Author Topic: Pacquiao vs. Khan - reportedly set for April 23rd  (Read 1119 times)

DeeezNuuuts83

Pacquiao vs. Khan - reportedly set for April 23rd
« on: February 27, 2017, 08:00:37 PM »
Let's get stuff out of the way:

Manny is aging and on a decline in terms of fighting ability, but he's coming off of two good wins, both complete with two knockdowns apiece.
Manny isn't as popular as he once was, but that's going to be expected at this point in time.  (And frankly Floyd's numbers weren't much better either, and his guarantee is a lot higher.)
Khan is coming off of a KO defeat and perhaps undeservedly jumping right into the front of the Pacquiao sweepstakes, but the loss at least happened when jumping up two weight classes and fighting Canelo, one of the best guys in the 154-160 range.

With that being said, this has been a marketable fight that was also bound to happen, with the backstory that exists between the two of them, having been sparring partners under Roach.  On one hand, one of Khan's advantages is that he was a sparring parter of Manny's while Manny was at his peak, so perhaps he has a good idea of Manny's timing and would theoretically be able to deal with an older Manny who doesn't throw as many punches and hasn't knocked anyone out since 2009.  But at the same time, Khan hasn't knocked anyone out since 2011 (which at this point isn't that much better), and with Khan's last loss having been by a KO, one would think that maybe he'd be a little too careful (kind of like Manny when he fought Rios, as he wasn't unleashing punches like he used to) and maybe retreat if he gets rocked by a hard punch.

I think that even with Khan's familiarity with Manny, Roach probably knows Khan well enough to come up with a great gameplan.  Khan tends to get spaghetti legs when rocked hard -- just think of when Garcia knocked him down (before the fight was stopped), or when he fought Maidana and was wobbly half the time.  I'm thinking it'll be a later round stoppage.

If Manny wins, I'd rather not see him waste his time with Jeff Horn (which made this fight sound way better than it would have, if it were announced right off the bat), so maybe a potential opponent for the later half of the year would be Adrien Broner.  I saw one website post a rumor (though it doesn't sound too likely to be true) about a lot of money potentially being put on the table for a fifth fight with Marquez to take place in China, but Marquez hasn't really seemed too interested in fight Manny again, and for good reason (even though it makes me think he's a pussy because of it).  If Manny knocks out Khan, then maybe Floyd will use his 50th shot with him (again), but that's also not too likely... though it doesn't look like the Macgregor talks are going very far, so you never know.

If Khan wins, then he could also fight Adrien Broner too, or maybe the winner of Thurman-Garcia.  (And if it's Garcia who wins that, then there's the storyline of Khan possibly avenging that TKO loss.)  But unless he absolutely annihilates Manny, I don't see Floyd caring to fight Khan.  I'd be doubtful that Khan would venture north again and try to fight Canelo though.  But maybe Cotto at 154, or some catchweight?

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Pacquiao vs. Khan - reportedly set for April 23rd
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 06:26:12 PM »
That faggot Arum said today he "doesn't know if this fight will happen".

AKA - He's pulling the strings to pull it.

Sccit

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 09:16:36 PM »
moved to may 19th

but who gives a shit, khan is coming off an L n is gunna get tossed either way

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 01:23:25 AM »
That faggot Arum said today he "doesn't know if this fight will happen".

AKA - He's pulling the strings to pull it.
Yeah but as Sccit mentioned, the date got pushed back, so maybe he was fudging his words a little bit to insinuate that it wasn't going down in April.

Arum always has his tricks, but he generally doesn't piss off Manny, usually just his opponent and their promoter (if he's not also their promoter as well).  And speaking of which, isn't Khan with Al Haymon?  Arum doesn't really get along with Haymon, so you figure part of the pushback is because of that.

But at the end of the day, money talks.  Pacquiao-Khan has a good chance at generating good money.  Pacquiao-Horn, not so much.  I think when Arum looks at the numbers, he's going to go for the bigger ones.

moved to may 19th

but who gives a shit, khan is coming off an L n is gunna get tossed either way
But Khan still has a decent name in the boxing world, so even if he isn't perceived as being a big threat, I think people won't mind paying money to see him get beat up.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 12:54:53 PM »
Khan is overrated, but he can run with a 38 year old Manny.

Fuck this fight though. Garcia/Thurman is all I need to talk about until after saturday.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 01:55:41 PM »
I'm going with Thurman on that one.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 07:04:36 AM »
...and I was right, but the fight was a snoozer.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 10:58:47 AM »
Keith just finessed him. Garcia picked it up late, but he lost almost all the middle rounds.

Can't believe that wasn't unanimous.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 11:37:53 AM »
Who do you think Thurman should go after next? Broner? The winner of Pac-Khan?

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 12:28:31 PM »
Who do you think Thurman should go after next? Broner? The winner of Pac-Khan?

Broner was standing & screaming the entire fight lol; he's probably going to stick his nose in there. He's coming off of Porter & now Garcia. I can see him taking an easier fight next.

I'd love to see Thurman v. Crawford if they can work out a weight.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 03:57:17 PM »
Arum officially cancelled the Pac-Khan fight. Fucking cocksucker.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 04:11:11 PM »
No he didn't.  Did you even read the article?

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/18847682/announced-fight-manny-pacquiao-amir-khan-happen

He just said that Koncz pursued the offer (which they had discussed but he was very skeptical about it), and in the due diligence process, they found out that the offer made by the investment group in the UAE wasn't solid.  You can't cancel something that wasn't really on.  So it was not an Arum thing.  To be honest, I didn't even really believe the deal anyway.  The alleged $38 million offer is just too high, even for someone like if it were someone like Floyd instead of Manny (but also fighting someone not quite in the elite rankings with boxing buzz).

Maybe we'll get Pacquiao-Broner (which I suspect it might be, since Arum is being secretive about it).  I wouldn't mind that.  Just not a Horn fight (which I don't think Arum is referring to, since it's an idea he's already pitched).

Sccit

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 05:47:25 PM »
pac needs to grow a pair n fight GGG

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 07:35:29 AM »
pac needs to grow a pair n fight GGG
[/quote
You mean Floyd, right?  I don't think people are clamoring for Pacquiao-Golovkin.  Unless you think a guy who is already small for the welterweight division and rarely even weighs up to the full limit needs to jump up two weight classes and fight a good-sized middleweight.

Sccit

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 09:18:23 AM »
they can easily meet in the middle at 150 or so