Author Topic: WHATS THE STORY BEHIND TOSS IT UP OG AND NO DIGGITY USING THE SAME BEAT?  (Read 3273 times)

dj coma

At the very least I bet that Teddy was inspired to to use the Debarge sample after hearing I Ain't Mad At Cha.

"inspired" makes it sound friendly lol

That's what I meant. At the very least he heard I Ain't Mad At Cha and decided he wanted to flip it for the Blackstreet album, not on some revenge shit. I Ain't Mad At Cha wasn't a single until right before Pac died so he might not have thought it would be a big deal to use the same sample.

Your Teddy Riley apologist tone is quite strange.

Consider Riley took that beat when offered it by Dre even though he knew Pac had spit on it before and if he didn't he certainly did once the Toss It Up promo vinyl dropped one month before Makaveli. It's also quite strange how you can't appear to put together the pieces of how he'd Jack Pacs beat in return for him doing the same.

Simple question:

What age were you in 96?

Sccit

At the very least I bet that Teddy was inspired to to use the Debarge sample after hearing I Ain't Mad At Cha.

"inspired" makes it sound friendly lol

That's what I meant. At the very least he heard I Ain't Mad At Cha and decided he wanted to flip it for the Blackstreet album, not on some revenge shit. I Ain't Mad At Cha wasn't a single until right before Pac died so he might not have thought it would be a big deal to use the same sample.

i think it's either done wit intent or by coincidence .. i highly doubt there's an in between here.

dj coma

Your Teddy Riley apologist tone is quite strange.

Consider Riley took that beat when offered it by Dre even though he knew Pac had spit on it before and if he didn't he certainly did once the Toss It Up promo vinyl dropped one month before Makaveli. It's also quite strange how you can't appear to put together the pieces of how he'd Jack Pacs beat in return for him doing the same.

Simple question:

What age were you in 96?

You misunderstood what I said, I'm not being an apologist at all. I said "at the very least," as in we can at least concede that without knowing more. I was definitely not ruling out him doing something nefarious by using the same Debarge sample. The narrow window Teddy had to use the same sample as get back is why I am not convinced one way or the other on it, without going off more than what somebody said on dubcc. But like I said before, your theory is very plausible even with the narrow window.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 02:34:39 PM by dj coma »

Sccit

the good thing is that the great jmix is guna clear it all up for us .. what would dubcc do witout him? a shame rud hasn't got at him yet to make him dubcnn's exclusive interviewer .. whatever happened to shima btw?

www.ClintDogg.com

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Kokane & Clint Dogg - International Gangxtas
A lot of songs were re-sampled & remade with the same beats or tweaking them a bit in the mid 90s. It was common knowledge. Nothing different here no theories or conspiracies.

No Diggity, NO DOUBT!.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7a4OUxIdVh4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7a4OUxIdVh4</a> <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cHR2KmQgruQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cHR2KmQgruQ</a> <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xKTGgMpff_I" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xKTGgMpff_I</a>
All my songs with Kokane, Ms. Toi, Mac Shawn100, Top Dogg etc on iTunes. & Amazon.
Kokane & Clint Dogg - International Gangxtas, coming soon!...

BenFranco

Me and Sccit were talking about the whole situation with those songs and he send a link for this hread. We were talking about toss it up because I’m recording over the beat and I’m using the OG lol
Any way
I think the reason nobody sued was both pac and black street were sighed to interscope. I still think if pac was alive he was going after them and he kinda say that on the actual song like you were not quick enough to release it

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Me and Sccit were talking about the whole situation with those songs and he send a link for this hread. We were talking about toss it up because I’m recording over the beat and I’m using the OG lol
Any way
I think the reason nobody sued was both pac and black street were sighed to interscope. I still think if pac was alive he was going after them and he kinda say that on the actual song like you were not quick enough to release it

The whole story has been told.  Teddy explains really well in a recent Vlad interview.  I was old enough but unfortunately I was living in Kansas City at the time.  But did you know if you had been living in LA in early August 1996 you would've actually been driving down the freeway one day and suddenly "Toss It Up" No Diggity version comes on radio before ever hearing or knowing of the Teddy Riley version!!! 

So Teddy and Blackstreet were getting ready to release their monster single featuring when Suge and Pac did one of the most epic boss moves in rap history and beat Dre and Teddy to the punch and had Pac on radio with the banger before Teddy's could drop!!!

that's some epic shit right there.  So anyway, Teddy tells the story, that Jimmy then contacted Suge and made Suge stop that shit immediately.  Later that month in August "No Diggity" came out Teddy's version and if you were living in KC like I was at the time none of us even knew all that shit went down until way later, the Teddy version as the first version we heard in Midwest.  And that track was such a banger I still remember where I was at the time I first heard it!!
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

so did jmix ever get aaron hall’s account?

:hmmm:

heyyou

I recall (my memory may not be 100% correct), that I think Jimmy Iovine or someone from Interscope were having a meeting with Suge (and I think some artists/producers were present) and I think they had the No Diggity track on a sampler trying and played it to Suge to get his opinion.
After Jimmy left, Suge told the producers who were present and heard the track to reproduce it/jack it from as best they could from their memory.
2Pac made the original version, it got back to Jimmy/Interscope and put a block on the original version then 2Pac/Death Row were forced to remix it (the released version).

Blackstreet's Another Level album (which contains No Diggity) was released on Interscope, so this would make sense.

I can't remember which interview I heard this from but i'm sure it was one of Art's interviews from one of the Makaveli producers.

EDIT:

I found this J-Felxx interview (go to 6min):

This is of interest:

I'm still trying to find the makaveli producer talking about hearing No Diggity and ripping it off for Toss it up
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 01:58:44 AM by heyyou »

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
^^^ Yeah man it's in those Teddy Riley interviews with VLAD that the story is told in full.

...Like I said, what a boss move to do by Suge and 2pac at the time.  They were on that epic summer run where they were getting the best of all their enemies.  Fuccin Puffy's wife, fucking Biggie's wife.  Going out bowling with them...

...Well now, Dre leaves Death Row.  And this was all set to be Dre's first big banger and post-Death Row hit.  "Nas is Coming" was some weak ass shit.  And Guess what?   Pac had some fucking heat for Nas ass as well because "Me And My Girlfriend" was about to one-up Nas' "I Gave You Power"--and then on top of that he beats Dre to the punch and bangs out "Toss It Up" is bangin' on LA Radio before Dre's "No Diggity" can get released--undermining Dre's efforts!!

These mutherfuckaz was playin chess not checkers!!!

....(of course, in the long run--Dre gets over on Suge after Suge goes to prison, Eminem blowing up, 2001, Up In Smoke Tour, 50 Cent, Straight Outta Compton movie, etc....)
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Corleone Diamonds

I recall (my memory may not be 100% correct), that I think Jimmy Iovine or someone from Interscope were having a meeting with Suge (and I think some artists/producers were present) and I think they had the No Diggity track on a sampler trying and played it to Suge to get his opinion.
After Jimmy left, Suge told the producers who were present and heard the track to reproduce it/jack it from as best they could from their memory.
2Pac made the original version, it got back to Jimmy/Interscope and put a block on the original version then 2Pac/Death Row were forced to remix it (the released version).

Blackstreet's Another Level album (which contains No Diggity) was released on Interscope, so this would make sense.

I can't remember which interview I heard this from but i'm sure it was one of Art's interviews from one of the Makaveli producers.

EDIT:

This is of interest:

I'm still trying to find the makaveli producer talking about hearing No Diggity and ripping it off for Toss it up

DeVante wasn't even involved in that song

The following users thanked this post: Matty

Sccit

EDIT:

This is of interest:

lol no way that was reproduced based off memory

heyyou

I can' see why it couldn't be remade from memory, the No Diggity beat is really basic - the beat is the first few seconds of Bill Wither's 'Grandma's Hands' and looped.

I found Danny Boy saying this (check from 43min:40sec), where he briefly speaks on it:

I'm still trying to find the interview where the guy says that the heard the No Diggit and tried to remake it from memory

Sccit

I can' see why it couldn't be remade from memory, the No Diggity beat is really basic - the beat is the first few seconds of Bill Wither's 'Grandma's Hands' and looped.

I found Danny Boy saying this (check from 43min:40sec), where he briefly speaks on it:

I'm still trying to find the interview where the guy says that the heard the No Diggit and tried to remake it from memory

yea but to get it exact like that from suge of all people hearin a snippet.. c’mon fam