Author Topic: Kakuma Refugee Camp in Kenya  (Read 1343 times)

Ebony Zebedee

Kakuma Refugee Camp in Kenya
« on: October 19, 2016, 03:41:07 PM »

Kakuma Refugee Camp in Kenya has existed since 1992. Initially created to provide safety to South Sudanese survivors of civil war it now “warehouses” some 200,000 refugees comprised of 18 nations, all of whom fled their homelands due to war, civil unrest and persecution.
Many people of Kakuma possess professional and vocational skills which they would be able to capitalize on if they were provided resources to utilize these skills. It is necessary for us as Australians to use our privilege to invest in the welfare of refugees so they too may have access to the resources and opportunities that allow us to prosper. By investing in ones welfare we afford them dignity which promotes wellbeing and encourages one to pursue goals that can benefit themselves, their family and community.
I would like you to take a moment to reflect on your good fortune and ponder the possibilities of investing in the people of Kakuma
Kakuma Refugees are reliant on humanitarian agencies for all of life’s necessities and denied the right to provide for themselves. Due to lack of compassion from the international community and the ever growing refugee population these resources are very limited. It is vital that we invest in these agencies and also act on the refugee crisis as individuals.
KANERE – KAKUMA NEWS REFLECTOR reports the issues Kakuma Refugees face are directly related to lack of funding. In terms of food, shelter, medicine and education budgets have been stretched to the point that the World Food Program has had to cut the daily recommended emergency ration of 2100 kilocalories by half. Materials for shelter are scarce leading to unsafe building methods which have resulted in fatalities. Outbreaks of malaria, cholera and pneumonia are common with limited medicines and facilities available to effectively treat. Classrooms are overcrowded, at times 100 children per class, and lack of materials make learning difficult. But there is a desire to learn. There is an ingenuity displayed with the erection of every new residence. People wish access to better healthcare and welcome investment in their welfare in the hope that they may one day again become self sufficient.
Ground Roots Efforts That Could Effectively Help
•   Contacting the UNHCR and enquiring as to how to sponsor an individual or family or donating to ensure continued assistance
•   Donating to the World Food Program wfp.org to contribute to their nutritional welfare
•   Investing in refugee initiatives such as @generosity.com – Independent Refugee Run Media
•   Educating yourself through KANERE online publications kanere.org and following their updates on twitter @KanereNews
•   Petition your local MP and Malcolm Turnbull’s office to provide asylum and establish an Australian Embassy in Kakuma Refugee Camp
•   MOST IMPORATANTLY SPREAD THE WORD TO HELP GIVE THE PEOPLE OF KAKUMA A VOICE

This petition is aimed at Australians but if you feel moved to act please follow through on some of the prompts in your local area.

Ebony Zebedee

Re: Kakuma Refugee Camp in Kenya
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 02:23:22 AM »
Another one of Sccif's faggot aliases.

A faggot is a bundle of sticks tied together with twine.
I have no aliases. Just puns on my birth name.
Im easily found.
If theres a lock it can be picked.
Infact.
You can break into a persons home, terrorise them, extort them and they can wake in the morning with no recollection whatsoever.
This obsession with defaming sccit seems to me quite objectionable although i have personally participated in ridiculing him i tried it in good humour, seeking not to hinder him but rather partake in the ridiculousness of callous intent.

Ebony Zebedee

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 08:27:27 PM »

Ebony Zebedee

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 09:06:53 PM »
I wish I could send containers (like the kind of containers you find in shipping yards) full of tuna to Kakuma Refugee Camp.
I know they eat dried fish when it's available and they can afford it. And fresh foods although their staple diet consist mostly of dried beans, legumes and maize. I wish I could afford them all the produce we take for granted. Just container upon container upon container. Even dried fruits for the kids or something. And burnable brickettes that you put in BBQs so they didnt have to search for firewood which is scarce.