Author Topic: Tracks for Death Row Dr Dre Chronic 2  (Read 7514 times)

Okka

Re: Tracks for Death Row Dr Dre Chronic 2
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 01:01:07 PM »
There isn't a version with Dre though? I thought that was the word.

Nah, the song was supposed to be on Sam Sneed's album and there was even a video for it 'cause it was supposed to be a single. Dre produced the original version of that song though. Then there's the version that was released on the "Gridlock'd" soundtrack with J. Flexx featuring The Lady Of Rage. There's 3 different versions of the song.

Don Seer

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2017, 01:45:35 PM »
NBK was for Helter Skelter
course :)

thing is.. i think like with can't c me.. certain songs are shopped between artists, and whoever is flavour of the money, next outta the gate get the pick of the hot beats.. and with everything being thrown behind 2pac.. it made sense that the DPG version didnt make it onto dogg food which came out only a little bit before

Quadruple OG

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 10:49:08 AM »
Been There, Done That was most likely for Chronic 2 given it was a song recorded while on Death Row and when released, it had Suge Publishing on it.

Jay Wallace

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 04:33:25 PM »
Been There, Done That was most likely for Chronic 2 given it was a song recorded while on Death Row and when released, it had Suge Publishing on it.
It was being worked on while at Death Row.  Dre was able to release it but Suge got the publishing rights.  Not sure if Dre was ever intending on releasing second Chronic.  Death Row might have just advertised it as that because Suge wanted that to be the direction.

jaytee

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 11:04:17 PM »
I really wonder about the true story behind "No Diggity." I know what the credits say, but the credits have not always told the tale with Riley records throughout his entire time in the music industry.  Sometimes that meant his input was being undersold (e.g. his early work in the 80's) and then there was the time where he and the label tried to pass off some fake vocals as Michael Jackson's on his 2010 album, Michael.  Teddy is a musical genius and I'm a huge fan, but sometimes his stories don't add up to me.

I'm aware that it was more than likely a legal issue with Dre and Death Row, and the did what they had to do to keep it. 

Jay Wallace

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2017, 02:06:17 AM »
By all accounts, Dre had the beat for "No Diggity" and sold it to Teddy Riley. Riley likely produced the finished version that appeared on the album.

Don Seer

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2017, 04:20:38 AM »
according to wiki though, riley was shopping the beat around beforehand and other RnB artists didn't want it

dre appeared via aftermath, not DR, so... a nice little earner for him?

love33

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2017, 11:18:05 PM »
Was "Toss It Up" beat handed over to Suge by Dre when he went to his house to go retrieve the Masters when Dre opted out of Death Row ?? They just tweaked it and put 'Demetrius Meech Shipp' name on it as the main producer was the rumor!

Okka

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2017, 08:57:47 AM »
Was "Toss It Up" beat handed over to Suge by Dre when he went to his house to go retrieve the Masters when Dre opted out of Death Row ?? They just tweaked it and put 'Demetrius Meech Shipp' name on it as the main producer was the rumor!

Nah, here's an interview with Tommy D talkin' about it. Thank to jmix for this.

Don Seer

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2017, 08:56:30 AM »

I still don't believe this was done by Dre, and check this...

DX: No disrespect to you, but that “Toss It Up” remix that ended up on the Makaveli album was a hot mess. [Laughs]
Danny Boy: Yeah, it’s a hot mess because of people that ain’t had nothing to do with the projects started doing projects. So I agree witchu, a 100%.

DX: The way I understood it…I guess ‘Pac either was given that beat originally by Dr. Dre – the beat that became Blackstreet’s “No Diggity”…
Danny Boy: Nah, that was really a diss song [aimed at Dr. Dre]. They heard [“No Diggity” featuring Dre], and the next thing you know we was in the studio cutting it. We took the [Blackstreet] track. They wasn’t given nothing [by Dr. Dre]… We sang “Toss It Up” [over] the same “No Diggity” track, and [Blackstreet] did a cease and desist letter to us and stated that we couldn’t [release] it. So, that’s how the remix – the [version] that everybody had an opportunity to hear, that’s [why] the beat changed.

Okka

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2017, 10:11:24 AM »
Hopefully jmix can get in contact with Aaron Hall and ask him about this.

Sccit

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2017, 01:15:00 PM »

he said he doin an aaron hall interview next in my no diggity thread

Okka

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2017, 01:51:16 PM »

he said he doin an aaron hall interview next in my no diggity thread

Yeah, i saw that. Hopefully it will happen.

Don Seer

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2017, 02:07:39 AM »

http://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/teddy-riley-blackstreet-members-didn%E2%80%99t-no-diggity

Teddy Riley: Blackstreet members didn’t like 'No Diggity'
Founder of 1990s R&B group says fellow bandmates originally didn’t like smash hit single
Written by Davina Hamilton
12/02/2014 05:27 PM

AMERICAN PRODUCER Teddy Riley says his fellow Blackstreet members didn’t like the song that eventually went on to earn them their greatest chart success.

No Diggity, released in 1996, reached the number one spot on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and catapulted the US R&B quartet to international prominence.

But according to Riley, who produced the smash hit, his band members Chauncey ‘Black’ Hannibal, Eric Williams and Mark Middleton weren’t keen on the song at all.

“Nobody liked that song at first – that’s the reason I sang the first verse,” Riley told The Voice.

“The only person who took the stand with me was Eric, who sang the second verse.

“The only reason Black [Hannibal] participated was because he didn’t wanna be left out of the song,” continued the producer, who now performs with new vocalists as part of the group BS2.

“Mark took the end of the song because that’s what he always did – he was always the finisher. But really, none of them were feeling the record and they didn’t think it would be a single.”

VETERAN: Teddy Riley

Featuring guest verses from Dr. Dre and Queen Pen, No Diggity saw Riley performing his opening verse without the use of a vocoder – the voice-altering machine, which became a staple of his productions throughout the ‘90s.

Asked about his frequent use of the technique, he paid homage to those who had pioneered the sound before him.

“I guess I’m one of the pioneers, but I always give it up to [Zapp frontman] Roger Troutman. He passed the torch to me. I also give it up to [British rock artist] Peter Frampton and [US musician] Herbie Hancock and [French electronic duo] Daft Punk – those guys are the real pioneers.

He adds: “I hope I did a good job of taking it to the next level.”

Okka

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2017, 02:58:51 AM »
I'm not sure why you posted that, Seer? We all know that Teddy Riley got the credit for producing the song.