Author Topic: Dr. Dre- Compton 1 Year Later  (Read 2419 times)

Sccit

Re: Dr. Dre- Compton 1 Year Later
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2016, 02:37:05 PM »
How can something that was a chore to sit through in the first place even have replay ability. Are you a masochist? Listening to it with your beats headphones lined with sandpaper, wearing leather studded under pants (with the studs on the inside) on a battered public bus trundling over potholes?
lolllll i tell my homie this all the time, how hilarious it is too see cats saying something was awful yet they force themselves to sit through it 10 more times and try to convince themselves that they like it

Ain't that the truth, you know the first time you heard the keys for Still DRE it was dope and it is still is, no matter how many spins you give it it can just pop up on random one day and have you vibing like the first time you played it, because its a hit. Hell you can pick out pretty much any Dre track pre Compton (well at leasts over 60% of his catalog to be accurate) and it will do the same thing.

Compton on the other hand was quickly rushed to allow Dre to wash his hands of Detox and its hype that he could never deliver on - not by your expectations but his - by pretending it wasn't a Dre album per se and just created for the movie yada yada yada. It was a weak concept with poor execution, some interesting beats here and there thematically speaking, generally piss poor lyrics and the usual outstanding mastering.

As I said back when it was released I'd love to hear the instrumental version and I'll guarantee you that Dre has tracks that he'd recorded for Detox that excrete all over this release even though they'll either be barebones, hardly finished or only have 492 different vocal takes - none of which were good enough for Dre.

A lot of people like it because they WANT to like it, thus they manufacture proof as they lie to themselves but the fact that this album came and went like a fart in the breeze speaks volumes when it comes to drops by the mighty D R E as he might as well have called this album "Amnesia".

I'd always suspected this album was his way to sacrifice Detox by releasing something sub par and then following it up with a 1/2 punch and knocking it out of the park with a follow up album that was mindblowingly different that combined his signature drums with orchestral pieces or something equally left field as I'd been hedging on his musical score to the planets concept being what he really wanted to do instead of treading the gangsta rap path again where there really was nothing left to be said and thus he'd use Compton as a counterpoint to springboard a grander sound and fanbase.

If you're reading this Dre, it still ain't too late and I want 5% of the adjusted net for giving you this plan.  8)

I liked that album because the production was great, the vocals were on point, the concepts were tremendous, the overall sound rattled my speakers with post nut clarity......didn't have to force myself, anyone with an ear for great production can feel it. You don't like it because it's not what u expect from dre .. But let's say it was branded as king mez's debut album, u would call it a classic and best album of the year. That's the power of the mind in terms of relatively.

But thats exactly my point, King Mez is wack ergo making this his debut instead of Dre's finale wouldn't change my perspective on this frisbee. Even a die hard fan as yourself must admit (even if it is quietly and to yourself) that the album is nowhere near ANY of Dres releases (yes Aftermath Presents... I'm looking at you too) in any category you'd care to pick.

I'll also note that you said "Anyone with an ear for production" which resonates exactly with what I said about digging an instrumental version instead of those lame rhymes, horrendous flows and sub par features that attempted to pass for artistry on this album. Matter of fact the verses are so bad they detract from my enjoyment of the beats and mastering which once again proves my point (at least from my ears and eyes) that this is Dres weakest album ever.

I PREFER CHRONIC OVER 2001 AND 2001 OVER COMPTON .. BUT THATS NOT THE POINT, THE ALBUM IS STILL EXCEPTIONAL FROM A PRODUCTION STANDPOINT. AND WIT DRE, VOCALS IS PART OF PRODUCTION, I DIDNT HEAR ONE WHACK FLOW ON THE ENTIRE ALBUM, JUST A DIFFERENT SOUND, AN EVOLUTION OF HIS PREVIOUS WORK MORE CONSISTENT WITH TODAY. NOT EVEN CLOSE TO SUB-PAR. THE STAND OUT TRACKS ARE PHENOMENAL. IN A DAYS WORK, ALL ON ME, DEEP WATER, ANIMALS, SATISFICTION, TALKIN TO MY DIARY, LOOSE CANNONS, FO THE LOVE OF MONEY, ETC..... IF U DONT LIKE THESE, U DONT LIKE GOOD HIP-HOP.

bigpimpin20

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2016, 12:44:56 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EH0i0b8wFYg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EH0i0b8wFYg</a>

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2016, 03:16:03 PM »
How can something that was a chore to sit through in the first place even have replay ability. Are you a masochist? Listening to it with your beats headphones lined with sandpaper, wearing leather studded under pants (with the studs on the inside) on a battered public bus trundling over potholes?
lolllll i tell my homie this all the time, how hilarious it is too see cats saying something was awful yet they force themselves to sit through it 10 more times and try to convince themselves that they like it

Ain't that the truth, you know the first time you heard the keys for Still DRE it was dope and it is still is, no matter how many spins you give it it can just pop up on random one day and have you vibing like the first time you played it, because its a hit. Hell you can pick out pretty much any Dre track pre Compton (well at leasts over 60% of his catalog to be accurate) and it will do the same thing.

Compton on the other hand was quickly rushed to allow Dre to wash his hands of Detox and its hype that he could never deliver on - not by your expectations but his - by pretending it wasn't a Dre album per se and just created for the movie yada yada yada. It was a weak concept with poor execution, some interesting beats here and there thematically speaking, generally piss poor lyrics and the usual outstanding mastering.

As I said back when it was released I'd love to hear the instrumental version and I'll guarantee you that Dre has tracks that he'd recorded for Detox that excrete all over this release even though they'll either be barebones, hardly finished or only have 492 different vocal takes - none of which were good enough for Dre.

A lot of people like it because they WANT to like it, thus they manufacture proof as they lie to themselves but the fact that this album came and went like a fart in the breeze speaks volumes when it comes to drops by the mighty D R E as he might as well have called this album "Amnesia".

I'd always suspected this album was his way to sacrifice Detox by releasing something sub par and then following it up with a 1/2 punch and knocking it out of the park with a follow up album that was mindblowingly different that combined his signature drums with orchestral pieces or something equally left field as I'd been hedging on his musical score to the planets concept being what he really wanted to do instead of treading the gangsta rap path again where there really was nothing left to be said and thus he'd use Compton as a counterpoint to springboard a grander sound and fanbase.

If you're reading this Dre, it still ain't too late and I want 5% of the adjusted net for giving you this plan.  8)

I liked that album because the production was great, the vocals were on point, the concepts were tremendous, the overall sound rattled my speakers with post nut clarity......didn't have to force myself, anyone with an ear for great production can feel it. You don't like it because it's not what u expect from dre .. But let's say it was branded as king mez's debut album, u would call it a classic and best album of the year. That's the power of the mind in terms of relatively.

But thats exactly my point, King Mez is wack ergo making this his debut instead of Dre's finale wouldn't change my perspective on this frisbee. Even a die hard fan as yourself must admit (even if it is quietly and to yourself) that the album is nowhere near ANY of Dres releases (yes Aftermath Presents... I'm looking at you too) in any category you'd care to pick.

I'll also note that you said "Anyone with an ear for production" which resonates exactly with what I said about digging an instrumental version instead of those lame rhymes, horrendous flows and sub par features that attempted to pass for artistry on this album. Matter of fact the verses are so bad they detract from my enjoyment of the beats and mastering which once again proves my point (at least from my ears and eyes) that this is Dres weakest album ever.

I PREFER CHRONIC OVER 2001 AND 2001 OVER COMPTON .. BUT THATS NOT THE POINT, THE ALBUM IS STILL EXCEPTIONAL FROM A PRODUCTION STANDPOINT. AND WIT DRE, VOCALS IS PART OF PRODUCTION, I DIDNT HEAR ONE WHACK FLOW ON THE ENTIRE ALBUM, JUST A DIFFERENT SOUND, AN EVOLUTION OF HIS PREVIOUS WORK MORE CONSISTENT WITH TODAY. NOT EVEN CLOSE TO SUB-PAR. THE STAND OUT TRACKS ARE PHENOMENAL. IN A DAYS WORK, ALL ON ME, DEEP WATER, ANIMALS, SATISFICTION, TALKIN TO MY DIARY, LOOSE CANNONS, FO THE LOVE OF MONEY, ETC..... IF U DONT LIKE THESE, U DONT LIKE GOOD HIP-HOP.

I HEAR WHAT YOU'RE SAYING AND CAN SEE THAT YOU MUST REALLY FEEL PASSIONATE ABOUT IT TOO SO ILL TAKE THIS MOMENT TO SAY THAT I AGREE THAT CHRONIC IS BETTER THAN 2001 AND 2001 IS BETTER THAN COMPTON SO IN EFFECT WE'RE SAYING THE SAME THING, LIKE A SIMILE OR EVEN A SMILEY IF YOUR DYSLEXIC  ;D

Sccit

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2016, 04:43:40 PM »

I HEAR WHAT YOU'RE SAYING AND CAN SEE THAT YOU MUST REALLY FEEL PASSIONATE ABOUT IT TOO SO ILL TAKE THIS MOMENT TO SAY THAT I AGREE THAT CHRONIC IS BETTER THAN 2001 AND 2001 IS BETTER THAN COMPTON SO IN EFFECT WE'RE SAYING THE SAME THING, LIKE A SIMILE OR EVEN A SMILEY IF YOUR DYSLEXIC  ;D

Almost .. Just that you're sayin it's whack, and I'm sayin it's exceptional

jman91331

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2016, 01:03:53 AM »
Listening a year later, it sound just as good if not better than when I first heard it. I still hear lil things that I didn't catch before. I don't know if some of you cats are gassed off the name Dr. Dre and expected some other shit, but this album is dope and absolutely far from wack as some of you cats have described it. He tried some new things with the flow and I appreciate it. I think most of you were comparing it to Dr. Dre 2001 which came out 17 years ago which isn't fair. Let's compare it to the shit that's out now and ain't nothin fuckin with it. His earlier albums had some gigantic hits on it but to me, sonically I thinks it's his best sounding (not necessarily produced) album in his catalog.

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2016, 04:28:42 AM »

Breh it is wack as it falls far short of what Dre usually creates in terms of re playability and the whole head nod factor I've come to associate with this mans production for the past 30 years. The gap between this album and the rest is immense in terms of everything from impact, quality of the songs, the timeless factor and the whole game changing aspect. None of it was present as Dre, for the first time, tried to ride current trends to get hot instead of carving his own lane as he'd done previously, hence its a wack album.

The fact that I can just state this as a fact, move on and enjoy breakfast whilst you've got to sit there and force your point speaks volumes though doesn't it? Even though you agree that its not anywhere near his previous work you then still got to cop pleas and say its exceptional, make up your mind - is it oochie walley or is it one mic?  ;D

sicaluffa

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2016, 07:16:04 AM »
Honestly, I could care less what anybody thinks, but I love this album. Still listen to it. I prefer this album over 2001. The Chronic will always be Dre's best album, but Compton is better overall album to me then 2001. Granted, 2001 had more hits that were great, but I didn't like half that album. Lots of filler to me.

Sccit

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2016, 10:35:42 AM »

Breh it is wack as it falls far short of what Dre usually creates in terms of re playability and the whole head nod factor I've come to associate with this mans production for the past 30 years. The gap between this album and the rest is immense in terms of everything from impact, quality of the songs, the timeless factor and the whole game changing aspect. None of it was present as Dre, for the first time, tried to ride current trends to get hot instead of carving his own lane as he'd done previously, hence its a wack album.

The fact that I can just state this as a fact, move on and enjoy breakfast whilst you've got to sit there and force your point speaks volumes though doesn't it? Even though you agree that its not anywhere near his previous work you then still got to cop pleas and say its exceptional, make up your mind - is it oochie walley or is it one mic?  ;D

You the one typin up paragraphs after we both came to our conclusions .. Seems like u got a lil somethin extra beyond music goin there

bigpimpin20

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2016, 10:47:31 AM »
even tho many people here thinks dres older work is better than his new stuff but honestly i ratha listen to compton just cuz ive already heard 2001 and chronic 10000000 times lol

me1

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2016, 06:36:17 PM »
For me it's great music for the most part, and i bumped it more than anything else this past year, but nowhere to the extent I have his past work. That's just the bottom line. There were no moments, lyrically, that I wanted to put on repeat. Again and again and again.

I damn near listened to 2001 and Chronic 24/7 for weeks if not months...and then still in heavy rotation for years and years.

This wasn't up to his standards but I'm appreciative I got it. Better something that ranks third in his catalog than nothing at all

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Holler at your Uncle Snoopy..."
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2016, 07:25:21 PM »
Has anybody actually witnessed anyone bumping this album?  Like been out and heard it playing from a car stereo system or at a party or club?

I mean I consider it an instant classic but its like I'm the only one.  I even played "Talk About It" at a party once and there was no reaction.  And I played it for some of my friends in the ride.... And again no reaction......

Has anyone played this for anyone in person (outside the Internet) and what was the feedback?

Currently based in L.A., and now that I give it some thought I rarely recall hearing anyone bumping this album on a consistent or even occasional basis. To put it in perspective, I can think of several times where I've overheard people blasting, say, Still Brazy by YG. There was of course the immediate hype around Compton from longtime fans like ourselves, but I feel like that died down quickly. As others have pointed out, the lack of promotion (no music videos; no interviews from Dr. Dre on the project, etc.) didn't exactly help its cause.

As far as how it holds up, the highest commendation I can give Compton is that Dre didn't disappoint me after a decade and change of waiting for his next project. There are songs that I play more than others, but I think it was a consistently strong body of work that can be played from front to back. At this point I couldn't have asked for much more.
"Shit ain't all peaches and cream, and I ain't Sara Lee, bitch!" - Lloyd Banks

"I'm Morpheus in this Hip-Hop Matrix, exposing fake shit." - Common

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

"Look at all these conscious rappers - guess who influenced them?" - KRS One

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2016, 04:23:11 AM »

The fact that I can just state this as a fact, move on and enjoy breakfast whilst you've got to sit there and force your point speaks volumes though doesn't it? Even though you agree that its not anywhere near his previous work you then still got to cop pleas and say its exceptional, make up your mind - is it oochie walley or is it one mic?  ;D

You the one typin up paragraphs after we both came to our conclusions .. Seems like u got a lil somethin extra beyond music goin there

Sup pot, they call me kettle and I gotta say your hue looking kinda familiar...  ;)

Sccit

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2016, 12:45:04 PM »

Sup pot, they call me kettle and I gotta say your hue looking kinda familiar...  ;)

pot? like marijuana??

Smoke some n bump this joint again .. It bangs 8)

Westcoastfanatic

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2016, 01:26:16 PM »
Agree with eyeball. Not one Compton track sticks in my head. No beat, melody, rhyme, nothing. Only one decent track to me, "Talking To My Diary" and I would rate that track like a 6.5 outta 10.
IS DETOX NEXT? Don't think so.

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2016, 02:27:57 PM »
Agree with eyeball. Not one Compton track sticks in my head. No beat, melody, rhyme, nothing. Only one decent track to me, "Talking To My Diary" and I would rate that track like a 6.5 outta 10.

Shh, you're supposed to say it the other way round with the loud part quiet and the quiet part loud.  ;D