Author Topic: Rappers who should of but never could make a classic album  (Read 3260 times)

BIGWORM

Re: Rappers who should of but never could make a classic album
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 11:41:02 AM »
Nate Dogg G-Funk Classics, Vol. 1 & 2 is a classic in my opinion. You must remember he isn't a hip hop artist he's a R&B singer. So for what that album was it's a classic.

But I'm going to have to go with what a previous poster said. It's disappointing that Method Man never had a classic album as far as the west coast goes, it would have been nice to see B-Real of Cypress Hill with a classic solo album.

Sccit

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 01:45:25 AM »
Soul on ice is a classic

G-funk classics vol 1 & 2 as well

doggfather

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 03:33:50 AM »
ok, lets strat with that, what is classic to you guys?

To me: worldwide(!) commercial and street success. BOTH. Like chronic, doggystyle, MMLP, 36 chambers, illmatic etc...

I aint use personal classic, or street classic terms, just classic.

Those terms (personal, street) aint real terms, just for fans who want to say their fav albums, or rappers are classics.

While i am a big fan of Ras Kass i have tosay SOI is not a classic record. It has big street succes, yes, 4 sure,, but commercial? Hell no. Not on the year when released, not on sales, nothin.

Same as  all crooked i, or jadakiss albums.

Or Nate Dogg, he IS a legend, GOAT hooker in the game, but he never released any classic solo album in his life.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Sccit

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 09:20:18 AM »

To me: worldwide(!) commercial and street success. BOTH. Like chronic, doggystyle, MMLP, 36 chambers, illmatic etc...

Those terms (personal, street) aint real terms, just for fans who want to say their fav albums, or rappers are classics.

While i am a big fan of Ras Kass i have tosay SOI is not a classic record. It has big street succes, yes, 4 sure,, but commercial? Hell no. Not on the year when released, not on sales, nothin.

Same as  all crooked i, or jadakiss albums.

Or Nate Dogg, he IS a legend, GOAT hooker in the game, but he never released any classic solo album in his life.

Classic has nothin to do with sales .. It has to do with reception and impact within the hip-hop community .. Soul on ice is a classic because it changed the overall perception of west coast hip hop and showed the world that we could spit lyrics too. Before soul on ice, lyricism was hardly prevalent on the west coast. So while it didn't do huge numbers, it's considered a classic for that reason alone.

As for nates debut, it was the first of its kind and had hitters front to back, including many timeless joints .. And for that reason, it's a classic in its own right as well.  

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 11:20:15 AM »

Classic has nothin to do with sales .. It has to do with reception and impact within the hip-hop community .. Soul on ice is a classic because it changed the overall perception of west coast hip hop and showed the world that we could spit lyrics too. Before soul on ice, lyricism was hardly prevalent on the west coast. So while it didn't do huge numbers, it's considered a classic for that reason alone.

As for nates debut, it was the first of its kind and had hitters front to back, including many timeless joints .. And for that reason, it's a classic in its own right as well.  

I know Sccit and I had this argument many, many, many times. And I always talk about what doggfather said, and he has the same argument. What I think Sccit is really talking about is masterpiece. A masterpiece is a piece of art that's flawless. Like to me, when I first heard To Pimp a Butterfly, I wouldn't call it classic until I saw how it did, but I would call it a masterpiece. Soul on Ice to me is a masterpiece. It's a piece of musical art that is flawless. BUT it didn't have that commercial success, either due to label issues or just the time it was released, to really make an impact. A classic album makes an impact. And also, today, it seems like any album from back in the day can be a classic now. Hip-Hop is garbage today, so when we relisten to some old music it all sounds AMAZING. But in its time that music didn't have the same impact. It's a bit unfair, but it's the reality of the situation.

Sccit

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 11:41:08 AM »

I know Sccit and I had this argument many, many, many times. And I always talk about what doggfather said, and he has the same argument. What I think Sccit is really talking about is masterpiece. A masterpiece is a piece of art that's flawless. Like to me, when I first heard To Pimp a Butterfly, I wouldn't call it classic until I saw how it did, but I would call it a masterpiece. Soul on Ice to me is a masterpiece. It's a piece of musical art that is flawless. BUT it didn't have that commercial success, either due to label issues or just the time it was released, to really make an impact. A classic album makes an impact. And also, today, it seems like any album from back in the day can be a classic now. Hip-Hop is garbage today, so when we relisten to some old music it all sounds AMAZING. But in its time that music didn't have the same impact. It's a bit unfair, but it's the reality of the situation.

Masterpiece and classic are interchangeable terms

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 11:05:22 PM »

Nates first one was pretty close... But I remember at the time it came out it felt like a bit of a letdown, also seemed to have a bit too much filler
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

doggfather

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2016, 12:34:02 AM »

Not to me.
For example sticky fingaz' blacktrash is a masterpiece from start to bottom but not a classic. Most people aint know that ever release.

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Sccit

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2016, 07:05:01 AM »

Nates first one was pretty close... But I remember at the time it came out it felt like a bit of a letdown, also seemed to have a bit too much filler

Play it again

Sccit

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2016, 07:05:26 AM »

Not to me.
For example sticky fingaz' blacktrash is a masterpiece from start to bottom but not a classic. Most people aint know that ever release.

That album is great, but not a masterpiece

The words are synonyms .. Look it up

http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/masterpiece
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:07:34 AM by Sccit »

Blood$

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2016, 09:20:53 AM »
Dr. Dre - Compton = masterpiece
50 Cent - Get Rich Or Die Trying = classic

I guess if that's the logic we're speaking on with these terms that would be an example of my definitions

LOL at Sticky Fingaz creating a masterpiece though  :laugh: no hate, to each their own but that's hilarious

doggfather

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2016, 09:21:12 AM »
The best concept album ever (my term, use bout decade) And aint a masterpiece?

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Blood$

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2016, 09:22:27 AM »
The best concept album ever (my term, use bout decade) And aint a masterpiece?

if that album is a masterpiece just because it's kinda conceptual then Kendrick's TPAB is the greatest masterpiece ever created in the history of all genres of music

doggfather

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2016, 11:16:39 AM »

I guess if that's the logic we're speaking on with these terms that would be an example of my definitions

LOL at Sticky Fingaz creating a masterpiece though  :laugh: no hate, to each their own but that's hilarious

50 as classic?

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Sccit

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2016, 12:04:08 PM »

Both classics .. I mean, grodt might be borderline, but it's right there

No difference between masterpiece and classic .. It's just some shit mdogg came up wit. The dictionary itself has those words as interchangeable.