Author Topic: Rappers who should of but never could make a classic album  (Read 3223 times)

Sccit

Re: Rappers who should of but never could make a classic album
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2016, 11:23:20 PM »
ok, lets strat with that, what is classic to you guys?

To me: worldwide(!) commercial and street success. BOTH. Like chronic, doggystyle, MMLP, 36 chambers, illmatic etc...

I aint use personal classic, or street classic terms, just classic.

Those terms (personal, street) aint real terms, just for fans who want to say their fav albums, or rappers are classics.

While i am a big fan of Ras Kass i have tosay SOI is not a classic record. It has big street succes, yes, 4 sure,, but commercial? Hell no. Not on the year when released, not on sales, nothin.

Same as  all crooked i, or jadakiss albums.

Or Nate Dogg, he IS a legend, GOAT hooker in the game, but he never released any classic solo album in his life.

Classic has nothin to do with sales .. It has to do with reception and impact within the hip-hop community .. Soul on ice is a classic because it changed the overall perception of west coast hip hop and showed the world that we could spit lyrics too. Before soul on ice, lyricism was hardly prevalent on the west coast. So while it didn't do huge numbers, it's considered a classic for that reason alone.

As for nates debut, it was the first of its kind and had hitters front to back, including many timeless joints .. And for that reason, it's a classic in its own right as well.  

Nates first one was pretty close... But I remember at the time it came out it felt like a bit of a letdown, also seemed to have a bit too much filler

Play it again

Play it again?  Are you kidding?  I never stopped listening to the album, I love that album.  I was just making a point that at the time it came out it failed to make an impact or any big impression, so it's hard to call it a classic.  Sure, a lot of people love it (including me) but not quite a classic.

It didn't make an impact because death row dropped the ball on releasing it .. Doesn't change the quality of the work

Sccit

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2016, 11:24:30 PM »
Black trash is a great album but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece or a classic

Doggfather, u got the OG version of that?

what og version?

There's a OG version of that album that came out prior to the retail

nope. u got it?

Yes

Send it to me please.

When I get my laptop back n runnin .. It's way more tracks than the released version, I believe 29 or somethin with about half of them bein skits

Okka

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2016, 02:10:35 AM »
Dr. Dre - Compton = masterpiece
50 Cent - Get Rich Or Die Trying = classic

I guess if that's the logic we're speaking on with these terms that would be an example of my definitions

LOL at Sticky Fingaz creating a masterpiece though  :laugh: no hate, to each their own but that's hilarious

Not a fan of Onyx? "Blacktrash" is a classic in my opinion, but not like "Get Rich Or Die Trying" though, but i can bump it from the beginning to the end without feeling like i have to skip a song. I don't know if should i call it a personal classic. Sticky always been one of my favorite MC's. You should definitely give that one a new chance.

doggfather

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2016, 02:49:49 AM »
Black trash is a great album but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece or a classic

Doggfather, u got the OG version of that?

what og version?

There's a OG version of that album that came out prior to the retail

nope. u got it?

Yes

Send it to me please.

When I get my laptop back n runnin .. It's way more tracks than the released version, I believe 29 or somethin with about half of them bein skits

ok, thank you!
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Game-Won

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2016, 06:32:03 AM »
@J Cole his albums is great, but not classics.
And J Cole is one of the dopest artists for real.

@Stickyfingaz is one more top 10 artists, love dude - But he does not have a classic album in the way Cronic, Doggystyle, illmatic, Documentary or All Eyes on me.
Dude is underated as hell tho.
Did you guys hear the european tracks they made while touring in Bulgaria, Russia and so on? Some of Onyx best work. If anyone have those tracks plz PM with link, my hard disk died..

@Royce his new album and joints with premier is dope tho, still lacks.

@Wreckx N Effect they are mad underated, crasy flows and punch lines. +That biggy diss line by A+ was hype at the time. I still Bump "Raps New Generation"

"I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work and perseverance. No excuses."
- Kobe

Blood$

« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2016, 03:04:58 PM »
Dr. Dre - Compton = masterpiece
50 Cent - Get Rich Or Die Trying = classic

I guess if that's the logic we're speaking on with these terms that would be an example of my definitions

LOL at Sticky Fingaz creating a masterpiece though  :laugh: no hate, to each their own but that's hilarious

Not a fan of Onyx? "Blacktrash" is a classic in my opinion, but not like "Get Rich Or Die Trying" though, but i can bump it from the beginning to the end without feeling like i have to skip a song. I don't know if should i call it a personal classic. Sticky always been one of my favorite MC's. You should definitely give that one a new chance.

the only true classic Onyx has is Bacdafucup for me, Last Dayz was grimy as fuck too but there was some filler on it... Black Trash is a 4/5 album for me, solid but I can't give it classic status

I can respect that "personal classic" sentiment

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2016, 08:08:59 PM »
@J Cole his albums is great, but not classics.
And J Cole is one of the dopest artists for real.

@Stickyfingaz is one more top 10 artists, love dude - But he does not have a classic album in the way Cronic, Doggystyle, illmatic, Documentary or All Eyes on me.
Dude is underated as hell tho.
Did you guys hear the european tracks they made while touring in Bulgaria, Russia and so on? Some of Onyx best work. If anyone have those tracks plz PM with link, my hard disk died..

@Royce his new album and joints with premier is dope tho, still lacks.

@Wreckx N Effect they are mad underated, crasy flows and punch lines. +That biggy diss line by A+ was hype at the time. I still Bump "Raps New Generation"

Lol@wrex in effect, I will have to check out that new generation album.  But I think hard and smooth may be the first rap album I ever listened to and that was on cassette tape and one of those little portable cassette players.  It was cool as a kid, the new jack swing era was fun back then.  But the first cd I ever got was Doggystyle and Chronic as a Christmas gift from my older brother in 93.  And I quickly realized that was the real shit and the wrex and effect stuff was not.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2016, 10:12:18 AM »
One I forgot and nobody mentioned..

Treach/naughty by nature  -  had great skills and great songs but never close to a classic album
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

hitsaw

« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2016, 10:58:31 AM »
Royce-  Had a classic unreleased album and scattered bangers but never could make a classic

are you talking about royce da 59?

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2016, 12:23:18 PM »
One I forgot and nobody mentioned..

Treach/naughty by nature  -  had great skills and great songs but never close to a classic album

Damn, that's truth!