Author Topic: Anyone else listen to or collect vinyl albums?  (Read 379 times)

PLANT

Anyone else listen to or collect vinyl albums?
« on: October 19, 2016, 06:00:42 AM »
I just got my first turntable (Pioneer PL990) and will have a nice setup going in the next couple days.  I will be using my Yamaha receiver hooked up to 2 Micca mb42x bookshelf speakers I just ordered from Amazon.

So I just ordered the following albums on vinyl

Dr. Dre - 2001
Jay-Z - Blueprint
Kanye - MBDTF
Eminem - SSLP
Kendrick - GKMC
Snoop - Doggystyle
Al Green - Greatest hits
CCR - Greatest hits
Eagles - Greatest hits
Miles Davis - Some Kind of Blue
Michael Jackson - Thriller

I figured that would be a good start to my collection.  I'm going to grab "Illmatic" and "Midnight Marauders" on my next PO

Anything else anyone would recommend for vinyl collection?  I keep reading about the "must have" albums on vinyl.  What do you guys think?

Blood$

Re: Anyone else listen to or collect vinyl albums?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 06:34:26 AM »
I just started this past year, I've already got like 200+ albums but a bunch of singles are mixed in there... can't beat the sound quality

https://www.discogs.com/user/PurpLordDoc/collection

^ my collection so far, you should register on there
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 06:36:21 AM by Blood$ »

PLANT

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 08:16:10 AM »
I just started this past year, I've already got like 200+ albums but a bunch of singles are mixed in there... can't beat the sound quality

thats a sick collection man.  LOL, I could see this being an expensive habbit.

Are most of your purchases through discogs, or do you use other sites as well?

Blood$

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 02:54:13 PM »

thats a sick collection man.  LOL, I could see this being an expensive habbit.

Are most of your purchases through discogs, or do you use other sites as well?

all record store and second hand store purchases, some were given to me for free, nothing from online at all lol I basically just keep track of what I have on Discogs

yeah it can be expensive depending on which album you really feel the need to own on wax plus which pressing it is, but a bunch of the singles I have were only a few bucks some only $1
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:58:25 PM by Blood$ »

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 03:45:57 PM »
I do

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 06:24:38 PM »
Got way too many CD'S to start vinyl now

Blood$

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 08:24:07 PM »

I feel that, I've got over 200-300+ albums on CD too so if I re-buy anything on vinyl either I have to fuck with the album that much or the price is too good to pass up

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 08:40:20 PM »

I feel that, I've got over 200-300+ albums on CD too so if I re-buy anything on vinyl either I have to fuck with the album that much or the price is too good to pass up

If I only had 200-300, I mighta started vinyl .. I do love the crisp sound

Tape bumps better than cd too .. I got a couple tapes

doggfather

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 11:08:52 PM »

+1
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

PLANT

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 04:50:21 AM »
Had my first listening session last night with the turn table set up and all I can say is WOW...the sound is fucking amazing, I had no idea it would sound THAT good.  I always heard the quality of vinyl was great and you pick up on how the record was really intended to sound.  Absolute truth.  Digital formats really do sound like shit compared to whats coming from the speakers and turn table.

The Kanye album "MTDF" and Kendrick "GKMC" specifically sounded amazing and I was really impressed.

Blood$

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 08:25:39 AM »
Had my first listening session last night with the turn table set up and all I can say is WOW...the sound is fucking amazing, I had no idea it would sound THAT good.  I always heard the quality of vinyl was great and you pick up on how the record was really intended to sound.  Absolute truth.  Digital formats really do sound like shit compared to whats coming from the speakers and turn table.

The Kanye album "MTDF" and Kendrick "GKMC" specifically sounded amazing and I was really impressed.

yeah man it's a whole different vibe in the best way

D.O.C.'s album off top is one I have where you can really hear the difference especially with the mixing

SuperSpider

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 09:55:51 AM »
I move around way too often to start building up a vinyl collection, but would love to hear what the vinyl quality sounds like

Sccit

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 10:01:58 AM »
Yup .. Music sounds too compact on discs. tapes and vinyl produce a much thicker sound .. Just like movies recorded on film are much better quality than digital movies.

DJSpin

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 04:36:30 AM »
https://www.discogs.com/user/sapicco/collection

My vinyl is most quik quick and crew along with the ruthless posse. Some other stuff mixed in too.

BIGWORM

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 02:36:55 PM »
I do as well...

Just remember if your aim is for best sound quality STAY AWAY FROM NEW "remastered" albums and try to get the originals. There is no sound benefit if it's digital  audio pressed on the dub plate. It will be just a bunch of way too loud music over compressed sounding like trash. But they still look cool for the artwork alone.