Author Topic: Brooklyn's Ka Red Bull Music Academy Lecture (Talks Growing Up In Brownsville, G  (Read 99 times)

OmegaRed

Brooklyn's Ka Red Bull Music Academy Lecture (Talks Growing Up In Brownsville, GZA, Being A Firefighter + More)

Ka witnessed the genesis of hip-hop growing up in Brownsville, Brooklyn. He learned how to become a rapper first with Natural Elements and later as half of Nightbreed. But it wasn't until his first album, Iron Works, made its way to GZA that things began to change after the Wu-Tang MC had him guest on his 2008 track “Firehouse.” By the time Ka’s next LP, Grief Pedigree, dropped in 2012, he’d honed his stark, minimal style to perfection and has been acclaimed for it since. In control of everything – rhymes, beats, videos, distribution – Ka is a single-minded force in rap. Sitting with Jeff Mao at the 2016 Red Bull Music Academy, Ka talks about growing up in Brownsville, the escapism of art, the reality of life as a man, and the patience needed to find and accept your own voice.

TOPICS:
07:16 - Growing up in Brownsville in the '70s
29:09 - GZA calls
44:05 - "I'm asking a lot of my listeners ... sit down, cut your lights off and listen."
51:11 - "In blues you ain't official until you're 50! I shouldn't let my age scare me to do something I love doing."
56:16 - Being a firefighter
We need your help.....

Looking for latest content ----->
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCAkQem5MWo3cuhdIOPQEaeQ/videos
 www.insomiacmagazine.com