Author Topic: Tuxedo - Tuxedo II (New LP Dropped)  (Read 1621 times)

Matty

Tuxedo - Tuxedo II (New LP Dropped)
« on: March 23, 2017, 06:20:30 PM »
8) and thankfully the tracks dropped so far aren't the best ones 8)

1. Fux With The Tux
2. 2nd Time Around
3. Take A Picture
4. Rotational
5. Shine
6. Scooter's Groove
7. U Like It
8.Back In Town
9. Special
10. Living' 4 Your Lovin'
11. July

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Tuxedo - Tuxedo II (New LP Dropped)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 07:30:14 PM »
Just as good as the first if not a little better.  Agree?
"Now you're facing me, I'm your ultimate challenger.  It's the avenger, your fate is on my calendar"-Guru from "So What's Up"

Matty

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 08:09:36 PM »
Just as good as the first if not a little better.  Agree?

still not amazing or fully living up to the potential, but more consistent definitely. the songs have more of a cohesiveness this time. 'rotational' 8)

'back in town' with the off the wall vibes 8) 'take a picture' and the groove track are really good too 8)

bouli77

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 05:48:13 AM »
fell asleep listening to it, one song had a Ray Parker Jr "for those who like to groove" kinda vibe. will listen again later today but from what' I've heard I think their sound, although still pleasant, does get a little saturated and caricatural at times.

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 07:10:50 AM »
this is more uptempo than the first album for sure.  only one slow jam. 1980s wedding vibe.
"Now you're facing me, I'm your ultimate challenger.  It's the avenger, your fate is on my calendar"-Guru from "So What's Up"

Marco

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 04:00:03 PM »
I need to check this out, the first Tuxedo's album was really good. 8)
West Coast Connection // www.dubcnn.com/connect // West Coast Connection

Matty

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 03:22:29 PM »
was going to wait for the lossless before making this comment, but now i have it - there's a significant drop in the quality of the mixing/mastering between the first album and this one. it sounds like shit in comparison, a shame cause the songs are quite a bit better overall.

Funkstradamus

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 08:21:41 PM »
this album is banging from start to finish.... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

bouli77

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 03:04:17 AM »
Solid project, missing that one banger ala Do It or The Right Time but I enjoyed the album from start to finish with no exception.

Perfect timing too, great album for spring / summer.

I haven't noticed any problem with the mixing but then again I've had tinnitus for two decades so it's an understatement to say I don't have the best ear lol.

Fux the Tux : classic Tuxedo sound, 4/5
2nd Time Around : really like the uptempo beat, cool little rhythmic guitars at the end, dope trumpet throughout 4/5
Take A Picture : the closest I think they have to a single. I love how they flipped ConFunkShun's If You're In Need of Love's guitars. The vocals' melody reminds me of Kool & The Gang's Be My Lady. corny lyrics and concept though lol 4.75/5
Rotational : midtempo ballad, does sound a little like Central Line - Walking Into Sunshine if you ask me. once again the production is very lush. 3.5/5
Shine : midtempo ballad again, the way it starts is reminiscent of Patrice Rushen's Where There Is Love with a Tuxedo twist. nice back & song with the girl. 3.5/5
Scooter's Groove : short but funky, the whiny synth solo sounds like some vintage Ray parker Jr groove. 4/5
U Like It : 3.5/5
Back in Town : not a huge fan of the singing on this one, dope instrumental as usual though and background vocals, nice bridge. 4/5
Special : the way the guitar starts is very Ain't No Fun-ish, + the recurring G-Funk synth in the background make the song. not very fond of the singing (it's hit or miss with MH), efficient song nonetheless. 3.75/5
Livin' 4 Your Lovin' : uptempo jam, disco-esque piano, dope rhythmic guitar, love the hook, one of the highlights of the album. 4.5/5
July : mid tempo, heavy, moogish lead synth, one of my favorite songs as well 4.5/5

I'd have to listen to both albums back to back to determine which I prefer but I'd say it's up there with the first album if not better.

which leads me to a question. which are your favorite Tuxedo songs ? I know there's been a similar question not too long ago but with the release of this album, the question needs to be asked again.

Ironically, my favorite tuxedo jams (Do It & The Right Time excluded) are not on the albums :

Henny & Gingerale
Designer Drug
Love Like That (Tux Refux)

Matty

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 04:36:26 PM »
great impressions bouli, i agree there is no standout track as good as 'do it' or 'the right time'. i can imagine nate dogg singing on 'rotational'.

all the funky peeps look out for the new jamiroquai this week, i'm sure it's gonna be real good.

Funkstradamus

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 10:51:34 PM »
Solid project, missing that one banger ala Do It or The Right Time but I enjoyed the album from start to finish with no exception.

Perfect timing too, great album for spring / summer.

I haven't noticed any problem with the mixing but then again I've had tinnitus for two decades so it's an understatement to say I don't have the best ear lol.

Fux the Tux : classic Tuxedo sound, 4/5
2nd Time Around : really like the uptempo beat, cool little rhythmic guitars at the end, dope trumpet throughout 4/5
Take A Picture : the closest I think they have to a single. I love how they flipped ConFunkShun's If You're In Need of Love's guitars. The vocals' melody reminds me of Kool & The Gang's Be My Lady. corny lyrics and concept though lol 4.75/5
Rotational : midtempo ballad, does sound a little like Central Line - Walking Into Sunshine if you ask me. once again the production is very lush. 3.5/5
Shine : midtempo ballad again, the way it starts is reminiscent of Patrice Rushen's Where There Is Love with a Tuxedo twist. nice back & song with the girl. 3.5/5
Scooter's Groove : short but funky, the whiny synth solo sounds like some vintage Ray parker Jr groove. 4/5
U Like It : 3.5/5
Back in Town : not a huge fan of the singing on this one, dope instrumental as usual though and background vocals, nice bridge. 4/5
Special : the way the guitar starts is very Ain't No Fun-ish, + the recurring G-Funk synth in the background make the song. not very fond of the singing (it's hit or miss with MH), efficient song nonetheless. 3.75/5
Livin' 4 Your Lovin' : uptempo jam, disco-esque piano, dope rhythmic guitar, love the hook, one of the highlights of the album. 4.5/5
July : mid tempo, heavy, moogish lead synth, one of my favorite songs as well 4.5/5

I'd have to listen to both albums back to back to determine which I prefer but I'd say it's up there with the first album if not better.

which leads me to a question. which are your favorite Tuxedo songs ? I know there's been a similar question not too long ago but with the release of this album, the question needs to be asked again.

Ironically, my favorite tuxedo jams (Do It & The Right Time excluded) are not on the albums :

Henny & Gingerale
Designer Drug

this is a dope review.  i would have rated Special and U Like It much higher though : 4.5/5 for both of those...too much funk to be rated so low, but thats just me.

DJSpin

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 05:58:24 PM »
Mayer Hawthorne has a bunch of songs not available on hard copy media.

Mayer Hawthorne - every body wants to rule the world

Party Of One Ep - someone like you, new love, time for love
Busy p - Genie-feat-Mayer-Hawthorne
Paper Proclamation -Suff Daddy feat. Mayer Hawthorne
Love-Like-That-Tux-Refux
Dont-Know why - Krak and snake feat-Mayer-Hawthorne
Henny & Gingerale
Designer Drug
Designer drug
Henny and ginger ale
Tuxedo -without your love
I think there was a tuxedo ep too.

Are there more songs that are good to track down?   It may be a tall task, but does anyone have all these that they could rip and upload for sharing?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 06:01:59 PM by DJSpin »

sofdark

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 11:38:24 AM »
I went to their show at Regent downtown LA and it was crazy. The energy was incredible.

Young Old Head

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 01:02:06 PM »

Henny & Gingerale
Designer Drug

that's cause they both bonus cuts from mayer's solo albums (how do you do & where does this door go) ;)

Cash Money Blood Gang

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 03:23:53 PM »
I went to their show at Regent downtown LA and it was crazy. The energy was incredible.

I'm going to their show May 19th in Seattle.  I've been to a Mayer show.  It's a great time.