Author Topic: Dr. Dre on "Tha Doggfather" LP  (Read 2041 times)

WestWestYA

Re: Dr. Dre on "Tha Doggfather" LP
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 05:47:58 PM »
to be fair, any album from Snoop that had Dre's involvement shits all over Doggfather lol not a bad album but it was kinda frustratingly average especially with the team involved... the saving grace was the DPG features

Top dogg, last meal, or BCT don't really shit on doggfather

No Limit Top Dogg > Tha Last Meal > Tha Doggfather > Tha Blue Carpet Treatment

DeeezNuuuts83

Re: Dr. Dre on "Tha Doggfather" LP
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 07:27:43 PM »
Nothing new or surprising. The sales showed that it was a good sophomore effort but clearly behind Doggystyle.

I remember when the album came out, people called into Power 106 and a lot of people were saying that they liked it but it was clearly inferior. So it's not like everyone was mesmerized at it when it came out and was fresh and new.

Exactly man..thank you.  I mean these are real accounts from people who remember those dark days after Pac died, after Dre had left and put out the lukewarm Atermath project, and Suge got busted--and everyone was sure Snoop would deliver in the clutch and save the day.  He was suppossed to be the Michael Jordan of hip-hop but he couldn't deliver the championship--he was more like Jordan on the Wizards.

I remember the day it dropped I still didn't have my drivers liscence and I paid an older friend to leave on that Tuesday during lunch and buy it for me.  I listened to it beggining to end that night and your thinking.. alright this is okay.... this is okay.... but your waiting for that next level shit, that classic shit--I kept thinking it it was coming till finally it got to the end--and I was like what the fucc?

I remember when "Snoops Upside your Head" came out everyone's reaction was just "It's Alright".

In fact the only ones who really weren't dissapointed were mainstream and newer fans who'd come along in Pacs era at Death Row and didn't experience the Chronic/Doggystyle at jump.
I don't think anyone really thought Snoop was going to take over the reins.  I know I didn't.  But of course the media was talking about it, just because of the fact that he was the last of the Death Row Mount Rushmore still there.

Back in those days, I'd hit up whichever of my friends had the album first and asked what songs they liked.  And I remember my friend only listing off a few (though he first brought up Blueberry), and when I listened to it, I skipped so many songs.  I can't say the same about Doggystyle, or basically any other Death Row album recorded under Suge's watch.

But Snoop's Upside Ya Head was cool when it came out.  Definitely no Gin & Juice or Who Am I, but definitely something people were into.  But the hype died down.  A big issue I had though (aside from the shortcomings of the album itself) was with the poor choice of singles.  I never liked Vapors, and Doggfather was cool but I rarely saw the video on MTV/BET.  And they screwed up by not putting Midnight Love on the album, or at least making it as available as they should have, since it was only a B-side.