Author Topic: "Fo Life" >>> "Backyard Boogie" -- and other sophomore jinx of the 90's  (Read 922 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Remember when rappers used to explode out the box and the. The second time around it just didn't have that same energy.  That "4 Life" shit was a perfect opening jump off to Macks career, and I think he was his best during the "Bow Down" beefing with the East days.  "Westside Slaughterhouse" is still a banger to this day. 

"Niggaz rappin since the 70's and still never went gold" ;D ;D 8)
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

DeeezNuuuts83

Re: "Fo Life" >>> "Backyard Boogie" -- and other sophomore jinx of the 90's
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 08:45:55 AM »
Backyard Boogie was a fucking banger though in the hood. I remember when it came out, all the Cholos banged that in my high school. I remember they rolled in this black Impala and literally everyday they would roll by blasting that song. But yeah, other than that song, the album was aight.

Who would you say had a better sophomore effort while still having a good debut? Maybe Kurupt?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 10:15:22 AM »
Backyard Boogie was a fucking banger though in the hood. I remember when it came out, all the Cholos banged that in my high school. I remember they rolled in this black Impala and literally everyday they would roll by blasting that song. But yeah, other than that song, the album was aight.

Who would you say had a better sophomore effort while still having a good debut? Maybe Kurupt?

"Backyard Boogie" wasn't bad and I remember people liking it when it came out.  But that shit just doesn't bang like "4 Life" does.

I count Dogg Food as Kurupts first album.  And if that's the case then he also fits into the sophomore jinx if you take Kuruption as his second album.  Then Streetz is a Mutha is like a comeback album.

Xzibit and Eminem are good examples of rappers who didn't sophomore jinx, and actually improved.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 12:57:12 PM »
YG too

HighEyeCue

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 03:36:58 PM »
Snoop

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 04:39:12 PM »
Ehh... Doggfather was decent but it was just so far behind Doggystyle that it's hard (though admittedly unfair) to not label it as the sophomore jinx

HighEyeCue

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 04:56:29 PM »
I meant Snoop had the sophomore jinx...as far as rappers who improved I'd say Daz RAW > RRGB

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 06:51:59 PM »
I meant Snoop had the sophomore jinx...as far as rappers who improved I'd say Daz RAW > RRGB

Agreed on Snoop.... but as for Daz RRGB was classic

HighEyeCue

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 09:11:46 AM »

Agreed on Snoop.... but as for Daz RRGB was classic

yeah RRGB was dope for sure, but RAW was just exactly that so raw, IMO Daz best album 8)

Sccit

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 12:34:20 AM »
Warren g, nate dogg, celly cel, dubee, bad azz all debuted with classics too

2pac is probably the only artist who kept improving with each album