Author Topic: Howcome Ya Boy fell off so bad?  (Read 868 times)

love33

Howcome Ya Boy fell off so bad?
« on: February 07, 2017, 01:12:06 AM »
Ya Boy was allover MTV and ESPN -- they even featured him on the Sports Talk Shows as a Guest and was allover with "We Run LA" and then he dropped out of sight out of mind
He has a sick delivery and he rapped about designer clothing and wore those shiny stud earrings with those shades and had that faux hawk -- he had so much swag and then he just fell off
He had some really tight shit like "Arizona Hot" and a bunch of other stuff -- then he changed his whole gimmick and had some new name and it was like he just fell off the face of the earth
I don't know if it was the name change, or he didn't follow up with big shot artists or secure the right deal -- I can't really put a finger on what happened here -- but he really rose up fast and fell harder and it happened within a matter of months

SuperSpider

Re: Howcome Ya Boy fell off so bad?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 03:10:08 AM »
Signing with Konvict Music at the time seemed like a good deal to me, Akon was poppin' and all.

It's the fact that he changed his style completely and it was all for the worse. None of his new songs are lyrical or innovative, just recycled rhymes over generic beats, he just got really lazy. He had plenty of bars whenever he came up and that's what attracted listeners to his music (or me at least). Once he stopped putting any quality content in there it was a wrap. The new name was a terrible choice as well, but it's not what put the brakes on his career

2Relevant

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 06:15:44 AM »
has and will always be trash the name says it all

Blood$

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 08:51:36 AM »
the constant name/image changes and him starting to jump on every new trend that was hot ruined him for me, I think it was that Mohawks & Heavy Metal project where it all started going downhill for him

from 2006-2008 he was one of my favorite up and coming artists from the West and you couldn't tell me at that time everything he was dropping wasn't quality

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 10:31:13 AM »
has and will always be trash the name says it all

When he came out with San Quinn, Fully Loaded and all on Done Deal Ent. he was really promising!
His debut album "Rookie Of The Year" is one of the most overlooked album ever! I love this record and it was on my Top 5 best albums in 2005 but I was really into the Bay back then though

S.J

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 11:00:12 AM »
I bought Rookie of The Year on CD when it first came out but it must be at least 7 years since I last listened to it, i might have to listen to it again.

Ya Boy seemed to just release mixtapes after that album so I lost interest after listening to a couple of them.
But I'm a do it like this so your crew will know
Tie your leg to a car, tie the other to a pole
Talk shit and laugh cause I got the gift of gab
Hop in the car, hit the gas, watch your ass split in half
-Rappin Ron

Blood$

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 11:03:00 AM »
I had a hard copy of Rookie Of The Year but regretfully sold it years back when I was pretty broke  :-X

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 11:11:22 AM »
That we run LA joint was everywhere when it dropped, but wasn't it just a mixtape remix?

SuperSpider

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 11:11:48 AM »
He seems to have released plenty of material over the last couple of years, but I haven't listened to any full project he has put out past 2011. I've heard the odd Rich Rocka track on youtube every now and then and they were all terrible, so I'm guessing any of the full length projects after Fillmore Renaissance Story were sub-par as well.

SuperSpider

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 11:16:15 AM »
That we run LA joint was everywhere when it dropped, but wasn't it just a mixtape remix?

That Rain Man joint was pretty dope too. Not the Wayne track though, the one September 7th dropped on one of the Western Hospitality mixtapes
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 11:19:07 AM by SuperSpider »

WestWestYA

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 07:17:49 AM »
Yup and also Bangloose.