I wanted to point out another one I noticed after seeing an overly expensive video he did with Eminem and the guy from Maroon 5.   50's trying to rap in a different style and supposedly show his "versatility" which he has tried at different points in his career.  He's trying to rap all upbeat like some kind of a hipster on the track, lol....

But I think that 50 was a 1-trick pony.  Everything that he is capable of doing he did on Get Rich Or Die Trying.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

CORREA

Re: Why did 50 Cent fall off behind the mic?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 12:22:58 PM »
There are a lot of reasons... but I wanted to point out another one I noticed after seeing an overly expensive video he did with Eminem and the guy from Maroon 5.   50's trying to rap in a different style and supposedly show his "versatility" which he has tried at different points in his career.  He's trying to rap all upbeat like some kind of a hipster on the track, lol....

But I think that 50 was a 1-trick pony.  Everything that he is capable of doing he did on Get Rich Or Die Trying.

50 to me has always been overrated and i saw thru his bullshit when he signed to shady he was just in the right place at the right time and at that time jarule was #1 lol
so pretty much em and dre was the reason he blew up em was really really popular round that time to the white people tho
retard thought going solo was going to help him just made him worse 50 just really needs to leave music alone he will never reach that spot again hes been done a long time ago

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 01:29:34 PM »
Right after The Massacre
"Now you're facing me, I'm your ultimate challenger.  It's the avenger, your fate is on my calendar"-Guru from "So What's Up"

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 11:38:30 PM »

50 to me has always been overrated and i saw thru his bullshit when he signed to shady he was just in the right place at the right time and at that time jarule was #1 lol
so pretty much em and dre was the reason he blew up em was really really popular round that time to the white people tho
retard thought going solo was going to help him just made him worse 50 just really needs to leave music alone he will never reach that spot again hes been done a long time ago

It shows his arrogance thinking he could do better without Shady/Aftermath.. I mean they were his only hope all along... I kind of agree he was in the right place at the right time... and it was a perfect storm, but hey, others had their shot and didn't make it so he deserves credit

...I think it might of been a slight diss to 50's arrogance in thinkin he could do something on his own when Mez raps on "Talk About It"... "I'm the humbler 50"

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 12:41:31 AM »
he was never that good to begin with

Will_B

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 02:02:37 AM »
True is they were all better back then. Stronger as a team pooling writing and being backed by real musicians and experienced engineers. The biz is just different now

Jimmy H.

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 08:33:19 AM »
Saying that 50 was simply a lucky situation based on Dre & Em to me is downplaying a lot of other facts.  Dre and Eminem have gotten behind acts before and the success was not there. Timing was definitely a huge factor but he had everything that was needed to make it all work.  He was a combination of everything that the music consumer was looking for at the time and he brought the one thing that Dr. Dre and Eminem have never really succeeded at when it comes to breaking artists and that was the guerilla marketing moves. 

To call it an Eminem thing doesn't work.  Em had been trying to break Obie Trice into his next artist for a minute.  The first single/video off of Eminem Show was basically a commercial for Obie.  His debut album is actually very underrated and has all the top Shady/Aftermath/G-Unit players on it but the signing of 50 Cent was a bigger deal.  Guess Who's Back was gaining some word of mouth and the fact that Dre and Em were co-signing him certainly got people excited but a simple co-sign was not what made 50's career.   

Everything sort of fell into place.  He had an important story.  Shot nine times, dropped from his label, basically having to use the underground mixtape scene to launch his career.  It was essentially the American underdog tale.  The fact that he was jumping on every mixtape, talking to all these websites, getting all these magazine features was crucial in getting him out there.  He was also feuding with Ja Rule at a time when the public was tired of hearing him.  He was seemingly offering an alternative to what Ja was offering.  He was being looked at in a manner similar to what DMX offered in the Bad Boy era.  A breath of fresh air. 

The timing of the Dre-Eminem deal is important too.  Em was three albums deep and just finishing up on a movie.  He was at the height of his popularity but also, was starting to creatively become burnt out.  With an album and a soundtrack in the can in 2002, his solo commitments after that would be less for awhile so the opportunity to work on a new artist was there.  With the 8-Mile soundtrack, they had a best-selling vehicle to introduce 50 as an artist and launch him.  Fall 2002 was a huge time for 50 Cent and this was before Dr. Dre was really visible in terms of musical influence.  With Dre, the timing was good as well.  Him and Snoop were not working together as much, the Up In Smoke hype and died down, Xzibit was still there but the momentum was slowing. 

Another very fortunate timing was The Source going against Eminem in late 2002.  This was when XXL came in and offered a truce by giving 50 Cent the cover with Dr. Dre and Em right next to him.  This was the icing on the cake. 

All the pieces were there.  He had the perceived street credibility by being shot and surviving.  He had the underground market tapped through the mixtapes.  The white kids and the mainstream MTV audience saw Eminem holding him down.  West Coast heads were interested in the Dr. Dre involvement.  He was East Coast so New York was fucking with him.  He had a new artist buzz that reminded many of Snoop Dogg and DMX. His first record was "Wanksta", then they dropped that "In Da Club" joint with Dre and it was game over.  Him going at Ja Rule brought controversy as did the whole camp's involvement in the Source/XXL beef. 

As for why he fell, I'd say a multitude of reasons.  Where the timing on his first album was impecible.  A lot changed for record #2.  He became a bigger force out of the gate than Em did.  He was a CEO before his first album dropped and was breaking artists while trying to work on a follow-up.  Em had a secure enough catalog and career by the time he started working with 50.  50 was trying to break Game within a month or so of putting out his own album and in the middle of it, Game was gone and the audience was divided.  Artistically, 50 was working at a quicker pace and placing himself on all the G-Unit projects.  He gave his single best record of that time period, "Hate it or Love It" to Game.  If he'd put his own record out first and used that as the single to launch Game, the perception would have been different.  That is a great 50 Cent record.  That was the type of introspective, nostalgic music that would have made the perfect second offering after "Get Rich" but it seemed like he was looking to try and get another "In Da Club" type record. 

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 12:18:04 PM »
Probably 50 million dollars.

Blood$

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 02:01:11 PM »
the only living rapper who never once fell off behind the mic is Scarface

EDIT: and Pusha T

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 05:29:24 AM »
To me it appears that Fif did a few things wrong and they were:

Giving away too much music for free, at the mixtape heyday they were dropping at least 10 new tracks every week and some of them were bonafide hits. Plus the level of humour he displayed on the mixtape scene was never expressed on retail which was a damn shame as his charisma was palpable on the free joints.

Chasing hits and becoming formulaic. After In Da Club you could see that he just kept on going back in the lab with the same formula again and again instead of just letting it flow and seeing where it took him.

Too much exposure. Self explanatory, sometimes you've gotta go away to make a come back.

Repetitive subject matter. You're rich, we get it. Too one dimensional when he could have rapped about a lot more.

Dumbed himself down too much to appeal to the largest possible audience.

And that's about it really, as any pusher knows you may be able to stretch the product by stepping on it a few times but once the fiends get wise they'd rather pay one of the other guys and get a bit less as long as they know its potent and this is one thing that Fif knew and understood well but still went against the grain for whatever reason...

DRGNBLZN

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 09:33:18 AM »

Nas
Xzibit
E-40
Tech N9ne

all 20+ years in the game never fell off and at least semi relevant.

Blood$

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 11:13:21 AM »

Nas
Xzibit
E-40
Tech N9ne

all 20+ years in the game never fell off and at least semi relevant.

Nas fell off at one obvious point with Nastradamus, Xzibit has a sub-par album or two in his catalog, I love E-40 and don't wanna say he "fell off" but he's had some average to wack joints on his last few albums, Tech N9ne I will maybe agree with as he's only gotten arguably better with age

Remedy360

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 01:32:51 PM »
Saying that 50 was simply a lucky situation based on Dre & Em to me is downplaying a lot of other facts.  Dre and Eminem have gotten behind acts before and the success was not there. Timing was definitely a huge factor but he had everything that was needed to make it all work.  He was a combination of everything that the music consumer was looking for at the time and he brought the one thing that Dr. Dre and Eminem have never really succeeded at when it comes to breaking artists and that was the guerilla marketing moves. 

To call it an Eminem thing doesn't work.  Em had been trying to break Obie Trice into his next artist for a minute.  The first single/video off of Eminem Show was basically a commercial for Obie.  His debut album is actually very underrated and has all the top Shady/Aftermath/G-Unit players on it but the signing of 50 Cent was a bigger deal.  Guess Who's Back was gaining some word of mouth and the fact that Dre and Em were co-signing him certainly got people excited but a simple co-sign was not what made 50's career.   

Everything sort of fell into place.  He had an important story.  Shot nine times, dropped from his label, basically having to use the underground mixtape scene to launch his career.  It was essentially the American underdog tale.  The fact that he was jumping on every mixtape, talking to all these websites, getting all these magazine features was crucial in getting him out there.  He was also feuding with Ja Rule at a time when the public was tired of hearing him.  He was seemingly offering an alternative to what Ja was offering.  He was being looked at in a manner similar to what DMX offered in the Bad Boy era.  A breath of fresh air. 

The timing of the Dre-Eminem deal is important too.  Em was three albums deep and just finishing up on a movie.  He was at the height of his popularity but also, was starting to creatively become burnt out.  With an album and a soundtrack in the can in 2002, his solo commitments after that would be less for awhile so the opportunity to work on a new artist was there.  With the 8-Mile soundtrack, they had a best-selling vehicle to introduce 50 as an artist and launch him.  Fall 2002 was a huge time for 50 Cent and this was before Dr. Dre was really visible in terms of musical influence.  With Dre, the timing was good as well.  Him and Snoop were not working together as much, the Up In Smoke hype and died down, Xzibit was still there but the momentum was slowing. 

Another very fortunate timing was The Source going against Eminem in late 2002.  This was when XXL came in and offered a truce by giving 50 Cent the cover with Dr. Dre and Em right next to him.  This was the icing on the cake. 

All the pieces were there.  He had the perceived street credibility by being shot and surviving.  He had the underground market tapped through the mixtapes.  The white kids and the mainstream MTV audience saw Eminem holding him down.  West Coast heads were interested in the Dr. Dre involvement.  He was East Coast so New York was fucking with him.  He had a new artist buzz that reminded many of Snoop Dogg and DMX. His first record was "Wanksta", then they dropped that "In Da Club" joint with Dre and it was game over.  Him going at Ja Rule brought controversy as did the whole camp's involvement in the Source/XXL beef. 

As for why he fell, I'd say a multitude of reasons.  Where the timing on his first album was impecible.  A lot changed for record #2.  He became a bigger force out of the gate than Em did.  He was a CEO before his first album dropped and was breaking artists while trying to work on a follow-up.  Em had a secure enough catalog and career by the time he started working with 50.  50 was trying to break Game within a month or so of putting out his own album and in the middle of it, Game was gone and the audience was divided.  Artistically, 50 was working at a quicker pace and placing himself on all the G-Unit projects.  He gave his single best record of that time period, "Hate it or Love It" to Game.  If he'd put his own record out first and used that as the single to launch Game, the perception would have been different.  That is a great 50 Cent record.  That was the type of introspective, nostalgic music that would have made the perfect second offering after "Get Rich" but it seemed like he was looking to try and get another "In Da Club" type record. 

Great post.

Dargine

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Main Underground Stream
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 11:59:49 AM »
Well honestly, if I just go through the tracklists off all of his albums includin' all of the bonus tracks and just take out the wack/weaker songs that I might skip sometimes, you still got some pretty impressive list, 'specially on his latest albums, just Curtis and T.O.S. was wack overall:

1. x    (intro)
2. What Up Gangsta
3. Patiently Waiting (feat. Eminem)
4. Many Men (Wish Death)
5. In Da Club
6. High All the Time
7. Heat
8. x
9. x
10. Back Down
11. x
12. x
13. Poor Lil Rich
14. 21 Questions (feat. Nate Dogg)
15. Don't Push Me (feat. Lloyd Banks of G Unit & Eminem)
16. Gotta Make It to Heaven
17. x
18. U Not Like Me
19. Life's On The Line
20. P.I.M.P. (G-Unit remix) (ft. Snoop Dogg & G-Unit)

1. x (intro)   
2. In My Hood   
3. This Is 50
4. I'm Supposed To Die Tonight
5. Piggy Bank
6. Gatman And Robbin
7. x
8. Outta Control
9. x
10. Ski Mask Way
11. x
12. x
13. Disco Inferno
14. x
15. Gunz Come Out
16. x
17. Position Of Power
18. x
19. x
20. x
21. I Don't Need 'Em
22. x
23. Outta Control (remix)

1. x (intro)
2. My Gun Go Off
3. x (only because it was censored, the uncensored version that leaked is dope as fuck)
4. x
5. I Get Money
6. x
7. x
8. x
9. Movin On Up
10. x
11. x
12. Fully Loaded Clip
13. x
14. x
15. x
16. x
17. x
18. x

1. The Invitation   
2. Then Days Went By   
3. Death To My Enemies   
4. So Disrespectful   
5. Psycho   
6. Hold Me Down   
7. Crime Wave   
8. Stretch   
9. Strong Enough   
10. Get It Hot   
11. Gangsta's Delight   
12. I Got Swag   
13. x   
14. x   
15. x   
16. x (the og version with Slim the Mobster is great tho')
17. Flight 187
18. x

1. Hold On   
2. Don't Worry 'Bout It   
3. Animal Ambition   
4. Pilot   
5. Smoke   
6. Everytime I Come Around   
7. Irregular Heartbeat   
8. Hustler   
9. Twisted   
10. x   
11. Chase The Paper   
12. The Funeral   
13. You Know   
14. x

group albums:

1. G-Unit
2. Poppin' Them Thangs
3. My Buddy
4. x
5. Stunt 101
6. x
7. x
8. Betta Ask Somebody
9. Footprints
10. x
11. Smile
12. x
13. x (because no 50)
14. Beg For Mercy
15. G'd Up
16. Lay You Down
17. Gangsta Shit
18. x

1. x
2. x
3. x
4. x
5. x
6. You So Tough
7. No Days Off
8. x
9. x
10. x
11. x
12. x
13. x
14. x
15. x (because no 50)
16. x (because no 50)
17. Chase Da Cat

1. Watch Me
2. I Don't Fuck With You
3. Digital Scale
4. Changes   
5. Dead A Pussy Nigga
6. The Plug
7. Ease Up   
8. Big Body Benz

1. Ballin'   
2. I'm Grown
3. Bring My Bottles
4. x
5. Boy Boy
6. Choose One

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 12:03:38 PM by Dargine »
http://TheMUSblog.blogspot.com

Everything about The D.O.C, Obie Trice, The Notorious B.I.G, Young Buck, Eminem, Pipe da Snipe, Devin the Dude, Six Street Mac, Dr. Dre, B.G. Knocc Out, YG Hootie, 50 Cent, Nate Dogg, 4-Bent & Black Rob.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 01:56:08 AM »

Dre never fell off or ever came wack on the mic