Author Topic: Rappers who should of but never could make a classic album  (Read 3224 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Rappers who should of but never could make a classic album
« on: September 23, 2016, 02:12:37 AM »
Royce-  Had a classic unreleased album and scattered bangers but never could make a classic

Styles P -  This dude comes hard as fucc on features and shit like that like with Akon on "Locked Up" and Mos Def on "My Life" so you know he's capable and has range but he never could do it

Tray Dee-  Maybe with the right mix of guest features to fill the void in subject matter he could've pulled off a classic.  Some are saying his new one may be classic but I haven't heard it yet.  He could've also had a classic with that LBC Crew album if Suge wouldn't of stood in the way of that project.

Jadakiss - He wrote most of Puffy's classic No Way Out album so he had a lot of talent with the pen and nearly flawless mic skills, but could never put together a classic album neither with the Lox or solo.

Nate Dogg - of course Nate is one of the all time greats.  Has had so many great songs in his career and was an innovator.  Warren had a classic with G Funk Era, if Suge had not been in the way I think Warren, Daz, and Dre could've produced Nate a classic in those days.  Nates first album had several gems but too much filler as well.

...who else...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 02:14:08 AM by Infinite Trapped In 1996 »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Eddz

Re: Rappers who should of but never could make a classic album
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 03:04:09 AM »
Crooked I for sure and I'm not sure if I'd classify any of Beanie Sigel, Method Man or Busta Rhymes albums as classics

Okka

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 05:39:42 AM »
Good topic. Jadakiss comes to my mind right away, he's one of my favorites from East, but he really doesn't have a album that you can bump from beginning to the end.

Blood$

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 11:01:50 AM »
Good topic. Jadakiss comes to my mind right away, he's one of my favorites from East, but he really doesn't have a album that you can bump from beginning to the end.

Kiss Of Death is a certified classic, not a single track to skip on that album

Crooked I for sure and I'm not sure if I'd classify any of Beanie Sigel, Method Man or Busta Rhymes albums as classics

Beanie Sigel - The B. Coming is a classic, but agreed on those other dudes

Okka

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 01:26:54 PM »
"Kiss Of Death" is my favorite album from Jada, but it's not a classic in my opinion. Beanie doesn't have a classic either. Both are still great rappers though.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 01:39:39 PM by Okka »

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 08:45:52 PM »
I can honestly say I bought Kiss of Death the day it came out, and bumped that everyday for a long time. With that said, it's not a classic. It's a solid 4.5 mic album, but classic albums either define an era or redefine the game.

I'd say Ras Kass is the first artist to come to mind. His first two albums were great and his third album I have both versions Goldyn Chyld and Van Gogh. Both could have been, but just never was released.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 09:40:41 PM »

Statik Kxng is a classic record, fuck outta here

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 11:45:55 PM »

Method Man did have a classic with 36 Chambers.  I was counting group albums on my list but definitely Meth should've been able to make a classic solo his first time around... I mean when your lead singles are classics like "Bring the Pain" and "All I Need" and you got Rza behind the boards he should've been able to round out a classic on that album but didn't...I don't remember any stand out cuts other than the singles
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:55:32 PM by Infinite Trapped In 1996 »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 12:41:47 AM »
I can honestly say I bought Kiss of Death the day it came out, and bumped that everyday for a long time. With that said, it's not a classic. It's a solid 4.5 mic album, but classic albums either define an era or redefine the game.

I'd say Ras Kass is the first artist to come to mind. His first two albums were great and his third album I have both versions Goldyn Chyld and Van Gogh. Both could have been, but just never was released.

How could you forget Soul On Ice.  Any Ras Kass fan would tell you that is a classic

Eddz

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 02:28:11 AM »

It's a solid album but not a classic my friend.

Ludacris is another that comes to mind, he's mad underrated and his first two albums are really solid but is short of a classic album

HighEyeCue

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 07:29:34 AM »
Ras Kass first album is def classic IMO, I consider it the west coast version of Illmatic

Crooked I has classic verses...but not albums

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 08:55:51 AM »
Method Man solo work comes to mind first.
"Now you're facing me, I'm your ultimate challenger.  It's the avenger, your fate is on my calendar"-Guru from "So What's Up"

Blood$

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 08:21:01 AM »

LOL

Blood$

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 08:22:48 AM »

It's a solid album but not a classic my friend.

Ludacris is another that comes to mind, he's mad underrated and his first two albums are really solid but is short of a classic album

word I was gonna come in here saying Ludacris has a few albums that I can almost bump front to back but there's always at least a handful of filler tracks

Red Light District would be his closest to classic, I'd give that one like 4.5/5

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 08:01:39 AM »

How could you forget Soul On Ice.  Any Ras Kass fan would tell you that is a classic

Ras Kass first album is def classic IMO, I consider it the west coast version of Illmatic

Crooked I has classic verses...but not albums

Hold on, a street classic album, yes, Soul on Ice was a straight street classic album. It's up there with It's On (Dr. Dre) = 187um Killa, Operation Stackola and Streetz Iz A Mutha. But it's not no west Illmatic. I was just talking more on that full on classic album in terms of full on commercial and street success. To me, Ras Kass could have and should have been WAY more. Goldyn Chyld or Van Gogh should have been 5 mic in Source. But record label drama prevented that.