Author Topic: Was Streetz is a Mutha a near Classic?  (Read 6887 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Was Streetz is a Mutha a near Classic?
« on: February 14, 2017, 02:59:52 AM »
In retrospect I think Kuruption may of been a letdown from his flawless performance at Death Row--but if confined to one disc then maybe it was one of the best albums of those post-PAC years.  It's an album I still listen to from time to time.

As for Streetz is a Mutha Kurupt really outdid himself and this was around the time the resurgence out west started to take place with Top Dogg, Dres album, Eastsidaz--and Kurupt went back to that pure West Coast sound.

If you could've taken his hot lead single from Kuruption "We Can Freak It" and had that to blow up Street Is A Mutha it might've been bonafied classic album.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Re: Was Streetz is a Mutha a near Classic?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 03:08:37 AM »
Yes it was. Fantastic album which had a cohesive flow, everyone came correct and kurupt was on form and coherent. A solid 4.5 mic release.

4mics for the songs and an extra half for the dmx skit.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 05:08:19 AM »
Classic IMO...your right about "Kuruption" though, some of my favorite all time Kurupt tracks are on that album 8)

doggfather

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 05:44:13 AM »
simply the best dogg pound release.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Okka

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 06:57:25 AM »
Definitely a classic album. No doubt.

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 07:22:31 AM »
Yes, it is.

Blood$

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 08:14:28 AM »
a hip-hop classic arguably but most definitely a personal classic in my eyes

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 08:29:19 AM »
I always thought of it as a streets classic. When it first came out, EVERYONE in California was bumping this. I remember I was in college, I came home for Christmas break and picked up my sister from high school and damn near every car leaving the school wasn't bumping 2001, but Streetz Iz A Mutha.

Over time, it didn't really move the culture the way 2001 did. So as just a classic album, no. But as a straight streets album that real people listened to, and go the streets moving, hell yes this is a classic.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 08:41:23 AM »
Classic, without a doubt. And it was clear at the time of its release. Plus it had the commercial appeal from stuff like Who Ride Wit Us and Girls All Pause. Bangers for the car. Stuff for the hip-hop heads too. Good production all around. Maybe it's just me, but even though he went hard at DMX, the song was a little underwhelming to me from a lyrical standpoint since we got the Xxplosive type Kurupt on that one. But now that I think about it, I recall even doing a Spanish presentation on this album.

Kuruption was an interesting concept with the two discs but it had too much filler. He was a little ambitious with the double disc thing for a solo debut - I remember Krayzie Bone getting criticized for the same thing when he put out Thug Mentality 1999. But I rarely played the second disc, and I think I only cared to listen to that bonus track with Noreaga.

WestWestYA

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 09:53:57 AM »
Better than any daz album. Except for R.A.W. which is a classic for me.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 10:05:44 AM »
Classic, without a doubt. And it was clear at the time of its release. Plus it had the commercial appeal from stuff like Who Ride Wit Us and Girls All Pause. Bangers for the car. Stuff for the hip-hop heads too. Good production all around. Maybe it's just me, but even though he went hard at DMX, the song was a little underwhelming to me from a lyrical standpoint since we got the Xxplosive type Kurupt on that one. But now that I think about it, I recall even doing a Spanish presentation on this album.

Kuruption was an interesting concept with the two discs but it had too much filler. He was a little ambitious with the double disc thing for a solo debut - I remember Krayzie Bone getting criticized for the same thing when he put out Thug Mentality 1999. But I rarely played the second disc, and I think I only cared to listen to that bonus track with Noreaga.

Kurupt was drunk when he recorded "Callin Out Names" according to his cousin Redrum...he even threw up at one point

dj coma

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 10:08:38 AM »
It was an amazing album but it was also the beginning of the end for Kurupt as a top lyricist.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 10:20:46 AM »

I always loved "The Life" track off the East Coast disc.  I remember being in some thick ass depression during 98' and I'd spending a lot of time just staring out my bedroom window with that track on repeat and it'd take my mind to some far off place.

Bad Azz album came out around the same time and "The Last Time" was another sentimental track for me.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:29:44 AM by Infinite Trapped In 1996 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 10:42:57 AM »

Kurupt was drunk when he recorded "Callin Out Names" according to his cousin Redrum...he even threw up at one point

Callin Out Names went hard. I liked drunk Kurupt. Never underwhelmed to me. Maybe though because I use to listen to it drunk or high.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 11:36:30 AM »

I always loved "The Life" track off the East Coast disc.  I remember being in some thick ass depression during 98' and I'd spending a lot of time just staring out my bedroom window with that track on repeat and it'd take my mind to some far off place.

Bad Azz album came out around the same time and "The Last Time" was another sentimental track for me.

East Coast Disc is slept on...definitely some bangers on there just wish he could have got Pete Rock to at least give him one beat