Author Topic: C-Bo - I'm A Killa MUSIC VID  (Read 367 times)

WestWestYA

C-Bo - I'm A Killa MUSIC VID
« on: October 28, 2016, 05:19:36 AM »
C-bo Da Bald Head Nut!  8)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dtvMFF6kNio" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dtvMFF6kNio</a>

SuperSpider

Re: C-Bo - I'm A Killa MUSIC VID
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 08:11:09 AM »
20 years in the game and still couldn't come up with a new concept topic for a track, smh. I really don't get that, how do some rappers spend a million years rapping, release a ton of material and never evolve past the same topic ?

bouli77

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 08:57:23 AM »
20 years in the game and still couldn't come up with a new concept topic for a track, smh. I really don't get that, how do some rappers spend a million years rapping, release a ton of material and never evolve past the same topic ?

that's an interesting observation and i've wondered this for a moment too. I have mixed feelings about it. C-Bo is a legendary rapper, but I think he hasn't evolved cause he doesn't want too and it's not in his interest. I don't think he's passionate about the art, so he probably doesn't really feel the need to try out new things, experiment and evolve, or compete with other rappers on that field. I think he's first and foremost a hood rapper rapping about what he knows and what he likes. So he's not gonna switch topics and focus on something else.  Also, he's not gonna change for the sake of changing and try to imitate what's hot now, he has done this on occasion throughout his career (songs like Picture Me Ballin and Tycoon on Enemies of the State with a more R'N'B / crossover appeal (songs that i liked a lot btw)). Another possible reason is that you've got a growing market for nostalgic listeners who are tired of the mainstream mediocrity, there's a niche for 90's rappers and westcoast 90's rappers overseas (with buyers in germany, france, japan, australia, etc.) and in the states too (with radios like Kday). Some people want that stereotypical west coast gangsta shit and that's what he's giving them, even if it sounds forced and anachronic . And that's why you've got groups like Diirty OGz forming and having a following. And in C-Bo's case you must admit that even though it's redundant, it's well executed and the beat is dope.

Don't get me wrong I've had my gripes with veteran rappers with very limited subject matter, a tendency for self parody and caricature and no growth or evolution. But I think C-Bo is not really one of them, sometimes it's just boring, bland or flat because unoriginal but I think compared to decaying rappers like say Daz, he's still fairly entertaining and authentic and well produced. His music just don't have the same feel, energy and relevance as it used to. but that's okay. most rappers have a very limited longevity. I think we can appreciate the fact that C-Bo's still around in 2016.

generally speaking (not focusing on C-Bo), my main problem with vet rappers still rapping about the same thing today is the content and sometimes the stereotypical, caricatural beats. they fall in the same trap. most of the times you hear these rappers speaking about committing crimes, robbing, stealing, pimping, palm trees, low riders and the lack of originality is painful to listen to, when they could have come up with some nice story telling about topics about something that's actually happening in their lives : the evolution of the industry, getting old, seeing new rappers come up and pay (or not) homage, their relationship with their fanbase, etc. all that while keeping their original signature sound preserved but instead you get the same unbelievable stories cause they think that's what their core fanbase want. and sometimes it's dope because the rapper's got great charisma or because it's done in a very creative way.

Blood$

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 09:06:44 AM »

that's an interesting observation and i've wondered this for a moment too. I have mixed feelings about it. C-Bo is a legendary rapper, but I think he hasn't evolved cause he doesn't want too and it's not in his interest. I don't think he's passionate about the art, so he probably doesn't really feel the need to try out new things, experiment and evolve, or compete with other rappers on that field. I think he's first and foremost a hood rapper rapping about what he knows and what he likes. So he's not gonna switch topics and focus on something else.  Also, he's not gonna change for the sake of changing and try to imitate what's hot now, he has done this on occasion throughout his career (songs like Picture Me Ballin and Tycoon on Enemies of the State with a more R'N'B / crossover appeal (songs that i liked a lot btw)). Another possible reason is that you've got a growing market for nostalgic listeners who are tired of the mainstream mediocrity, there's a niche for 90's rappers and westcoast 90's rappers overseas (with buyers in germany, france, japan, australia, etc.) and in the states too (with radios like Kday). Some people want that stereotypical west coast gangsta shit and that's what he's giving them, even if it sounds forced and anachronic . And that's why you've got groups like Diirty OGz forming and having a following. And in C-Bo's case you must admit that even though it's redundant, it's well executed and the beat is dope.

Don't get me wrong I've had my gripes with veteran rappers with very limited subject matter, a tendency for self parody and caricature and no growth or evolution. But I think C-Bo is not really one of them, sometimes it's just boring, bland or flat because unoriginal but I think compared to decaying rappers like say Daz, he's still fairly entertaining and authentic and well produced. His music just don't have the same feel, energy and relevance as it used to. but that's okay. most rappers have a very limited longevity. I think we can appreciate the fact that C-Bo's still around in 2016.

generally speaking (not focusing on C-Bo), my main problem with vet rappers still rapping about the same thing today is the content and sometimes the stereotypical, caricatural beats. they fall in the same trap. most of the times you hear these rappers speaking about committing crimes, robbing, stealing, pimping, palm trees, low riders and the lack of originality is painful to listen to, when they could have come up with some nice story telling about topics about something that's actually happening in their lives : the evolution of the industry, getting old, seeing new rappers come up and pay (or not) homage, their relationship with their fanbase, etc. all that while keeping their original signature sound preserved but instead you get the same unbelievable stories cause they think that's what their core fanbase want. and sometimes it's dope because the rapper's got great charisma or because it's done in a very creative way.

you speak gospel on here, don't ever stop  8)

SuperSpider

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 09:37:36 AM »

Couldn't have said it better!

Also, on the topic of rappers rapping about getting old and the negatives that come with it, I think this one is a pretty good example. Afroman is a legend to me

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 01:05:48 PM »
What should CBO rap about? Snapbacks and dabbin?? Or maybe he should become a conscious rapper and collab with Paris??

The phrase "never change" was invented for him