Author Topic: Xzibit - Restless (22nd Anniversary)  (Read 307 times)

Okka

Xzibit - Restless (22nd Anniversary)
« on: December 12, 2022, 01:41:20 AM »
Happy Birthday to "Restless". One of my favorite albums of all time. It's an undisputed classic in my opinion, but I can see why some of Xzibit's oldest fans might not have liked it back then. Do we have X fans from his "At The Speed Of Life" days here? How did "Restless" sound to you when it dropped?

The following users thanked this post: Jome, Mr.(Ko)Kane, HighEyeCue, Marco, Teddy Loc

Okka

Re: Xzibit - Restless (22nd Anniversary)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 01:43:09 AM »
I found this old website with an article that came out before "Restless" dropped. It seems "Black Rabbit" was meant to be on "Restless" too.

Restless, the third album from Xzibit, executive produced by Dr. Dre. Follow up to his last two critically praised albums 40 Dayz and 40 Nightz (released August 1998) and At The Speed Of Life (released August 1996).

Could the timing be any better and the anticipation any higher for Restless, the third album from Xzibit, executive produced by Dr. Dre. After releasing two critically praised albums 40 Dayz and 40 Nightz (released August 1998) and At The Speed Of Life (released August 1996), Xzibit knew he needed to surface beyond the underground. In the past year alone, Xzibit has made guest appearances on over 30 tracks with various MCs including Snoop Dogg, Eminem, De La Soul, Erick Sermon, Tony Touch and even Limp Bizkit. His cameo on Snoop Dogg’s "B Please" produced by Dr. Dre brought Xzibit into the spotlight. He remarks, "After ‘B Please’ dropped, it was all over. It was one of my first radio cuts that wasn’t a local record; it was heard all over he world. ‘B Please’ definitely broadened my fan base and exposed me on another level." Snoop says of his West Coast comrade, "He’s always been underrated, but Xzibit is one of the most dominant West Coast underground rappers in the game. And I’m glad I had the opportunity to put him on my record, do a video with him, blow him up, and let the world see what he’s all about." Xzibit first came on the scene in 1995, when he toured with Tha Liks (formerly Tha Alkaholiks) as a member of Tha Likwit Crew (Tha Liks, Defari, and King Tee). In 1996, he signed with Loud Records and released two critically praised albums, At The Speed of Life (1996) which exploded on the underground scene and 40 Dayz and 40 Nightz (1998). The video for the lead single, "What You See Is What You Get", on the 40 Dayz and 40 Nights LP broke a record remaining at the #1 position for six weeks in a row on BET’s Rap City, surpassing the rotation of The Notorious B.I.G.’s "Hypnotize" video. Both albums gave underground hip-hop heads a glimpse of Xzibit’s lyrical genius and raw artistic technique. Well-known for his verbal assaults, Xzibit explains how Restless is different lyrically from his previous albums, "I’ve paid my dues battle rapping through my first two albums and I’ve proven that I can spit. Restless has more songs with concepts. My tone, delivery and cadence is a little different from my earlier two albums." Dr.Dre, lays the foundation on Restless with five tracks including the first banging single simply titled "X" (featuring Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre); "Take Your Stripes" (featuring Dr. Dre); "Take Me There" (featuring Tray Dee and female MC, Ms Rog), a fiery guitar-driven track warning would be rappers who wanna battle that Xzibit is always prepared for a verbal challenge; the chest thumping "You Know" (featuring Dr. Dre). and "Black Rabbit." Xzibit points out, "Since Dr. Dre is the Executive Producer of the album, he helped me choose the tracks. He arranged the songs and made suggestions on where a hook should go or where a chant should slide in. I painted the picture and he filled it in." Xzibit has assembled some of the top beat makers including Rockwilder, The Teamsters and west coast favorites like Mel-Man, DJ Quik, Soopafly, and Battlecat. Snoop, Nate Dogg, Eminem,Tray Dee, Defari and King Tee make cameo on the disc. In addition to "X" Snoop is also featured on the Parliament Funkadelic sounding "DNA" (Drugs and Alcohol), produced by DJ Quik. "Get Your Walk On" produced by Mel-Man and Battlecat is a gangsta funk battle cry for all the bangers. Xzibit explains, "It’s a party track. Something for niggas to go wild on in the clubs." Eminem produces and appears on "Don’t Approach Me." On the reflective "Sorry I’m Away So Long" dedicated to his son, Xzibit reflects on how much he misses his little man when he’s on the road performing. Produced by DJ Quik, the song features a blistering appearance by wispy-voiced Suga Free. Restless would not be complete without Tha Liks. "Loud ‘N’ Clear" produced by Battlecat is a brag-fest allowing King Tee and Defari to big up the Likwit Crew. Despite all the attention surrounding Xzibit, he hasn’t forgotten where he began. "I am starting a label called Open Bar Entertainment," Xzibit says proudly. I just feel like the Likwit Crew never got a fair share in the marketplace, so now that I have my hands around the opportunity, I’m taking my family with me. The first person I signed was King Tee. I also signed Defari and I'm bringing Golden State Warriors over there." Linking up with West Coast heavyweights is all part of Xzibit’s master plan. Xzibit says he’s ready for success, "All my experiences on Snoop’s Top Dogg, Dr. Dre’s Chronic 2001, the Up In Smoke tour and the Anger Management tour are paying off." Eminem says of his Up In Smoke/Anger Management tour mate, "Xzibit is about to blow; you can smell it in the air. I don’t think he smells it, just like I didn’t smell it when I was about to blow. You can see when Xzibit goes onstage, the energy that he’s got is what’s gonna put him over the top." So now with all the pieces finally falling in place, Xzibit can barely hold in his excitement with Restless, "With Restless, I’m gonna serve my core fans and also create new ones. I’ve come too far and struggled too long to give them anything else but the best. Now it’s time to sell millions."

https://www.angelfire.com/hiphop/thecipher/xzibit.html

doggfather

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 02:04:48 AM »
IMO 40 dayz is his best album ever.

when this came out i aint really liked it.

sounds like an up in the smoke merchandise to me not an actual album.

The up in the smoke tour was a huge thing. there are dozens of albums after that (and 2001 oc) which follow the sound, formula what Dre created to that album.

This album, restless is a perfect example to that to me from day 1.

The changes with tha time is now i aint hate this album, but can hear its highligts.

But still aint that good as his 1st album, and nowhere to 40 dayz to me.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

HighEyeCue

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 04:32:29 AM »
I really wasn't up on him until Bitch Please and his work on 2001 and Streetz and this is the album that made me a fan of his 8)

The following users thanked this post: Marco

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 08:50:37 AM »
Great thread… was not only a big moment in the West Coast resurgence era but also a big moment in my own personal life.

Was 18 and moved out on my own for the first time working nightstock at local supermarket remember going out to my car and bumpin “Best of Things” on repeat.  Wrote my dad (well the guy who was allegedly my dad but would find out many years later I’m artificially insiminated by a Med student) and told him pretty much everything I’d been holding back all my life while I was in his home and unable to speak for fear of reprisal.

So like “At the Speed of Life” that came before it “Best of Things” sounds like liberation to me.  After I wrote that letter it was like a whole nother world opened up and I was able to think in way previously closed to me.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 08:50:51 PM »
Reminds of my school days when single "x" came out and the question in the mags was "will dre's golden touch get Xzibit out of underground"
Good album but his first ones were better.

dnjp4life

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2022, 12:37:59 PM »
When I last listened to Restless earlier this year I realised how great Xzibit’s first verse on the last track Loud and Clear is, he just attacks the beat as soon as the track comes in and his flow over it is incredible. A less talked about gem on an album full to the brim with some of Xzibit’s best tracks. The bass is so hard on that record it’s ridiculous.

The sequencing on this album is spot-on (probably Dr. Dre’s doing) and all of the beats thump. Also I think it has pretty much the perfect lineup of features that you could possibly come up with (aside from maybe All Eyez On Me).

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue, Marco

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 06:38:29 PM »
You’re right about timing… and of course got to credit Dre (Executive Producer)

They built a buzz for Xzibit that year to transition him from underground to platinum that couldn’t fail.  Startin with “Bitch Please” then the Mel Man “Year 2000” was such a great song and single off soundtrack, then Up and Smoke Tour, how many of y’all remember the sampler with Big Boy they passed out Anger Management Tour opening for Eminem??  Then he grabbed a shared Source cover with Prodigy.. then you got Snoop to assist his first single “X” Dre produced banger (which in retrospect sounded a lot like Tim and Bobs unreleased joint from Dre’s Aftermath lost 97 King Tee year)…

Finally the album drops just in time for that Christmas boost…

They did everything to make this guy succeed and he delivered on his side of the bargain.  Great moment in history of West Coast.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2022, 04:10:17 AM »
When I last listened to Restless earlier this year I realised how great Xzibit’s first verse on the last track Loud and Clear is, he just attacks the beat as soon as the track comes in and his flow over it is incredible. A less talked about gem on an album full to the brim with some of Xzibit’s best tracks. The bass is so hard on that record it’s ridiculous.

The sequencing on this album is spot-on (probably Dr. Dre’s doing) and all of the beats thump. Also I think it has pretty much the perfect lineup of features that you could possibly come up with (aside from maybe All Eyez On Me).

you are right about that...very similar to the sequencing of Tha Last Meal which came out a couple of weeks after if I remember correctly

Dre put his midas touch on both albums

Okka

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2022, 12:25:16 PM »

"Since Dr. Dre is the Executive Producer of the album, he helped me choose the tracks. He arranged the songs and made suggestions on where a hook should go or where a chant should slide in. I painted the picture and he filled it in." - Xzibit

The following users thanked this post: Dee Tha AK

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2022, 11:02:06 PM »
"Since Dr. Dre is the Executive Producer of the album, he helped me choose the tracks. He arranged the songs and made suggestions on where a hook should go or where a chant should slide in. I painted the picture and he filled it in." - Xzibit

Flip

Is dre producer, beatmaker or a thief?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2022, 04:15:41 AM »
you are right about that...very similar to the sequencing of Tha Last Meal which came out a couple of weeks after if I remember correctly

Dre put his midas touch on both albums

Yeah man what can you say but another great moment in the West Coast resurgence era.  Having Xzibit Restless LP and Snoop Last Meal both released within a month of each other—both containing a lot of Dre influence… great features and contributions from all the homies—Wests best assist makers—the West was buzzing once more. 

Great moments in West resurgence era…

-Jan 99’ Dre produces “My Name Is” and Eminem blows up
-Spring 99’ Xzibit sets it off with “Bitch Please”
-Dre releases sophmore album 2001 on the same day as Kurupt sophmore LP Streetz
-Snoop drops the Eastsidaz
-Up in Smoke Tour summer
-December 2000 Xzibit Restless and Snoop Last Meal

What a fuccin 2 year run!!!

The following users thanked this post: Teddy Loc, Dee Tha AK

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2022, 10:32:45 PM »
Yeah man what can you say but another great moment in the West Coast resurgence era.  Having Xzibit Restless LP and Snoop Last Meal both released within a month of each other—both containing a lot of Dre influence… great features and contributions from all the homies—Wests best assist makers—the West was buzzing once more. 

Great moments in West resurgence era…

-Jan 99’ Dre produces “My Name Is” and Eminem blows up
-Spring 99’ Xzibit sets it off with “Bitch Please”
-Dre releases sophmore album 2001 on the same day as Kurupt sophmore LP Streetz
-Snoop drops the Eastsidaz
-Up in Smoke Tour summer
-December 2000 Xzibit Restless and Snoop Last Meal

What a fuccin 2 year run!!!

Good observation

The following users thanked this post: Teddy Loc