Author Topic: Snoop Dogg's Thoughts On The Doggfather album?  (Read 1182 times)

kuruptDPG

Snoop Dogg's Thoughts On The Doggfather album?
« on: June 04, 2016, 02:13:10 PM »

this is the only time i can see him talkin about here, which im suprised that he wanted dre of all people even aftr when he left deathrow and mentions this live on tv

any other interviews where snoop or anyone else talks about this album?

kuruptDPG

Re: Snoop Dogg's Thoughts On The Doggfather album?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 05:16:26 AM »
anyone?

donfathaimmortal

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 02:29:07 PM »
There was the VIBE mag released in december 96 with Snoop.

Snippet :

The first thing Snoop explains is that Tha Doggfather was created to “please people.” Like Hammer (who in May 1994 said, “Me and Snoop are one and the same”), Snoop wants to become a pop music superstar. For him, being in control is important. He’s proud that he was able to have input on production, mix ideas, and mastering levels. Asked if it is different from Doggystyle, he nods and replies, “I ain’t got no Dre producing. Dre didn’t do one beat. It’s my flavor.” The mention of Snoop’s former label mate inspires lengthy monologues. On hearing that he’s expressed sadness about ending their partnership, Snoop shakes his head.

“I can’t say I miss him, but I can say I appreciate him for leaving,” he says in measured tones. “If he wouldn’t have left, I would’ve been some cutthroat trying to be up under his wing and follow in his direction. Now I have to take the lead and try to be better than him. I ain’t got no beef with Dre or nothing negative to say about him. It’s just all about moving on, being a man, and making music.

“And I’m glad Suge was man enough to just let Dre go,” Snoop adds, “without no big ol’ fight or fuss. That’s the way we came into it, and that’s the way we should leave.” Snoop’s suddenly pensive, like he’s thinking about his own situation, about what would happen if he ever decided to bounce. “If a nigga got differences,” he continues, “a nigga got differences. Let him go his way.”
“I’m not mad that Dre’s gone. I’m happy. Because I’m able to do the type of shit I always wanted to do. I wanna be artist and executioner. That’s why the music is more…it’s so happy. It’s not ‘Fuck everybody, I’m mad, I’m ready to do something.’ It’s some happy, cool shit that a smiling motherfucker can play for his kids.”
The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 11:46:47 PM »
dope interview, people still shittin on doggfather, but it's snoop's second/third best album and has aged well.

doggfather

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 03:35:44 AM »
dope interview, people still shittin on doggfather, but it's snoop's second/third best album and has aged well.

+1
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

HighEyeCue

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 07:39:43 AM »
I liked tha Doggfather a lot...probably my second favorite Snoop album after Doggystyle

Downtown Assassins was my joint 8)

kuruptDPG

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 01:37:35 PM »
I remember he said he didnt want 2pac on this album as he didnt want to make money off from pac features.

Been listening to interviews from tupacnation etc, i dare say snoop had no intention of having pac on the album anyway

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 01:45:40 PM »
I remember he said he didnt want 2pac on this album as he didnt want to make money off from pac features.

Been listening to interviews from tupacnation etc, i dare say snoop had no intention of having pac on the album anyway

THEY DID 3 OR 4 JOINTS FROM THE ALBUM, THEY JUST LEFT THEM OFF.....ALWAYS FOUND THAT WEIRD

kuruptDPG

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 03:01:16 PM »

THEY DID 3 OR 4 JOINTS FROM THE ALBUM, THEY JUST LEFT THEM OFF.....ALWAYS FOUND THAT WEIRD

was suge sent to jail when doggfather was put out? yes this is snoops album and it is up to him, i think he said in a interview few years back that he regrets now that he didnt put pac on it.

but you would think reggie and those higher up would have said we here to make money, pacs goin to be on this album no mater what

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 12:06:37 AM »
Maybe some of you aren't old enough to remember when Doggystyle dropped.   But I was there and I was old enough because I became a hiphop head when the "wit a dre day" video blew up summer of 93.   So Snoop was like Michael Jordan to us early 90s kids because he always delivered and lived up to the hype early on.. With Doggystyle being on par with the Chronic and then him flipping different styles on Above the Rim and Murder Was the Case, on Dogg Food.

So those that can remember that far back really believed Snoop would slide in and save the day and save hiphop after 2pac died--and it just did not happen.  Snoop came with the Doggfather and maybe it sounds alright today or sounded alright if you were new to the game but that shit was an epic failure and created the space for weaker artists like Puffy and Master P to sweep in and take over the game.   And I was still just a 14 year old kid at the time so I even bought into that No Limit and Bad Boy hype that took over 97 and 98.   It wasn't until 99 that Eminem saved the game and started reminding rap fans what great artistry was supposed to sound like.

To this day if I listen to Doggfather I swear the weather turns cloudy.  And I know "Wake Up" and "Gold Rush" and a lot of the joints are dope, but it's nowhere near his 2nd best.   Top Dawg, Last Meal are much superior cause Dre was back in the mix.  
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 03:59:18 AM by Infinite Trapped In 1996 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Fritz

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 06:03:19 AM »
I am glad I got the album for free back in the day, a few good songs but a disappointment.

http://www.unkut.com/2008/10/worst-follow-up-ever-round-2/

kuruptDPG

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 01:24:51 PM »

was suge sent to jail when doggfather was put out? yes this is snoops album and it is up to him, i think he said in a interview few years back that he regrets now that he didnt put pac on it.

but you would think reggie and those higher up would have said we here to make money, pacs goin to be on this album no mater what

Blood$

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 07:17:15 PM »
it's nowhere near his 2nd best.   Top Dawg, Last Meal are much superior cause Dre was back in the mix.  

agree with this... Doggfather was aight though, kinda regret selling my copy years back

I'll probably get roasted for this but I felt even Blue Carpet Treatment was a better album

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 03:40:37 AM »

Really they didn't have any tracks together that really would of lived up to the billing.  Tracks like what they had on Gridlocked fit well for soundtrack but when you are talking about a Snoop solo they needed to have something on deck that would rival "Amerikaz Most Wanted".    Since they failed to record anything of that quality they might as well just leave Pac off.   I mean It ain't like dre did Amerikaz most wanted so it's a shame Daz or Pooh or some other producer couldn't have gotten another banger out of those two..... But Snoop just wasn't at his best in 96

Doggfather still had a chance with all the talent around the label they could've made Snoop sound good.   Throw his name on a leftover Pac joint....use the best tracks from the unreleased Haven't You Heard, then throw Snoops vocals on whatever Dogg Pound bangers they had floatin around like "Me In Your World".   Maybe if Suge would've still been around he would've enforced more contributions and not let Snoop tried to handle so much of the project on his own when it was a down year for Snoop coming off his trial.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)