Author Topic: Discussion on tracks Sam Sneed did during his time with Dre...  (Read 2991 times)

Don Seer

Re: Discussion on tracks Sam Sneed did during his time with Dre...
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 06:12:50 AM »
yeah that one thx

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 06:17:54 AM »
dope thread infinite!!!! it's a damn shame how so much potential was wasted at death row. if suge wasn't so foolish, sam coulda kept death row on top cause he had the sound that dre was gettin' credit for then.

Yeah Suge got stubborn off the success of 2pac...thought he was "untouchable".  But he really could've used a nicca like Sneed around, with Sneed and J Flexx around they still had some of that Dre sound wit um... Daz was great but he couldn't carry the whole roster.

As for why Dre never backed a Sneed solo I think Dre fully backed "Recognize" and that probably represented the height of Sneeds solo potential and Dre probably felt that if that didn't blow up a full project wouldn't have blown up.  I mean it's a classic for all of us but Sneed didn't have the star quality to blow up behind a video camera so he was relegated to staying behind the boards....damn shame cause he was swift with the pen and had an undeniable flow.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Don Seer

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 10:47:16 AM »
I think it was a sound fairly similar in 'era' to the King T album, and would have gone the same way.

It was just too late for it, the game had moved on.

Had a Sneed or Snoop, Dre, Death Row album dropped, with that sound in early 96 instead of the Aftermath Comp and The Firm, along side All Eyez On Me (which also had some of that sound... (via Can't C Me, and California Love) then it'd been on to something..

basically.. the rumoured Chronic II - Poppas Got a Brand New Funk with Can't C Me, California Love, Natural Born Killaz etc.. would be what we expected

Sccit

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 11:06:13 AM »
What is sam sneed doin nowadays?

Mietek23

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 02:36:55 PM »

He's living in ATL still making music - he's actually a mentor to a talented UK producer Nat Powers, who produced Curtis Young's "Doctor Note" album back in 2012.

Sccit

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 06:53:28 PM »

He's living in ATL still making music - he's actually a mentor to a talented UK producer Nat Powers, who produced Curtis Young's "Doctor Note" album back in 2012.

He release anything or produce any tracks of late?

procrastiNate

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2017, 12:55:37 AM »
I talk to him on facebook sometimes. I actually have his personal number in one of my phones that I don't use anyone. I've talked to him over the phone a few times. Really cool, down to earth guy. Don't know what he's doing as far as music wise right now though.

Jay Wallace

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2017, 04:05:37 PM »
I think Sneed was kind of a victim of the in-house fighting at Death Row.  He was a member of Dre's crew but he tried to test the waters regarding his solo career after Dre left, which Dre had warned him would be a problem.  According to Bruce Williams, Sneed was summoned to an artist meeting right after Dre was gone and was warned by Dre that it was a bad idea as Suge was just looking to get at anyone associated with him because he had stopped coming to Can-Am at that point.  Sneed was still hopeful that Suge still had interest in putting out his album.  When he got there, things immediately got bad as he showed Sneed's video, which had Dre in it and several East Coast rappers.  Suge ended up grilling him about trying to charge Snoop too much for a beat and he ended up catching a beatdown.  Other reports say Suge continued to have them strike him until he told them that Dre was gay and denounced him in front of everyone.  According to Bruce, Dre grilled him about what happened and he denied insulting him.  It put him in a weird spot with Dre and Death Row really had no interest in him after that.  I'd say it was less about him not having the sound as much as it was, not having anybody in his corner.

Sccit

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2017, 04:16:57 PM »
I think Sneed was kind of a victim of the in-house fighting at Death Row.  He was a member of Dre's crew but he tried to test the waters regarding his solo career after Dre left, which Dre had warned him would be a problem.  According to Bruce Williams, Sneed was summoned to an artist meeting right after Dre was gone and was warned by Dre that it was a bad idea as Suge was just looking to get at anyone associated with him because he had stopped coming to Can-Am at that point.  Sneed was still hopeful that Suge still had interest in putting out his album.  When he got there, things immediately got bad as he showed Sneed's video, which had Dre in it and several East Coast rappers.  Suge ended up grilling him about trying to charge Snoop too much for a beat and he ended up catching a beatdown.  Other reports say Suge continued to have them strike him until he told them that Dre was gay and denounced him in front of everyone.  According to Bruce, Dre grilled him about what happened and he denied insulting him.  It put him in a weird spot with Dre and Death Row really had no interest in him after that.  I'd say it was less about him not having the sound as much as it was, not having anybody in his corner.

LOL

Okka

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2017, 09:45:46 AM »

I'm not sure how much of that book is true. According to Daz, it was Pac and the Outlawz who beat Sneed up because he had New York rappers in his video.