Author Topic: WHATS THE STORY BEHIND TOSS IT UP OG AND NO DIGGITY USING THE SAME BEAT?  (Read 3275 times)

Sccit

What tracks did Dre ghost produce?

most of dogg food, for starters

Thanks for kicking those capitals to kerb, now heres the scoop as I see it.

Dre made that beat on DR and it was to be used for an R&B project, possibly Danny Boys album and originally had one Pac verse over a skeleton work in progress version of the beat. Now bear in mind that Dre had a home studio and from when Pac got onto the Row Dre did most of his work there so he had a more finished version of the song with him when he left DR, he handed it over to Teddy Riley to finish the track which was a clever move as it keeps his name out there and gets him publishing points from his appearance whilst being able to give him a ghosted beat that legally was owned by DR anyway so he couldn't put it out there with his name attached.

Getting Riley was a slick move anyway as he knew the original featured Aaron Hall (who had fell out with Riley over issues with Guy) and that with the right polish it would be a hit, Teddy jumped on it and finished up the track which Dre mixed down (listen to it and you can hear a Dre mix a mile off compared to the rest of the album).

Pac got wind of this, pulled the track they had out of the archives, stuck that totally random Dre dissing 2nd verse on it, shot a video and put it on Makaveli just to jab at Dre which they all got wind of so in a bitch fit of revenge Dre then told Teddy about the DeBarge sample Pac was going to use for the I Aint Mad At Cha video and had him reflip it to jack Pacs concept, the end.

I'm not bothered about what that Billboard article says as Teddy is a known liar and the above fits the timeline, the people, their temperaments/style, Pacs verses and everything else.

Dre always needed someone else to stand beside him, Pac moved quick, Aaron hated Teddy, Teddy has no morales.

Sccit

Dre made that beat on DR and it was to be used for an R&B project, possibly Danny Boys album and originally had one Pac verse over a skeleton work in progress version of the beat. Now bear in mind that Dre had a home studio and from when Pac got onto the Row Dre did most of his work there so he had a more finished version of the song with him when he left DR, he handed it over to Teddy Riley to finish the track which was a clever move as it keeps his name out there and gets him publishing points from his appearance whilst being able to give him a ghosted beat that legally was owned by DR anyway so he couldn't put it out there with his name attached.

Getting Riley was a slick move anyway as he knew the original featured Aaron Hall (who had fell out with Riley over issues with Guy) and that with the right polish it would be a hit, Teddy jumped on it and finished up the track which Dre mixed down (listen to it and you can hear a Dre mix a mile off compared to the rest of the album).

Pac got wind of this, pulled the track they had out of the archives, stuck that totally random Dre dissing 2nd verse on it, shot a video and put it on Makaveli just to jab at Dre which they all got wind of so in a bitch fit of revenge Dre then told Teddy about the DeBarge sample Pac was going to use for the I Aint Mad At Cha video and had him reflip it to jack Pacs concept, the end.

I'm not bothered about what that Billboard article says as Teddy is a known liar and the above fits the timeline, the people, their temperaments/style, Pacs verses and everything else.

Dre always needed someone else to stand beside him, Pac moved quick, Aaron hated Teddy, Teddy has no morales.

GOOD POINT ABOUT BLACKSTREET GETTIN PAC BACK WIT "DONT LEAVE ME", I DIDNT EVEN THINK OF THAT

THAT WAS MY JOINT

Sccit

YES .. WE SAW THAT IT UPSETS U THE FIRST TIME. PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC.

dj coma

Your theory sounds plausible except for Pac was definitely not on the OG. It was an Aaron Hall song and Pac jumped on it later. The rest of what you said fits though.

bouli77

sounds unlikely, Teddy Riley didn't need Dre to know about I Ain't Mad At Cha since AEOM was released in February 96 and by the time Pac had shot the video for it (May 96), Dre was no longer on Death Row.
Also, to say that they jacked Pac's concept is a stretch. They merely interpolated the same song. What concept exactly ? They didn't flip the beat the same way, the theme of the song is different. And the single was released after Pac had died in 97. Your theory would have somehow kinda made sense had Blackstreet blindsided Pac and recorded and released Don't Leave Me before Pac released I Ain't Mad At Cha but that's clearly not the case.

That's like saying Lil Kim jacked Tha Dogg Pound's concept for Crush On You.

Sccit

sounds unlikely, Teddy Riley didn't need Dre to know about I Ain't Mad At Cha since AEOM was released in February 96 and by the time Pac had shot the video for it (May 96), Dre was no longer on Death Row.
Also, to say that they jacked Pac's concept is a stretch. They merely interpolated the same song. What concept exactly ? They didn't flip the beat the same way, the theme of the song is different. And the single was released after Pac had died in 97. Your theory would have somehow kinda made sense had Blackstreet blindsided Pac and recorded and released Don't Leave Me before Pac released I Ain't Mad At Cha but that's clearly not the case.

U GOTA ADMIT THAT IT WOULD BE A PRETTY STRANGE COINCIDENCE THAT PAC JACKED BLACKSTREET'S JOINT, AND THEN SOMEHOW, BLACKSTREET IS USIN THE SAME SAMPLE AS A PAC SINGLE JUST A COUPLE MONTHS LATER........I WOULDNT BE SURPRISED IF WHAT EYEBALL IS SAYIN WAS TRUE. HOW MANY OTHER SONGS USED THAT SAMPLE WIT THE BEAT BEIN ALMOST IDENTICAL? AND IN THE SAME YEAR TOO?? AFTER THEY JUS GOT JACKED BY THAT SAME GUY??? CHANCES WOULD BE LOW.

dj coma

U GOTA ADMIT THAT IT WOULD BE A PRETTY STRANGE COINCIDENCE THAT PAC JACKED BLACKSTREET'S JOINT, AND THEN SOMEHOW, BLACKSTREET IS USIN THE SAME SAMPLE AS A PAC SINGLE JUST A COUPLE MONTHS LATER........I WOULDNT BE SURPRISED IF WHAT EYEBALL IS SAYIN WAS TRUE. HOW MANY OTHER SONGS USED THAT SAMPLE WIT THE BEAT BEIN ALMOST IDENTICAL? AND IN THE SAME YEAR TOO?? AFTER THEY JUS GOT JACKED BY THAT SAME GUY??? CHANCES WOULD BE LOW.

Another Level was released Sept. 9th, 1996. Toss It Up was finished early August so that's the earliest Teddy would have known about their beat being jacked. When you take mixing, mastering, and pressing into account that's a pretty tight timeline for Blackstreet to slip in a "revenge" beat jacking. It is a strange/interesting coincidence though.

Sccit

Another Level was released Sept. 9th, 1996. Toss It Up was finished early August so that's the earliest Teddy would have known about their beat being jacked. When you take mixing, mastering, and pressing into account that's a pretty tight timeline for Blackstreet to slip in a "revenge" beat jacking. It is a strange/interesting coincidence though.

but think how quick pac had to make toss it up tho....thats my take. how did pac even know about "no diggity", that song was literally released 2 days after he got shot. so from what I gathered, both parties had some inside information, probably from aaron hall, since he was in contact with both sides. cats have mixed and mastered an entire album in weeks, so 1 song is not inconceivable.. especially when u got that kinda passion behind it that comes from tryna get some getback. it fuels the motor.

bouli77

Nobody jacked anybody. Daz & Soopafly produced I Ain't Mad At Cha, the song came out in February 96. Blackstreet released their albums in September 96 with a song using the same original song. That's a 7 month lapse. Maybe Teddy Riley chose to make a song based on Debarge's A Dream based on Pac's song (that's a hypothetical, and even if he did, it wouldn't be considered jacking), but he sure as hell didn't need Dre to do so since the album was already commercially available.

dnjp4life

In a similar vein, I always found it odd that Dre allowed Blu Cantrelle (who wasn't well known at all) to wholesale take the beat to 'What's The Difference' and use it for her single 'Breathe'.  Now I know that Dre's track itself uses a sample, but it's still surprising that it was allowed so soon after Chronic 2001 came out.  Anyone know the deal with that?

dj coma

but think how quick pac had to make toss it up tho....thats my take. how did pac even know about "no diggity", that song was literally released 2 days after he got shot. so from what I gathered, both parties had some inside information, probably from aaron hall, since he was in contact with both sides. cats have mixed and mastered an entire album in weeks, so 1 song is not inconceivable.. especially when u got that kinda passion behind it that comes from tryna get some getback. it fuels the motor.

I wasn't saying it was impossible, I'm just saying that's a tight timeline for it to happen. We need Aaron Hall to clear it all up for us, but after seeing his interviews with Vlad I bet he would just make it more confusing for us. Dude definitely did some serious drugs in his day.

dj coma

In a similar vein, I always found it odd that Dre allowed Blu Cantrelle (who wasn't well known at all) to wholesale take the beat to 'What's The Difference' and use it for her single 'Breathe'.  Now I know that Dre's track itself uses a sample, but it's still surprising that it was allowed so soon after Chronic 2001 came out.  Anyone know the deal with that?

Why would they need Dre's clearance to use the sample? And there was a 4 year gap between the songs.

bouli77

That's a different situation.

Blu Cantrelle straight up used the same beat for What's the Difference. She recorded her song using Dre's instrumental, like a remix. kinda like how Cam'ron's My Life uses Ambitionz Az A Ridah.

I Ain't Mad at Cha and AEOM are two different beats which interpolate the same song. the songs sound very different. just the single version and the album version are pretty different from one another.