Author Topic: Pacquiao vs. Khan - reportedly set for April 23rd  (Read 1122 times)

DeeezNuuuts83

Re: Pacquiao vs. Khan - reportedly set for April 23rd
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 10:42:59 AM »
they can easily meet in the middle at 150 or so
Why do you want to see that fight so bad? I'd rather see Floyd-GGG.

Plus Manny said before, he doesn't want to go north of 147 again, and I don't blame him. He's small within the welterweight division. The most he's ever weighed was 150, and that was on fight night, since he has a relatively small frame and can't just pack on more weight the way the taller guys can. Remember the one time he went up? Yes, there was a catchweight of 150, but he weighed in at 144.75 (not even at the welterweight limit) then 148 on fight night, compared to Margarito coming in right at 150 then 165 on fight night... HUGE difference. Yes, Manny beat him up pretty good (it helps that Margarito is a walking target with less of a defense than Manny), but it doesn't mean that Manny didn't take any punishment. And that weight discrepancy (on fight night) would be even greater against a true middleweight like Golovkin.

Let Floyd go up in weight, if you're fine with GGG going down to 150.

But speaking of which, seeing how Cotto-Martinez turned out, I do wish that Manny had taken up Martinez on his offer to come down to 150. But again, he's just such a larger opponent that it seemed way more dangerous than it was worth.

Sccit

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 11:10:14 AM »
they can easily meet in the middle at 150 or so
Why do you want to see that fight so bad? I'd rather see Floyd-GGG.

Plus Manny said before, he doesn't want to go north of 147 again, and I don't blame him. He's small within the welterweight division. The most he's ever weighed was 150, and that was on fight night, since he has a relatively small frame and can't just pack on more weight the way the taller guys can. Remember the one time he went up? Yes, there was a catchweight of 150, but he weighed in at 144.75 (not even at the welterweight limit) then 148 on fight night, compared to Margarito coming in right at 150 then 165 on fight night... HUGE difference. Yes, Manny beat him up pretty good (it helps that Margarito is a walking target with less of a defense than Manny), but it doesn't mean that Manny didn't take any punishment. And that weight discrepancy (on fight night) would be even greater against a true middleweight like Golovkin.

Let Floyd go up in weight, if you're fine with GGG going down to 150.

But speaking of which, seeing how Cotto-Martinez turned out, I do wish that Manny had taken up Martinez on his offer to come down to 150. But again, he's just such a larger opponent that it seemed way more dangerous than it was worth.

it would be a better fight than manny vs khan

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 05:10:27 PM »
We're probably more likely to see a knockout maybe, but it's also a much more one-sided affair. GGG is an undefeated middleweight with a crazy KO percentage.  What is the point in throwing Manny in the ring with him?

Realistically it's hard for promoters to always put together the absolute best fight possible.  Can't expect every fight to be some crazy blockbuster.  Not that we should put up with some BS like Pac-Horn.  I might skip that one.

Sccit

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 05:28:51 PM »
We're probably more likely to see a knockout maybe, but it's also a much more one-sided affair. GGG is an undefeated middleweight with a crazy KO percentage.  What is the point in throwing Manny in the ring with him?

Realistically it's hard for promoters to always put together the absolute best fight possible.  Can't expect every fight to be some crazy blockbuster.  Not that we should put up with some BS like Pac-Horn.  I might skip that one.

pac would be the best opponent ggg faced to date

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 10:57:32 PM »
pac would be the best opponent ggg faced to date
That would be the case for 95% of the active boxers if they fought Manny too.  Or if he instead fought Floyd or Thurman.

Don't get me wrong, it would be bad ass if he did it anyway, but fighting someone from two weight classes above you is a big jump.  Look at Kell Brook, he jumped up from welterweight and got beat up by GGG.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 02:29:58 PM »
Thurman said he won't duck the winner Spence or Brook...if they want that action.

Keith is a monster.