Author Topic: What happens to Deathrow catalogue  (Read 3995 times)

Sccit

Re: What happens to Deathrow catalogue
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 11:05:01 AM »
If anyone has the contact number for e one entertainment.  I can find out what's going on with the catalogue.

Save yourself the time, they're not going to do anything with the unreleased catalog. The released catalog generates $1 million + in annual royalties. The only thing they will do is license the popular songs.

Perhaps they can sell only the material they aren't using to someone who will do something with it .. No reason to sit on it if there's even minimal interest

love33

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 03:08:18 PM »
Who is E1? Is that the Canadian company that pissed Daz off -- Tyga had the rights to Death Row to wear a hat in that video where he repped and pretended like he was a Row artist

Do you need the rights if you wanna wear a Death Row hat or a shirt in a music video?

no

I'm not sure about that -- a judge is going to decide if Beyonce wearing the Roc-A-Fella logo and reppin it in a video is going to cost her royalties to Roc-A-Fella -- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4050002/Beyonce-sued-using-Roc-Fella-logo-music-video-just-months-similar-suit-against-Jay-Z-dismissed.html

If that's the case, then Tyga had to get permission or he could get sued -- if the judge rules in Beyonce's favor, then anyone can wear any logo in a video -- I have a hard time believing that Beyonce would lose this case as it would mean going forward if anyone wore a Major League Baseball cap they could be sued for royalties by the teams -- it would be crazy to rule against Beyonce and set a nasty precedent

Also, the catalog, they should release all the songs as singles on Amazon and allow fans to purchase them for $1 each (that way I can finally buy a CDQ version of Tha Realest "The Last Circle" track, Snoop "Tha Next Episode OG", and Kurupt "I Just Don't Bang No More"

They could put the alt versions of songs on there also (Death Row recorded about 5+ versions for most tracks) -- Also Eastwood did some stuff with E-40 I wouldn't mind hearing

We should start a DUBCNN GoFundMe page and pony up the money to buy the catalog, then put all the songs on DUBCNN for sale, and anyone who chipped in gets a small percentage per sale!

dj coma

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 08:55:17 PM »
If anyone has the contact number for e one entertainment.  I can find out what's going on with the catalogue.

Save yourself the time, they're not going to do anything with the unreleased catalog. The released catalog generates $1 million + in annual royalties. The only thing they will do is license the popular songs.

Perhaps they can sell only the material they aren't using to someone who will do something with it .. No reason to sit on it if there's even minimal interest

That would be sweet but they would probably spend more money getting the stuff out there than it would bring in. WideAwake is proof of that. They really should approach the original artists and see if they want to buy back their own material. I think the original artists putting it out themselves is the most logical/feasible way to make it work since you don't have to get clearance from the original artist. The company didn't have paperwork for a lot of material so there were mad legal hurdles.

Sccit

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 11:45:34 PM »
Who is E1? Is that the Canadian company that pissed Daz off -- Tyga had the rights to Death Row to wear a hat in that video where he repped and pretended like he was a Row artist

Do you need the rights if you wanna wear a Death Row hat or a shirt in a music video?

no

I'm not sure about that -- a judge is going to decide if Beyonce wearing the Roc-A-Fella logo and reppin it in a video is going to cost her royalties to Roc-A-Fella -- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4050002/Beyonce-sued-using-Roc-Fella-logo-music-video-just-months-similar-suit-against-Jay-Z-dismissed.html

If that's the case, then Tyga had to get permission or he could get sued -- if the judge rules in Beyonce's favor, then anyone can wear any logo in a video -- I have a hard time believing that Beyonce would lose this case as it would mean going forward if anyone wore a Major League Baseball cap they could be sued for royalties by the teams -- it would be crazy to rule against Beyonce and set a nasty precedent

Also, the catalog, they should release all the songs as singles on Amazon and allow fans to purchase them for $1 each (that way I can finally buy a CDQ version of Tha Realest "The Last Circle" track, Snoop "Tha Next Episode OG", and Kurupt "I Just Don't Bang No More"

They could put the alt versions of songs on there also (Death Row recorded about 5+ versions for most tracks) -- Also Eastwood did some stuff with E-40 I wouldn't mind hearing

We should start a DUBCNN GoFundMe page and pony up the money to buy the catalog, then put all the songs on DUBCNN for sale, and anyone who chipped in gets a small percentage per sale!

Yup Beyoncé won that suit, ain't nobody winnin some bs like that

Tharow4life

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 01:51:07 AM »

That would be sweet but they would probably spend more money getting the stuff out there than it would bring in. WideAwake is proof of that. They really should approach the original artists and see if they want to buy back their own material. I think the original artists putting it out themselves is the most logical/feasible way to make it work since you don't have to get clearance from the original artist. The company didn't have paperwork for a lot of material so there were mad legal hurdles.
I know one former deathrow artist who tried to acquire his deathrow material from E1. but they didn't give him his music.

2Relevant

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 06:27:06 AM »
money talks at the end of the day and the Death row catalogue is unprofitable unless it was songs that where released and were real hits numbers wise

who is the target audience 40 year olds lol?

lets be real no one is going to buy any of this stuff today in age even if your name is 2pac newer artist already having trouble selling records as it is what does these 30 year songs bring to the table from a bunch of artist no one even probably heard of or weren't even born yet when these guys were out absolutely nothing this forum is probably the biggest fan base Death row has and 20 people isn't gonna change E1 mind there is absolutely zero demand for these songs wide awake was proof

love33

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 06:53:46 PM »
money talks at the end of the day and the Death row catalogue is unprofitable unless it was songs that where released and were real hits numbers wise

lets be real no one is going to buy any of this stuff today in age even if your name is 2pac newer artist already having trouble selling records as it is what does these 30 year songs bring to the table from a bunch of artist no one even probably heard of or weren't even born yet when these guys were out absolutely nothing this forum is probably the biggest fan base Death row has and 20 people isn't gonna change E1 mind there is absolutely zero demand for these songs wide awake was proof

It's because today's artists are mostly terrible compared to Tha Row artists -- they can't sell like Tha Row and NEVER will -- If 2Pac was alive, he could drop a multi-platinum album tomorrow with Suge Executive Producing and all these newer artists would sit and watch in complete shock and awe -- there's barely ANY quality artists anymore -- Electric Techno music has washed out Hip Hop beats and the original Hip Hop beats -- Lil Wayne, Migos and Drake are the top artists and honorable mention to Kendrick Lamar and The Game -- other than that, I don't see much out there in terms of anyone selling anything -- In the 90's you had platinum artist after platinum artist from Compton's Most Wanted to Too Short to DJ Quik to Coolio to Bone Thugs N Harmony -- shit, even The Dove Shack went GOLD

I would buy Tha Realest DR material if they upped it -- OFTB, LBC Crew, Tha Gang, Hammer, Daz, Kurupt, tons of 2Pac material -- there's a lot interesting material -- and Suge had ALL the royalties to his music, so they can just release the music and get an accountant to compensate the artists if they choose (they don't even need to compensate many of them cause Suge outwright owned 100% so when they sold it, the new owners outright OWN the tracks -- 2Pac is the ONLY artist who's mother sued and Amaru gets part of the royalties, but that deal is OVER cause she passed away and didn't secure rights for Amaru to move forward -- Dre is the ONLY artist who has a court deal in place to where his stuff can ONLY be released in its original form ("The Chronic" album can't be switched up with different tracks like they did on the re-release which they had to pull)

Sccit

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 07:07:13 PM »

It's because today's artists are mostly terrible compared to Tha Row artists -- they can't sell like Tha Row and NEVER will -- If 2Pac was alive, he could drop a multi-platinum album tomorrow with Suge Executive Producing and all these newer artists would sit and watch in complete shock and awe -- there's barely ANY quality artists anymore -- Electric Techno music has washed out Hip Hop beats and the original Hip Hop beats -- Lil Wayne, Migos and Drake are the top artists and honorable mention to Kendrick Lamar and The Game -- other than that, I don't see much out there in terms of anyone selling anything -- In the 90's you had platinum artist after platinum artist from Compton's Most Wanted to Too Short to DJ Quik to Coolio to Bone Thugs N Harmony -- shit, even The Dove Shack went GOLD

I would buy Tha Realest DR material if they upped it -- OFTB, LBC Crew, Tha Gang, Hammer, Daz, Kurupt, tons of 2Pac material -- there's a lot interesting material -- and Suge had ALL the royalties to his music, so they can just release the music and get an accountant to compensate the artists if they choose (they don't even need to compensate many of them cause Suge outwright owned 100% so when they sold it, the new owners outright OWN the tracks -- 2Pac is the ONLY artist who's mother sued and Amaru gets part of the royalties, but that deal is OVER cause she passed away and didn't secure rights for Amaru to move forward -- Dre is the ONLY artist who has a court deal in place to where his stuff can ONLY be released in its original form ("The Chronic" album can't be switched up with different tracks like they did on the re-release which they had to pull)

theres a lotta weirdo artists that we don't know about, but all the kids love, like kodak black, lil yachti, 21 savage and alla them

SuperSpider

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 07:34:20 PM »
If 2Pac was alive, he could drop a multi-platinum album tomorrow with Suge Executive Producing and all these newer artists would sit and watch in complete shock and awe --

Peeps need to stop living in 1994 tbh. If 2Pac was alive today he probably wouldn't sell shit either. There's plenty of legends who are still alive and releasing music nowadays and it all goes copper. The market's changed with the years, the artists themselves change with the years, hip-hop has changed too (going forwards or backwards is discussable).

If people want to play pretend that this and that artist who was alive in the 90s will DEFINITELY be writing similar lyrics, discussing similar topics or even have the same mindset 20 years later, then so be it. To me, that's just delusional.

love33

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 10:19:32 PM »
If 2Pac was alive, he could drop a multi-platinum album tomorrow with Suge Executive Producing and all these newer artists would sit and watch in complete shock and awe --

Peeps need to stop living in 1994 tbh. If 2Pac was alive today he probably wouldn't sell shit either. There's plenty of legends who are still alive and releasing music nowadays and it all goes copper. The market's changed with the years, the artists themselves change with the years, hip-hop has changed too (going forwards or backwards is discussable).

If people want to play pretend that this and that artist who was alive in the 90s will DEFINITELY be writing similar lyrics, discussing similar topics or even have the same mindset 20 years later, then so be it. To me, that's just delusional.

I disagree - A Great Artists in ANY Era can Make It Happen! 2Pac and Suge didn't FOLLOW the Industry, the Industry FOLLOWED Them -- It's like NBA or Politics -- you could put Wilt Chamberlain, or Jordan, or Shaq in ANY Era, and he's going to make it happen -- look at Politics, they laughed at Trump (his own party even) said "You can't run a campaign like that" and tomorrow he's going to be President -- It's the same exact concept -- If Suge and Pac put "One Nation 2017" out (new tracks) tomorrow, whatever they do would sell and they would reshape the industry -- they would feature E-40, The Game, and some of the disappearing acts like Xzibit and DJ Quik -- They would CHANGE the whole game of Hip Hop -- People would copy their beats, their style, like when The South was copying The West in the 90s before they developed Crunk and their own distinct sound -- When I think of albums that Changed Hip-Hop I think of Straight Outta Compton, Chronic, Regulate (G Funk Era), Cocktales, All Eyez On Me, MP Da Last Don, Pain Is Love, Get Rich or Die Tryin, Stillmatic, The Black Album, etc. -- I mean these albums literally changed the direction of Gangsta Rap/Hip-Hop genre -- and it's ripe of that RIGHT NOW since nobody's really got their imprint on it (Wayne had it 8 years ago, Drake had it 4 years ago, but it's RIPE right now for the taking! Someone comes in with a distinct sound and something raw and fresh, they can Take The Game!)

Okka

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 10:26:26 PM »
I'm not sure if you're just trolling right now.

SuperSpider

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2017, 03:35:46 AM »
If Suge and Pac put "One Nation 2017" out (new tracks) tomorrow, whatever they do would sell and they would reshape the industry

Absolutely no chance. People were waiting on Detox for years, why did Compton only go Gold? Why did it not reshape the game? How come Death Row leftover projects take ages to crowdfund on not one, but two pretty much Death Row dedicated websites?

-- they would feature E-40, The Game, and some of the disappearing acts like Xzibit and DJ Quik. They would CHANGE the whole game of Hip Hop. When I think of albums that Changed Hip-Hop I think of Straight Outta Compton, Chronic, Regulate (G Funk Era), Cocktales, All Eyez On Me, MP Da Last Don, Pain Is Love, Get Rich or Die Tryin, Stillmatic, The Black Album, etc. -- I mean these albums literally changed the direction of Gangsta Rap/Hip-Hop genre

A lot of the artists who came up with the albums you mentioned are still active in some way, how come they haven't changed the game recently? What numbers did the last Wu Tang album do a couple of years ago? Onyx? Why is Chris Rivers (Big Pun's son) not blowing up when he is deadly on the microphone?!? I can go on and on

People have got to stop with the ''If 2Pac, BIG, Big L etc'' were alive today Kodak Black and them (all wack btw, but that's beyond the point) would ALL be working at McDonalds''
Sure thing, their legacy is great and they made a huge contribution to hip-hop, but none of that is happening nowadays.

Sccit

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 10:12:21 AM »
If Suge and Pac put "One Nation 2017" out (new tracks) tomorrow, whatever they do would sell and they would reshape the industry

Absolutely no chance. People were waiting on Detox for years, why did Compton only go Gold? Why did it not reshape the game? How come Death Row leftover projects take ages to crowdfund on not one, but two pretty much Death Row dedicated websites?

-- they would feature E-40, The Game, and some of the disappearing acts like Xzibit and DJ Quik. They would CHANGE the whole game of Hip Hop. When I think of albums that Changed Hip-Hop I think of Straight Outta Compton, Chronic, Regulate (G Funk Era), Cocktales, All Eyez On Me, MP Da Last Don, Pain Is Love, Get Rich or Die Tryin, Stillmatic, The Black Album, etc. -- I mean these albums literally changed the direction of Gangsta Rap/Hip-Hop genre

A lot of the artists who came up with the albums you mentioned are still active in some way, how come they haven't changed the game recently? What numbers did the last Wu Tang album do a couple of years ago? Onyx? Why is Chris Rivers (Big Pun's son) not blowing up when he is deadly on the microphone?!? I can go on and on

People have got to stop with the ''If 2Pac, BIG, Big L etc'' were alive today Kodak Black and them (all wack btw, but that's beyond the point) would ALL be working at McDonalds''
Sure thing, their legacy is great and they made a huge contribution to hip-hop, but none of that is happening nowadays.

Compton only went gold because it wasn't promoted .. Not even 1 video/single released for that project. A shame, actually.

Okka

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 10:28:23 AM »

Compton only went gold because it wasn't promoted .. Not even 1 video/single released for that project. A shame, actually.

Does anybody know if Dre even performed any of the songs live?

Sccit

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2017, 11:38:04 AM »

Does anybody know if Dre even performed any of the songs live?

Nope