Author Topic: Was Streetz is a Mutha a near Classic?  (Read 6808 times)

Sccit

Re: Was Streetz is a Mutha a near Classic?
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2017, 12:43:42 AM »

A classic list without one bay album.

I Zalute you M-Dogg!  Always knew you had good taste

he put 2 kendrick albums and not Dogg food or regulate.....even your dumbass can laugh at that

Even though I like Dogg Food and Regulate G Funk Era way better, it terms of impact, both Kendrick solos defined a new era of good Hip-Hop

lol regulate helped define g-funk

No The Chronic did

The chronic is a completely different sound than regulate

I agree but to me Chronic defined the genre, Regulate perfected it to the sound we all know and like imo

Yup .. That's why I said it HELPED define g-funk

Enigma

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2017, 01:01:29 AM »
Yes, Streetz is a certified classic. Really not one bad song on there and stuck to a concept the whole way through.

It's curse was timing, coming out the same day as Chronic 2001. But make no mistake, EVERY single rap fan in Cali, even ones who weren't big on Dogg Pound, were knocking Streetz iz A Mutha for a solid 2 years after it came out. Whether the masses choose to acknowledge it or not, this album helped define that late 90's/early 2000's West coast era.

dexter

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2017, 02:16:53 PM »

The what are classic albums to you. Like to me, I have Streetz Iz A Mutha as a personal and street classic. But I don't consider it a straight Hip-Hop classic because I can argue about it's weak points and weak songs. Like Represent That GC, which honestly is one of my favorite songs to listen to, even to this day, where he raps the same words over and over and has maybe the most simple bars I've heard from Kurupt. So to me, it's a solid album, but not really a classic.

Yeah "Represent" is fuckin dope.. Especially for you Cali peeps.... And I'd take his "Man what a day/ Sunny Cali-forn-I-A--Bitch Bitch Bitch" lines from that one over the "Homeboy, homeboy, homeboy repitition on "Neva Gone Give It Up"--you know Nate makes "Neva Gonna Give It Up" a banger because in spite of the All-Star cast the lyrics are underwhelming

As for your list I kind of did think it was mostly accurate in an objective sense.  I like that you had Wild Style on there cause I think that was one of the great and important moments in hip-hop's early days.  Really captures all that was great about the early days.

u r a RACA

dexter

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2017, 02:19:11 PM »
Yes, Streetz is a certified classic. Really not one bad song on there and stuck to a concept the whole way through.

It's curse was timing, coming out the same day as Chronic 2001. But make no mistake, EVERY single rap fan in Cali, even ones who weren't big on Dogg Pound, were knocking Streetz iz A Mutha for a solid 2 years after it came out. Whether the masses choose to acknowledge it or not, this album helped define that late 90's/early 2000's West coast era.
True

Don Seer

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2017, 11:11:27 AM »
Its a good album, but jesus christ infnite still claiming that what ever albums ass he's got his tongue up this week is a forgotten classic.

btw the inclusion of Kendrick Lamar in m doggs list is a shame.. the rest was fairly on point but two recent (in the scheme of the list) albums from the same guy.. when 2pac, for example.. doesn't get all eyez on me... which IS a (flawed) classic..  IMO..

a classic has to be a 360 degree thing. great album, sold well, did well in the mainstream consciousness, was for men and women and worldwide... etc.. streetz aint that (and  neither is Kendrick Lamar )

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 11:20:29 AM by Don Seer »

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2017, 10:20:43 AM »
Its a good album, but jesus christ infnite still claiming that what ever albums ass he's got his tongue up this week is a forgotten classic.

btw the inclusion of Kendrick Lamar in m doggs list is a shame.. the rest was fairly on point but two recent (in the scheme of the list) albums from the same guy.. when 2pac, for example.. doesn't get all eyez on me... which IS a (flawed) classic..  IMO..

a classic has to be a 360 degree thing. great album, sold well, did well in the mainstream consciousness, was for men and women and worldwide... etc.. streetz aint that (and  neither is Kendrick Lamar )

I actually have a list of 58, which I'm about to expand to 60, that's "more inclusive" and has more "classics'. I just put this one up, taking out the ones I thought were flawed classics and only focusing on works that I think are pure classics. Also, it pisses off Sccit, and if it's one thing I've learned in 15 years, it's how to piss of Sccit. Dude is almost 30 and still gets pissed off easily.

Don Seer

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2017, 10:27:48 AM »
 8)

Sccit

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2017, 11:15:19 AM »

I actually have a list of 58, which I'm about to expand to 60, that's "more inclusive" and has more "classics'. I just put this one up, taking out the ones I thought were flawed classics and only focusing on works that I think are pure classics. Also, it pisses off Sccit, and if it's one thing I've learned in 15 years, it's how to piss of Sccit. Dude is almost 30 and still gets pissed off easily.

I duno who told you that making people think you an idiot means you pissing them off, but they lied homie.  

Blood$

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2017, 12:28:43 PM »
Bad Azz's first album was good but it wasn't a classic.

Classic to me

Soopafly first album too

I'd love to see your classics list. I wrote one, I was very tough, and I still had like 60 albums. And I didn't put in a lot of ones you thought I should, which would have put it at like 100. So I'd like to see yours.

If you had 60 classic albums than your grading scale is to easy

I got shit for being too hard and leaving out a number of albums. Honestly, I think Hip-Hop's grading scale is too easy. People are like, they need 3 classics before they get GOAT conversations. Like seriously, 3 classics! Hip-Hop gives out classic labels too easy. Almost every mainstream rapper that is somewhat big gets a classic album. Maybe we need to stop using the word classic and start talking about how artist have their trademark album, or they have their own masterpiece album. Because the word classic gets thrown around a lot. Looking at the list, it's actually 58, I could take out a lot and be happy with the list, the more I think about it. Like here would be the list....

1.   Kurtis Blow - Kurtis Blow - 1980
2.   Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - The Message -1982
3.   Wild Style Original Soundtrack - 1983
4.   Run-DMC - Run DMC - 1984
5.   Boogie Down Production - Criminal Minded - 1987
6.   Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full - 1987
7.   Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - 1988
8.   N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton - 1988
9.   A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory - 1991
10.   Dr. Dre - The Chronic - 1992
11.   Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) - 1993
12.   Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle - 1993
13.   Nas - Illmatic - 1994
14.   The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die - 1994
15.   2Pac - Me Against the World - 1995
16.   Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - 1998
17.   Dr. Dre - 2001 - 1999
18.   Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP - 2000
19.   Jay-Z - The Blueprint - 2001
20.   Nas - Stillmatic - 2001
21.   Kanye West - College Dropout - 2004
22.   Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, m.A.A.d. City - 2012
23.   Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly - 2015

Forget what I'm missing, what else can we cut.

To me, classic is only about quality of music .. Impact etc doesn't mean shit to me, because I don't give a shit what other people think. Most people are stupid as fuck. If it slaps front to back with no filler and I can play it every day of my life, it's a classic.

The what are classic albums to you. Like to me, I have Streetz Iz A Mutha as a personal and street classic. But I don't consider it a straight Hip-Hop classic because I can argue about it's weak points and weak songs. Like Represent That GC, which honestly is one of my favorite songs to listen to, even to this day, where he raps the same words over and over and has maybe the most simple bars I've heard from Kurupt. So to me, it's a solid album, but not really a classic.

Lol @ Kendrick having two classics but not dogg food, and not a single Bay Area album .... You're a funny guy.

no South albums either lol I mean we're all entitled to our own opinions and in my opinion that list is basically the same cliche list you would see on Rollingstone or Complex but it's all good

basically Too $hort, E-40, OutKast, UGK, Scarface, Geto Boys, Three 6 Mafia, etc. don't have any classics then  :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:11:23 PM by Blood$ »

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2017, 02:28:12 PM »

Classic to me

Soopafly first album too

I'd love to see your classics list. I wrote one, I was very tough, and I still had like 60 albums. And I didn't put in a lot of ones you thought I should, which would have put it at like 100. So I'd like to see yours.

I got shit for being too hard and leaving out a number of albums. Honestly, I think Hip-Hop's grading scale is too easy. People are like, they need 3 classics before they get GOAT conversations. Like seriously, 3 classics! Hip-Hop gives out classic labels too easy. Almost every mainstream rapper that is somewhat big gets a classic album. Maybe we need to stop using the word classic and start talking about how artist have their trademark album, or they have their own masterpiece album. Because the word classic gets thrown around a lot. Looking at the list, it's actually 58, I could take out a lot and be happy with the list, the more I think about it. Like here would be the list....

To me, classic is only about quality of music .. Impact etc doesn't mean shit to me, because I don't give a shit what other people think. Most people are stupid as fuck. If it slaps front to back with no filler and I can play it every day of my life, it's a classic.

Lol @ Kendrick having two classics but not dogg food, and not a single Bay Area album .... You're a funny guy.

no South albums either lol I mean we're all entitled to our own opinions and in my opinion that list is basically the same cliche list you would see on Rollingstone or Complex but it's all good

basically Too $hort, E-40, OutKast, UGK, Scarface, Geto Boys, Three 6 Mafia, etc. don't have any classics then  :laugh:

I put my big list and I got critized for some southern albums. I'm going to update my big list and repost that.

Blood$

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2017, 02:48:07 PM »

Classic to me

Soopafly first album too

I put my big list and I got critized for some southern albums. I'm going to update my big list and repost that.

I actually might recall that, but shame on whoever was critical of an album just based off it being Southern... if I had any debate maybe you said for example one Geto Boys album was a classic where I felt a different album from them was

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2017, 02:51:02 PM »
Here's the large list, with album covers. LOL Not arguments people have on Outkast and Geto Boys. But they didn't like Wayne. I personally didn't either, but it changed the game and all over the radio these mumble rappers try to be like him. The Carter III changed the game.

Kurtis Blow - Kurtis Blow - 1980

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - The Message -1982

Wild Style Original Soundtrack - 1983

Run-DMC - Run DMC - 1984

LL Cool J - Radio - 1985

Run-DMC - Raising Hell - 1986

Boogie Down Production - Criminal Minded - 1987

Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full - 1987

Slick Rick - The Great Adventures of Slick Rick - 1988

EPMD - Strictly Business -1988

Big Daddy Kane - Long Live the Kane - 1988

Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - 1988

N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton - 1988

Eazy-E - Eazy Does It - 1988

Ultramagnetic MC's - Critical Beatdown -1988

Boogie Down Productions - By All Means Necessary - 1988

De La Soul - 3 Feel High and Rising - 1989

D.O.C. - No One Can Do It Better - 1989

Too $Hort - Life is Too $hort - 1989

Geto Boys - Grip It! On That Other Level - 1989

Jungle Brothers - Done by the Forces of Nature - 1989

Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet -1990

A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm -1990

Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted - 1990

DJ Quik - Quik Is the Name - 1991

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory - 1991

Ice Cube - Death Certificate 1991

Redman - Whut? Thee Album - 1992

The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde - 1992

Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca and the Soul Brother - 1992

Dr. Dre - The Chronic - 1992

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) - 1993

Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle - 1993

Nas - Illmatic - 1994

Scarface - The Diary - 1994

The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die - 1994

Warren G - Regulate... the G-Funk Era

OutKast - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik - 1994

Chef Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... - 1995

Mobb Deep - The Infamous - 1995

2Pac - Me Against the World - 1995

2Pac - All Eyez On Me - 1996

Makaveli - The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory - 1996

Fugees - The Score - 1996

The Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death - 1997

Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - 1998

OutKast - Aquemini - 1998

The Roots - Things Fall Apart - 1999

Dr. Dre - 2001 - 1999

Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP - 2000

Jay-Z - The Blueprint - 2001

Nas - Stillmatic - 2001

Eminem - The Eminem Show - 2002

Kanye West - College Dropout - 2004

Common - Be - 2005

Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury - 2006

Lil' Wayne - The Carter III - 2008 (I threw up a little bit in my mouth, but it set the tone for most modern hip-hop)

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - 2010

Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, m.A.A.d. City - 2012

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly - 2015

Blood$

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2017, 05:42:28 PM »
musically I will never ever acknowledge Carter III as a classic because there were most definitely a handful of garbage tracks that I skipped back then and still do now, but in terms of impact I hate to agree with you lol Carter 1 and II >>> though

Sccit

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2017, 06:53:21 PM »
It's still a garbage list lol .. Like bloodmoney said, some generic list you would see on complex

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2017, 07:31:24 PM »
It's still a garbage list lol .. Like bloodmoney said, some generic list you would see on complex

I challenge you to make yours. You wouldn't, because you have no opinions. Just hate.