Author Topic: Stat Quo Interview: Compton Was Wack, Dre's Vault, Shady/Aftermath Experience  (Read 1767 times)

me1

Posted this here (not Outbound) because the content is so Dre/Aftermath heavy.

This is a great watch. Commit 55 minutes to the whole thing.

No one from Dre's inner circle has gone where he goes with respect to critique of Compton, discussing the Shady label's affinity for corny singles (basically why Obie dropped and Stat didn't: Stat objected to a Got Some Teeth type opening track), discussing some of the contents of Dre's vault and directly comparing to Compton (Favorite song is My Diary from Compton which is basically telling us Dre's got 100s of songs on that vibe), etc. Touches on some of the songs in the Dre vault that I hadn't been aware of (joint with Bono, for example; an incredible Em/Nate song)

http://www.hiphopdx.com/news/id.42269/title.stat-quo-remembers-the-moment-he-told-dr-dre-compton-was-wack-pissing-off-eminem

I don't know Justin Hunte personally but he gets some great interviews over there at DX. This is one of them.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 05:23:48 AM by manny1 »

sheparali

Finally somebody speak'n the truth on that wack ass album

SuperSpider

Yup, it was hilarious listening to Dre rap ''I was a starving artist, that's why I would never starve an artist'' and thinking ''Wait a minute, how many people were signed to your label and NEVER put out an album, sometimes not even a song''. The whole album was very forced, but I've been saying this since it dropped so nothing new

Blood$

well, that's just like his opinion, man.

me1

Wouldn't mind a white russian right now.

The thing that sucks is that shit isn't ever seeing the light of day. It's not like when Dre passes his estate will want to cash in and put some music out. They wont need or want the dough. What they'll want is to preserve his legacy and they'll be programmed (like Dre is now) to think that music isn't good enough to put out.

Sccit

Lol @ him not listening to Eminem and asking him for a million to put a song out. Dumbass.

dj coma

Yup, it was hilarious listening to Dre rap ''I was a starving artist, that's why I would never starve an artist'' and thinking ''Wait a minute, how many people were signed to your label and NEVER put out an album, sometimes not even a song''. The whole album was very forced, but I've been saying this since it dropped so nothing new

When did anybody on Aftermath ever complain about not getting paid though? "Starving" has more to do with whether they were paid and less to do with whether their album came out. The way I understand how it works at Aftermath is the artists and producers are basically on salary (like $150-200k/yr I think I heard) with benefits and they just have to show up to the studio and work like it's a 9-5. Nobody that was signed to Aftermath was starving while they were there unless they were terrible at managing their money.

As for albums not coming out, Stat Quo blames himself in this interview for his album not coming out and I've heard King T also blame himself for his album not coming out.

Blood$

Wouldn't mind a white russian right now.

The thing that sucks is that shit isn't ever seeing the light of day. It's not like when Dre passes his estate will want to cash in and put some music out. They wont need or want the dough. What they'll want is to preserve his legacy and they'll be programmed (like Dre is now) to think that music isn't good enough to put out.

the sad truth

Lol @ him not listening to Eminem and asking him for a million to put a song out. Dumbass.

yeah that was hilarious lol dude thought just because the whole Shady/Aftermath/G-Unit camp was killing it at that time he automatically was entitled to a check like that and it was a sure thing

bigpimpin20

never really followed stat quos carrier, which of his projects is ''the aftermath'' album?

Sccit

never really followed stat quos carrier, which of his projects is ''the aftermath'' album?

He never dropped on aftermath

Blood$

he was on a few Eminem, Obie Trice and G-Unit releases but his album dropped after he left the label

bigpimpin20

he was on a few Eminem, Obie Trice and G-Unit releases but his album dropped after he left the label
so all his albums/mixtapes are post-aftermath material?

dj coma

I swear I read in an interview after he left Aftermath that he said he had 100's of songs from when he was at Aftermath and had permission to release them and was planning on doing so. Not sure if that ever happened.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 02:34:47 PM by dj coma »

OriginalVersion

I swear I read in an interview after he left Aftermath that he said he had 100's of songs from when he was at Aftermath and had permission to release them and was planning on doing so. Not sure if that ever happened.

I've read that same interview and he never did drop any of the material.
+++||ORIGINAL VERSION||+++

Sccit

there was a Dre produced joint on one of his albums post-aftermath, so maybe he does