Author Topic: Dom Kennedy - "Los Angeles Is Not For Sale Vol. 1" COMING December 23!  (Read 1276 times)

Mietek23

15 TRACKS NO COMMERCIAL INTERRUPTIONS!!!!!!!

New track -> https://soundcloud.com/theoriginaldomkennedy/dominic-part-2

8) 8) 8)

Dogg Ly Dogg

Re: Dom Kennedy - "Los Angeles Is Not For Sale Vol. 1" COMING December 23!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 10:50:17 PM »
Can't wait  8) The year really ends nicely with all these dope ass releases

WestWestYA

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 04:27:12 AM »
Hope dom brings his "A" game to this project because this will be his last chance at redemption.

FUCK-YOU-BItch

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 05:08:33 AM »
Lately he's kickin nonsense...let's see how it turns.

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 07:06:03 AM »
Hope dom brings his "A" game to this project because this will be his last chance at redemption.

Yeah, I was completely on board until his last one.

I bought the physical CD of Get Home Safely from Best Buy sight unseen.  They only had one copy in stock, and I had to ask the store clerk if they had it because it wasn't on the shelf.  So he went to the back and brought out the only copy they had.  That album was good but not as good as Yellow Album, which wasn't as good overall as Westside with Love II.

Anyway, jump ahead to By Dom Kennedy, and I was stunned at how low budget it sounded.  It was cohesive, but there were no real standout songs, maybe 2 Bad, but everything else sounded like he made the album in 1 week with a pocket change budget.  To add insult to injury, Dom said he was going to release hard copies on his site, so I held out on buying the digital so that I could get the physical.  I kept waiting and waiting, but it never released, so I eventually threw in the towel and got it for free off the Internet.

I mean, look, I want to support the artists I like, but you can't jerk your fans around like that, especially when you're independent and don't have a broad enough fanbase to have some fall by the wayside like that.  Plus, it was around that time that I noticed his albums were/are getting steadily worse as time goes on.

I haven't even been all that impressed with the lead singles to this new album.  I'm basically worried about Dom.  I think he's getting lazy, and we're seeing the effect of not signing to a major label.  He's not progressing artistically, and I think signing to Interscope would have helped his development as an artist.

I'm still holding out hope that "Los Angeles is not for Sale" will surprise me, but I won't be surprised if it's a disappointment, to be honest.  And that's coming from a big time Dom fan, because his early work still gets regular rotation from me.

Fingers crossed, though.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

Okka

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 07:22:48 AM »
Never really listened to Dom Kennedy, but i've been thinkin' about checkin' out his albums. Why didn't he sign to Interscope?

Chef_YRD

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 09:20:48 PM »
It's out now...I previewed it...you guys will be disappointed...I felt a couple beats tho
"Colder than dolemite 3 o'clock on a North Pole night In a suit made outta hoe hair woven tight rolling Pluto rocks turned to dice"

"I'm like a dream forgotten by van gough you allergic to handsoap,plus you dome dudes by the van load,wouldn't give you a jacket at lambeau"

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 10:57:00 PM »
Musically it's still the same kind of music Dom used to offer but yeah his flow is lazier than ever on this one.

Young Old Head

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 03:42:35 AM »

Yeah, I was completely on board until his last one.

I bought the physical CD of Get Home Safely from Best Buy sight unseen.  They only had one copy in stock, and I had to ask the store clerk if they had it because it wasn't on the shelf.  So he went to the back and brought out the only copy they had.  That album was good but not as good as Yellow Album, which wasn't as good overall as Westside with Love II.

Anyway, jump ahead to By Dom Kennedy, and I was stunned at how low budget it sounded.  It was cohesive, but there were no real standout songs, maybe 2 Bad, but everything else sounded like he made the album in 1 week with a pocket change budget.  To add insult to injury, Dom said he was going to release hard copies on his site, so I held out on buying the digital so that I could get the physical.  I kept waiting and waiting, but it never released, so I eventually threw in the towel and got it for free off the Internet.

I mean, look, I want to support the artists I like, but you can't jerk your fans around like that, especially when you're independent and don't have a broad enough fanbase to have some fall by the wayside like that.  Plus, it was around that time that I noticed his albums were/are getting steadily worse as time goes on.

it took a while but he eventually released hard copies: https://www.discogs.com/Dom-Kennedy-By-Dom-Kennedy/release/8696001

I haven't even been all that impressed with the lead singles to this new album.  I'm basically worried about Dom.  I think he's getting lazy, and we're seeing the effect of not signing to a major label.  He's not progressing artistically, and I think signing to Interscope would have helped his development as an artist.

I'm still holding out hope that "Los Angeles is not for Sale" will surprise me, but I won't be surprised if it's a disappointment, to be honest.  And that's coming from a big time Dom fan, because his early work still gets regular rotation from me.

Fingers crossed, though.

...or they would've shelved his major debut and hurt his career by not releasing him.

Musically it's still the same kind of music Dom used to offer but yeah his flow is lazier than ever on this one.

not lazier than on this wack ass best after bobby 2 mixtape. that was by far his worst release ever.

Cash Money Blood Gang

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 10:50:17 AM »
Why didn't he sign to Interscope?

As far as I'm aware, for the usual reasons that artists these days prefer to stay independent -- money.  They were probably offering him a 360 deal and he said nah.

I mean, I get it as a business decision, but artistically it's hurting him, imo.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 10:56:57 AM »

it took a while but he eventually released hard copies: https://www.discogs.com/Dom-Kennedy-By-Dom-Kennedy/release/8696001

Thanks, man, but it's too late now.  According to that link, the CD came out just this year -- that's waaaay too long of a delay.  You can't expect your fans to hold out for years with no info on when it's dropping.

...or they would've shelved his major debut and hurt his career by not releasing him.

That's always a possibility, but I'm not quite buying that argument.  When Interscope tried to sign him back in 2013, he already had a solid underground fanbase by that point.  For example, I've been a Dom fan since 2011, and I live in New Jersey, which goes to show that Dom had serious nationwide appeal potential.  He didn't need intensive A&R like a true no-name artist would.  He just needed major label production backing and accomplished session players and a full-fledged marketing push to elevate out of the underground, imo.  But there's no way to prove this until Dom actually does sign with a major, which it doesn't look as if he has any interest in doing.  I'm sure it's more financially beneficial to him to turn down a 360 deal and be the boss of his own OPM label, but imo it's proving not to be artistically beneficial as his work from the past few years is demonstrating.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 11:03:29 AM by Detox Is A Myth!!! »

Chef_YRD

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 11:36:21 AM »
Johnny Bench,California,the 76 my favorites so far
"Colder than dolemite 3 o'clock on a North Pole night In a suit made outta hoe hair woven tight rolling Pluto rocks turned to dice"

"I'm like a dream forgotten by van gough you allergic to handsoap,plus you dome dudes by the van load,wouldn't give you a jacket at lambeau"

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 05:24:05 PM »
Only had time to listen to the samples on iTunes so far and my initial impression is that it sounds like a continuation of the By Dom Kennedy style except better.  More of a pure L.A. summer feel than Get Home Safely and By Dom Kennedy.  He does continue to slur his words on some songs as if he's about to fall asleep and some songs have almost no attention paid to a suitable hook, but then you listen to "California" and you realize THIS is the Dom that I wished showed up on every tracc.  Some nice G-funk, Dom actually making an effort to enunciate his words and flow to the beat and try to make a full fledged song instead of something that could pass for a rough demo.  I also give credit to Dom lately for consistently trying to make full albums without loading them up with guest features.  He definitely keeps himself the star of the show.

Will this make a dent in the game?  Nope.  It's more of the same.  For fans only, probably won't win over any converts.

WestWestYA

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 06:06:32 PM »
Terrible album from Dom, don't know what has happened to him. I Also enjoy By Dom Kennedy but i must be the only one, mainly because i have good memories connected to that album because it was my first Dom album i heard. It feels like his going through the classic Snoop phase DOGGYSTYLE to doggfather. Tired and bored.

2Relevant

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 07:11:46 PM »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz as expected rip Dom Kennedy