Author Topic: “Surviving Compton: Dre, Suge & Me” - Michelle Movie  (Read 8997 times)

Sccit

Re: “Surviving Compton: Dre, Suge & Me” - Michelle Movie
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2016, 09:54:02 AM »
I thought it was entertaining and its gettin some pretty good reviews as well

Okka

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2016, 10:26:58 AM »
Lol, Dre one of the biggest pussies in hip hop if this is true. Not only hitting women, but also crying. And just like SOC they got the dates all wrong. Like Cube leaving NWA in 91. He left in 89.

Yeah, i thought Dre started smokin' weed after he left Ruthless? That's one of the things that Eazy dissed him for. Sayin' he don't smoke on "Express Yourself" and then naming his album "The Chronic".

Sccit

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2016, 12:48:07 PM »
Lol, Dre one of the biggest pussies in hip hop if this is true. Not only hitting women, but also crying. And just like SOC they got the dates all wrong. Like Cube leaving NWA in 91. He left in 89.

Yeah, i thought Dre started smokin' weed after he left Ruthless? That's one of the things that Eazy dissed him for. Sayin' he don't smoke on "Express Yourself" and then naming his album "The Chronic".

Definitely some inconsistencies

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2016, 02:10:48 PM »
This shit was awful. No story, no nothing. Funny how they just make her look like a damsel in distress and just shrug off the fact that she had babies by both Dre and Suge like it was nothing.

I actually hope Dre's lawyers go to work on this one.

Westcoastfanatic

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2016, 02:12:03 PM »

Yeah, stuff like that pisses me off. Can't be a good movie to me with all these inaccuracies
IS DETOX NEXT? Don't think so.

Blood$

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2016, 05:05:09 PM »
it was actually worse than the Aaliyah biopic but it keeps you more entertained just finding all the holes in the story and laughing at how over/under dramatized it was at times lol

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2016, 08:16:16 PM »
I saw this movie, what the fucc??

So wait a second she legit basically says she didn't really love dre or suge ("not my type") yet she was with them cause they were taking care of her...then she had a baby by Dre, sleeps with his enemy Suge, and admits she wanted to fucc Pac (on Wendy Williams)---well there is a word for all of this...

-Whore-  that's what they call women on the streets who do all that shit and way shit usuallly go s down in the streets is that either they end up getting smacked up for that shit or the men's lives they play with end up having beef and violence as well.

All that said this was stilll very entertaining as a movie, cause really any movie documenting my favorite artists I'd be into.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Blood$

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2016, 08:53:58 PM »
Danny Boy was pretty much on point about her when he said she was the devil lol

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2016, 10:06:11 PM »
I'm about to check this out right now.

EDIT: Jamie Kennedy as Jerry Heller? Really?

Not the best acting job, but they actually made Jerry Heller look like a pretty good guy in this one.  Too bad he wasn't alive to see it because I think he would've been happy.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

Sccit

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2016, 12:47:09 AM »

Not the best acting job, but they actually made Jerry Heller look like a pretty good guy in this one.  Too bad he wasn't alive to see it because I think he would've been happy.

Yes .. His portrayal in this movie seemed more accurate than in SOC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2016, 03:13:37 AM »

It's kind of a double standard when blacks derail at caricatures that are made of them, but it's okay for black filmmakers to make a greedy-Jew-caricature out of Jerry.

Yes .. His portrayal in this movie seemed more accurate than in SOC

The Predator

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2016, 04:06:39 AM »
Michel’le Has More Bad News for Dr. Dre Post Biopic: A Tell-All Book

For Dr. Dre, payback for his alleged beatings of Michel’le back in the day is turning to be a real bitch as they say.

That’s because in the wake of her Lifetime biopic “Surviving Compton: Dre, Suge & Michel’le,” the diminutive singer with the big voice , is not through with him, yet.

Guess what? Over the weekend, she revealed that she is in the process of writing a book about her relationship with him. She shared the news while responding to a fan on Twitter.

Meanwhile, her biopic aired and received rave reviews from viewers. The made for TV film via Lifetime shared her life story, along with revealing the alleged abuse that she received at the hands of Dr. Dre throughout the course of their relationship, a claim he not only denies, but threated to sue the network and Sony if the film aired. Well ovviously it did, so we’ll see if he goes through with the threat.

In fact, he film’s executive producer, Leslie Greif, confirmed that Dre did in fact issue a cease and desist letter to Sony Pictures to try to stop the film from airing.

“I heard Sony said they vetted the film and stand by it, and will not allow Michel’le’s voice to be silenced. They’re supporting this picture … These are not new stories. Dr. Dre and Suge Knight have not seen the film to my knowledge, and are presupposing what they did and how it might make them appear on screen.”

As you can tell by the title, “Surviving Compton: Dre, Suge & Michel’le,” the film also portrays Michel’le’s relationship with Suge Knight, the co-founder of Death Row Records. According to theJasmineBrand, neither Dr. Dre or Suge (who is still in lockdown at LA County Jail on murder charges) have yet to respond publicly or through their reps about the film.

The new NWA movie depicts Michel'le's abuse by Dr Dre – but is it true?

The Lifetime biopic Surviving Compton fills in the gaps left by the other NWA movie – and reveals that women in the rap stars’ orbit were callously abused

Last year’s blockbuster biopic Straight Outta Compton chronicled the rise of gangsta rap pioneers NWA and their label, Ruthless records. But the film almost entirely neglected a lynchpin member of the crew: Michel’le.

The late 80s R&B star is the subject of a new biopic, Surviving Compton: Dre, Suge & Me, which debuted over the weekend on Lifetime. It covers much of the same ground as the NWA film – the volatile late 80s and 90s, when NWA’s hardcore hip-hop swept the nation. But Straight Outta Compton didn’t show how Michel’le’s radio-friendly ballads and uptempo dance tracks helped pave the way for Ruthless’ mainstream credibility. It also failed to portray NWA producer Dr Dre’s repeated violence against women – violence that Michel’le, Dre’s former long-term girlfriend and mother of his son Marcel, alleges as well.

Surviving Compton seeks to set the record straight. Though the production values don’t rival those of last year’s hit (the producers were unable to secure access to NWA’s music, for example), it fills in large gaps in the story.

Prior to its release, Dr Dre’s lawyers threatened legal action against the film-makers if the movie contained scenes of him assaulting her, which he denies. But Surviving Compton nonetheless contains numerous chilling sequences of Dre beating her, and even one where he shoots at her. He’s otherwise portrayed as a cheating, boozing manipulator who neglects her once he becomes famous. Michel’le’s next love interest – Suge Knight, by now Dre’s arch rival – doesn’t come off much better.

The question many viewers will have after their viewing: is the film accurate?

I would say, for the most part, yes. I extensively interviewed Michel’le and other survivors of Dre’s alleged abuse for my new book Original Gangstas: the Untold Story of Dr Dre, Eazy-E, Ice Cube, Tupac Shakur, and the Birth of West Coast Rap, and investigated their claims. The film largely echoes Michel’le’s accounts to me, though she never went to police with her allegations – unlike other women including television host Dee Barnes and Lisa Johnson, the mother of three of Dre’s children who alleged he beat her many times, including while she was pregnant. (Dre pled no contest to beating Barnes, and received probation, while Johnson was granted a restraining order against him. A Ruthless rapper named Tairrie B also maintains that Dre beat her.)

To be sure, Surviving Compton glosses over many details. It depicts the squeaky-voiced South Central native Michel’le being plucked from obscurity from a job folding clothes at the mall to sing with Dr Dre’s first group, but neglects a funny detail I uncovered – that her initial stage name was Baby, and she walked around with a pacifier around her neck. Other details – that NWA were marijuana fans, or that Suge Knight intimidated Tupac Shakur and bossed him around – are entirely false.

But the soul of the story rings true. Michel’le’s character, as a young girl, is taught by the women in her life that men beating women is normal, and should be tolerated. She endures Dre and Suge’s abuse for the promise of money, fame and – most importantly – love. Despite her early success she never reaches her singing potential, partly because she’s stuck raising Dre’s child in his absence. Suge promises her a fresh start, both personally and professionally, and they too have a child together, but eventually his violent tendencies sabotage everything. The performances of Rhyon Nicole Brown (as Michel’le) and R Marcos Taylor (reprising his Straight Outta Compton role as Suge Knight) are particularly strong. A surprisingly sincere Jamie Kennedy, meanwhile, plays recently deceased NWA manager Jerry Heller, who somehow comes off better than anyone else.

Mirroring the arc of films like the Tina Turner biopic What’s Love Got to Do With It? the story ends with Michel’le’s affirmation of self, and before the final credits we receive great news: she’s recording a new album and touring again. While it’s likely that Surviving Compton won’t endure like Straight Outta Compton, owing to its smaller budget and platform, if there were any justice in the world the two films’ DVDs would be sold as a bundle. After all, the story of NWA is simply incomplete without the story of Michel’le.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 04:31:38 AM by The Predator »

Okka

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2016, 05:29:40 AM »
A book? She's just trying to make some money.

The Predator

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2016, 06:29:06 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eZwEPQ9ZP8s" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eZwEPQ9ZP8s</a>

Okka

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2016, 07:40:15 AM »
Back when Michel'le was a guest on The Breakfast Club she said that Dre gave her 5 black eyes, but in the movie she was gettin' beat up all the time. I wouldn't be suprised if some of the scenes in the movie were made up for real. Dre shouldn't have hit her even once though.