Author Topic: "The Cbronic" Isnt G-Funk  (Read 4140 times)

DJSpin

Re: "The Cbronic" Isnt G-Funk
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 12:56:44 PM »
Who coined the term g-funk?  Warren g?  If so then his sound is g funk. Everyone else just sounds like g funk.

BIGWORM

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 01:21:42 PM »
theres no G in EPMD because it wasnt gangsta rap
[/quote]

Agreed. But as I said I said If it was simply the sound and sampling George Clinton and Zapp Eric Sermon was pretty much one of if not the first to do it the most. I don't Consider Tha Twinz gangsta rap but I do consider them G-Funk. But these opinions could go on for ever.

Who coined the term g-funk?  Warren g?  If so then his sound is g funk. Everyone else just sounds like g funk.

2-Pac on an Above the LAW~Call it what you want....

I believe he was the first to coin and say the phrase G-Funk on a G-Funk track that was recorded before The Chronic but came out after The Chronic.

Sccit

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 03:44:34 PM »

Agreed. But as I said I said If it was simply the sound and sampling George Clinton and Zapp Eric Sermon was pretty much one of if not the first to do it the most. I don't Consider Tha Twinz gangsta rap but I do consider them G-Funk. But these opinions could go on for ever.

I believe he was the first to coin and say the phrase G-Funk on a G-Funk track that was recorded before The Chronic but came out after The Chronic.

tha twinz is g-funk because warren g produced them .. they might not bang but their sound is rooted in gangsta rap

HighEyeCue

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 08:45:25 AM »
I think we should just ban Tha Psycho Hustla from this forum FOREVER.

i would but he does provide entertainment so i kinda look forward to his funnystyle posts.

Yeah, i guess he's a part of DubCC.

didn't realize it was Psycho Hustla

classic poster :laugh:

Okka

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 12:44:05 PM »

tha twinz is g-funk because warren g produced them .. they might not bang but their sound is rooted in gangsta rap

They both claim Rollin 20 Crip.

Sccit

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 12:50:41 PM »

They both claim Rollin 20 Crip.

i'm not surprised.. so that's that

gfunkin2

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 01:07:04 PM »
a lot of songs don't have the smooth and refined sound of "heyday" G-Funk (for instance Conversation) and have a more rugged sound which relies heavily on breakbeats

This is more or less how I distinguish between the Compton sound and the Long Beach sound.  I mean, there was the overall umbrella term "G-Funk," but there were different types of subgenres within G-Funk, and the sound that came out of Long Beach (epitomized most prominently by Warren G) is quite different from Dre and Quik's sound at the time, imo, (which was harder, less smooth), which was altogether different still from the sound emanating from the Bay (e.g. Spice 1, e-40).

your argument fits nicely into mine actually. I agree with you about the various subgenres and the smoother type of G-FUnk coming from Long Beach. but that type of smooth G-Funk emerged a little bit later on, and that's what I refer by "heyday G-Funk". Quik Is the Name had a more rugged sound as well but Quik's style evolved with the time and became smoother and more refined, relying more on live instrumentations (and borrowing from other genres like jazz, reggae, etc.). so we see it's not only Compton VS Long Beach.

^Bay area's style was called "mobb muzik". Spice-1 Amerikkka's Nightmare had a cpl G-Funk sounding tracks on it.

G-Funk goes beyond just sampling or sounding like George Clinton or Zapp.

If you guy's consider that only "G-Funk" tip your hats off to
Eric Sermon/EPMD because he was pretty much the first to go all out doing it.

It goes definitely beyond that, it's how it's sampled and a greater emphasis on production. the mixing is different too. and as Scitt said, the overall themes. but Erick Sermon later produced music that can be considered G-Funk and was one of the main east coast artists to be featured on and collaborate on a regular basis with west coast acts (Kam, Ice Cube, Too $hort, Quik, Xzibit, etc.)

as for Mobb Music,  i'd say it's a cousin genre. similar inspirations (artists sampled or interpolated), similar vibes, similar melodic approach but different techniques, drums and sounds. but as I said, a lot of similarities too (use of live musicians). there's many subgenres within what became known as mobb music, too. the local scenes (Richmond, EPA, Vallejo, Oakland) had distinct sounds from one another. and on many albums you had typical G-Funk sounding songs (for example Something to Ride To or the Hidden Track on Sean T's Pimp Lyrics & Dollar Signs, Another Funky Verse on D-Moe's first album, Ain't No Love on 1990-Sick, Peace to My Nine on Spice One etc.). and you got songs that have both a G-Funk & Mob sound (Dubee's My Thang).

You got that Sean T Hidden Track?! I love that album but haven't ever heard of that track.

Overall, ridiculous OP but a lot of great replies here. G funk is actually more diverse than many people give it credit for, and often you see that diversity on the same album. Perhaps my favorite example of this is on Dogg Food, which features one of the hardest beats that samples Knee Deep in "Respect." (up there with Pac's "U Can't See Me"). And yet it also features the summertime party classic Let's Play House, which is sampled from a nursery rhyme. That's gangsta funk too  8)

bouli77

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 10:51:42 AM »
You got that Sean T Hidden Track?! I love that album but haven't ever heard of that track.

I don't have any mp3 of the song, but here's a youtube link.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7w08WqwDY0A" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7w08WqwDY0A</a>

jman91331

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2017, 08:50:32 AM »
I guess the op is right. The way he spelled it (The Cbronic) because the album doesn't exist. So there is no funk on there, G or otherwise. By the way of you're gonna start a troll thread with blasphemous statements towards one of the greatest albums in music, get the title right bruh.

Okka

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 04:20:54 AM »
This isn't a troll thread. Haven't you seen Tha Psycho Hustlas other posts or threads?

dexter

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2018, 02:39:25 PM »
I think we should just ban Tha Psycho Hustla from this forum FOREVER.

i would but he does provide entertainment so i kinda look forward to his funnystyle posts.

Yeah, i guess he's a part of DubCC.
end the troll

didn't realize it was Psycho Hustla

classic poster :laugh: