Author Topic: Came to the conclusion the other day..  (Read 913 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Came to the conclusion the other day..
« on: February 08, 2017, 10:57:18 AM »
Documentary 2.5 is one of the best albums off the coast in years. Hands down Game's third best album; if not second.

Blood$

Re: Came to the conclusion the other day..
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 11:00:00 AM »
agreed

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 01:31:04 PM »
Documentary 2.5 is one of the best albums off the coast in years. Hands down Game's third best album; if not second.

Agreed....the DJ Quik and Battlecat songs are top notch, still bumping them to this day.  People will always have different favorites, but if you take the best songs from Documentary 2 and 2.5 and put them together into one album, you have a very solid album.  Sounds more like the old school Game on this one too.  I don't know what it was, but ever since the LAX, he sounded like he had a much higher voice and rapped differently, like he was trying to be like Kanye West or something.  He brought the deep grimey voice back for the documentary 2 and 2.5. 

WestSideDon

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 01:31:51 PM »
Im a huge game fan, and I must say the album(s) were/was overrated.
There were amazing songs on there but also filler and songs were Games imitation of other rappers was really annoying.
2.5 was much stronger than 2 tho, my fav song from there were:

-Up On The Wall: One of my fav songs from 2015, that Beat is ABSOLUTELY ILL, and Game killed it. YG & Problem were also dope, cool to see this have 5 verses actually.
-Life: Great sample & production, and Game spits some real shit here
-Crenshaw/80's & Cocaine: Dope production and Game once again comes through and kills it. Wouldve been much better to have two full length songs tho.
-The Ghetto: Game & Nas both goin in with the beat being very atmospheric but gives them enough room to shine with the lyrics.

There were also some filler songs on here, most notably "Moment Of Violence" which is totally wack to me, from the Beat to the way Game raps and the guest or Quicks Groove which has an amazing production but Game biting Suga Frees delivery just sounds so wrong and outta place that i cant really listen to it

I'd rank his discography like:

-Documentary
-Doctors Advocate
-Lax/Doc 2.5
-Doc 2
-Red Album/Jesus Piece
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:33:36 PM by WestSideDon »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 03:08:23 PM »
LAX was cool to me for about two, maybe two & a half spins. Absolutely no replay value.

Documentary 2.5 was a perfect blend of old & new sounds.

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 04:57:26 PM »
Quicks Groove which has an amazing production but Game biting Suga Frees delivery just sounds so wrong and outta place that i cant really listen to it

He is biting Suga Free bad on that song.  I have no doubt there's a Suga Free version of that song out there somewhere. Wish we could hear it.  I feel like it was originally made for Street Gospel II, then Quik gave it to Game.   

Sccit

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 09:04:59 PM »
2 and 2.5 were both great albums.....2.5 was a lil better tho.

2015 was a good year for the west with kendrick, dre, game all dropping gems.

Blood$

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 10:43:28 PM »

Agreed....the DJ Quik and Battlecat songs are top notch, still bumping them to this day.  People will always have different favorites, but if you take the best songs from Documentary 2 and 2.5 and put them together into one album, you have a very solid album.  Sounds more like the old school Game on this one too.  I don't know what it was, but ever since the LAX, he sounded like he had a much higher voice and rapped differently, like he was trying to be like Kanye West or something.  He brought the deep grimey voice back for the documentary 2 and 2.5. 

yeah that's why some of the stuff from Jesus Piece, OKE, California Republic, etc. I wasn't too big on but they were still good releases

dnjp4life

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 04:59:55 AM »

I completely agree.  It's probably his second best album (I haven't heard his more recent output), and a personal classic to me.  The tracks blend together so well and it's a really well executed album with basically no filler or tracks that I don't bump. 

Of course it helps that the beats bang and Game sounds great over all of them (even if he is blatantly imitating Suga Free on that one track).

This is the proper sequel in my opinion, and not The Documentary 2.