Author Topic: Cypress Hill vs House Of Pain (Question)  (Read 566 times)

Okka

Cypress Hill vs House Of Pain (Question)
« on: September 14, 2016, 02:17:09 AM »
Always been a huge fan of both groups, but i still don't know what their beef was about. Can somebody tell me what happened? DJ Muggs "dissed" them on "Temples Of Boom".

doggfather

Re: Cypress Hill vs House Of Pain (Question)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 05:08:47 AM »
interesting question.

muggs made some remix for their debut albums, singles.

hop members are soul assassins.

b-real was on brand you can trust, and everlast solo albums too.

was it a REAL beef?
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 04:11:25 PM »
Strictly Hip Hop Muggs said that.

Nah not no real serious " beef". House Of Pain wanted to go in a different musical direction then Soul Assassins. Gotta remember Muggs did the bulk of production for 3 groups.

3rd album dropped all produced by Lethal and it was a dope album. I thought at times Same As It Ever Was sounded like Black Sunday.

But Muggs and Everlast are good, I seen them in concert together a while back and Everlast was on the 2nd Soul Assassins compilation. I just think at the time Muggs was a little upset with HOP leaving but they are like brothers at the end of the day

BIGWORM

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 04:13:59 PM »
They really didn't beef. Yes Sen Dogg said " fuckers want a piece of the pie, they can fuck off and die" I take it that HOP was pissed Soul Assassins were making money off them. " house of pain aint down with us" But I think that was more along the lines of stating they left the soul assassins camp. DJ Muggs was the executive producer for House Of Pain pain and produced 8 or more tracks plus remixes on their debut album and 6 or more tracks plus remixs on their second album as well as over seeing the albums.

They also had a similar issue with Funkdoobiest. But that was because Muggs wanted them to be like a "joking funk super her character group" but Son Doobie wanted to be "like Nas" and be lyrical. I read that in a muggs interview.

Never the less when both House Of Pain & Funkdoobiest lost the Soul Assassin imprint they were not the same...

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 05:38:26 PM »
They really didn't beef. Yes Sen Dogg said " fuckers want a piece of the pie, they can fuck off and die" I take it that HOP was pissed Soul Assassins were making money off them. " house of pain aint down with us" But I think that was more along the lines of stating they left the soul assassins camp. DJ Muggs was the executive producer for House Of Pain pain and produced 8 or more tracks plus remixes on their debut album and 6 or more tracks plus remixs on their second album as well as over seeing the albums.

They also had a similar issue with Funkdoobiest. But that was because Muggs wanted them to be like a "joking funk super her character group" but Son Doobie wanted to be "like Nas" and be lyrical. I read that in a muggs interview.

Never the less when both House Of Pain & Funkdoobiest lost the Soul Assassin imprint they were not the same...

I can see both sides, especially being both HOP and Funkdoobiest had their own producers, Lethal and DJ Ralph M. I liked Troubleshooters from Funkdoobiest and Trush Crushed To The Earth Shall Rise Again from HOP because it showcased Ralph and Lethal more. Flipside both albums were slept on and not promoted much.

I honestly feel like and Muggs said this in interviews, the original concept of the Soul Assassins compilations was to be the crew (HOP, Cypress, Funkdoobiest, Whooliganz, etc). I would still like to see that album in some form but Muggs said he doubts it would happen.

BIGWORM

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 11:41:10 PM »
^ yeah man I feel you. Also another HUGE contributor to the S.A. sound way T-Ray. He dropped some of the best beats for Cypress, H.O.P., funkdoobiest and tha whooliganz.

Soul Assassins was my favourite hip hop camp ever. I think the closest we got to a group was the "the serial rhyme killaz" album(b-real,son doobie,mellow man ace & someone else) the album never dropped in the stores but I got it somewhere on one of my old external drives.

I still bought Troubleshooters and Truth crushed to earth and bumped them to death, but the Muggs feel was missing and wasn't the same not to mention T-Funk and Danny boy missing.

One thing I commend them for, they're very silent when they had internal beef. I've read and seen interviews where they're thowing shade at each other but never really talked shit or let the fans know what is going on.

I refuse to call any track a Cypress Hill track unless it's produced by Muggs. That's what made em unique. But around that 4 album they started to slip, how the hell is an established group go add a new member Barron Hicks/b-smooth(call o' da wild) and expect a long time fan to just be cool with it lol

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 09:17:26 AM »
^ yeah man I feel you. Also another HUGE contributor to the S.A. sound way T-Ray. He dropped some of the best beats for Cypress, H.O.P., funkdoobiest and tha whooliganz.

Soul Assassins was my favourite hip hop camp ever. I think the closest we got to a group was the "the serial rhyme killaz" album(b-real,son doobie,mellow man ace & someone else) the album never dropped in the stores but I got it somewhere on one of my old external drives.

I still bought Troubleshooters and Truth crushed to earth and bumped them to death, but the Muggs feel was missing and wasn't the same not to mention T-Funk and Danny boy missing.

One thing I commend them for, they're very silent when they had internal beef. I've read and seen interviews where they're thowing shade at each other but never really talked shit or let the fans know what is going on.

I refuse to call any track a Cypress Hill track unless it's produced by Muggs. That's what made em unique. But around that 4 album they started to slip, how the hell is an established group go add a new member Barron Hicks/b-smooth(call o' da wild) and expect a long time fan to just be cool with it lol

My fav crew as well, Muggs my favorite producer and Cypress my favorite group

Everlast was also in the original Serial Rhyme Killaz group. B Real had leaked a little EP of unreleased tracks years before repackaging the group with Young De & Xzibit

Yeah I feel you with Muggs, that's what makes him great. And he really created a unique sound to each group. At the end of the day they are all super tight with each other and squashed it. I know the next Cypress record Elephants On Acid is all produced by Muggs. Said sound like its a mix of Black Sunday and Temples Of Boom

Okka

Re: Cypress Hill vs House Of Pain (Question)f
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 07:40:24 AM »
Does anybody have that Serial Rhyme Killaz album?

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 06:46:35 AM »
i remember way bay in the day there was a cypress hill feature article in URB magazine around the time temples of boom came out where they were asked about House of Pain. sen says something to the effect of "fools aint repping right, wearing leather pants n shit" and B-real was basically like, "Nah...those are the homies..." but didnt really wanna say much else. But yeah, they're super cool now and have been for years, no real beef. On a side not, i think B-Real used to ghost write for everlast sometimes...i swear on everything i love that i used to have an old tape recording of b-real freestlying on friday night flavors radio show on power 106 with the whoolaginz and he spit the same exact verse that would end up as the first verse on house of pain's song "back from the dead'. damn i wish i could find that tape.
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 09:35:42 AM »

I'll see if I can find it. It was 7 or 8 tracks

Okka

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 05:46:33 AM »

I'll see if I can find it. It was 7 or 8 tracks

Great. Hopefully you'll find it.