Author Topic: The Defiant Ones (Dr Dre and Jimmy HBO 4 Part Documentary, direct: Allen Hughes)  (Read 9831 times)

ILoveQSeven

Dr. Dre - Gunfiyah

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ggRsy1Aeq8U" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ggRsy1Aeq8U</a>

me1

Couple stand out moments for me:

Suge/Dionne Warwick story (episode 3)

Cube's spot on but totally foul impersonation of DOC from that old Pump It Up episode

The fact detox is NEVER coming out but I bet a lot of money there will be more artists Dre produces that blow to the scale Fif, Em, Snoop, Kendrick have. Man's commitment is wild

The nature of DOC/Dre relationship. That DOC filled that little brother void left by Tyree after his passing
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:07:14 AM by manny1 »

gio™fugahoo

Thanxxx @ The Predator 👍👍👍

I just took four hours off to watch all four episodes  and it didn't feel like four hours that's when you know it's good I'm entertained
was really nice to watch

Dogg Ly Dogg

I didnt have the time to watch all 4 episodes but first one was coo but Jimmy Iovines part was way better imo because I've learn a lot about him and we all know Dre's story at this point

Blood$

I peeped the first part last night and thought it was dope, looking forward to watching the rest this week

The Predator

The Defiant Ones

Review

July 7, 2017

If you sent only the music of Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre into outer space, alien cultures would still have a pretty good picture of the American industry over the last four decades. Premiering this Sunday on HBO, and then airing over the next three nights, “The Defiant Ones” covers the arc of both men, devoting the first two episodes (of four) to their careers before they met and the second two to how music changed when they united their formidable talents. The documentary, directed and co-written by Allen Hughes, has elements of fan service—negative aspects of either gentleman’s personal or professional lives often feel rushed—but it makes the case that this pair deserves carving on the Mt. Rushmore of the music industry. And while the documentary falls into the trap of a talking-head structure, these are some damn impressive heads. Basically, everyone that Iovine and Dre have worked with over the years appears to discuss their legacy and importance to the industry. Pay attention, Earthlings.

Hughes was not only granted access to Iovine and Dre over a three-year period, he assembled a Hall of Fame list of interview subjects to discuss working with the men. The result is a project that feels like it has weight instead of merely a fan letter to a couple legends. Rock icons like Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Bono, Patti Smith and Stevie Nicks discuss their collaborations with Iovine; rap masters like Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, Eminem and Kendrick Lamar pay homage to Dre. And all of them have interesting stories to tell. In a sense, “The Defiant Ones” is a four-hour Hall of Fame presentation, making clear how much Iovine and Dre have not just been a part of the industry but shaped it and changed it forever.

Personally, I love anecdotes that illustrate the ripple effect of creativity. How does “Born to Run” lead to “Because the Night,” which leads to “Refugee”? How did “Rico Suave” change the music industry? Did a paintball gun really inspire “Fuck the Police”? How did the rap industry survive the death of Tupac? What happened after streaming music became the norm? Stories about the first time that Dre heard Snoop Dogg or his first meeting with Eminem are simply the kind of thing I love hearing—there’s something about those seemingly fateful moments in music history that make for good television, especially for those of us old enough to have seen all of this take place.

There are times when the chronological format that jumps from Iovine to Dre even before they knew each other feels like it hampers the piece. In one case, the show jumps from the car accident that destroyed the voice of The D.O.C. of N.W.A. fame back to the relationship status between Iovine and Nicks and I almost got whiplash. And while the show doesn’t shy away from the dark chapters of their lives—in one of the most interesting, Dee Barnes discusses the assault on her by Dre, and he admits to considering it a blemish on who he is as a man—it always moves quickly back to success. In the fourth chapter, Iovine discusses how horses have to have blinders on so they don’t see the competition, suggesting that successful people need to do the same. “The Defiant Ones” follows this model as well, never even mentioning an act that Iovine or Dre didn’t work with, when it would have been nice to give the gentlemen some context within the bigger picture of the music industry. And the production can sometimes get a little overheated, never more so than in in a segment that parallels the controversies between Tupac Shakur and Marilyn Manson in a way that feels forced.

“The Defiant Ones” stumbles most in the final half-hour, which often feels like a commercial for Beats headphones, the latest mega-success for Iovine and Dre. Although, by that point, I didn’t really care because I had heard so many interesting stories over the previous three-and-a-half episodes. Most of all, I was allowed insight into two men who lived up to the adjective in the title of this show. Every time, Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre were told something wouldn’t work or they couldn’t do something, they defied traditional thinking about the music industry, and changed it forever. They’re not just producers. They’re not just businessmen. They didn’t just follow the current, they changed the flow of the stream. It's a reminder that our true visionaries don’t follow a template; they make a new one.

Brian Tallerico
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 05:13:46 PM by The Predator »

me1

forgot to mention that Dre's comments about Suge's incident on the SOC set were also a highlight for me. don't want to ruin that surprise.

super dope from beginning to end. must watch for anyone reading this.

Okka

I can't wait to check this out.

Don Seer

first two parts down, 3rd next :)

accidentally watched part 2, then part 1.. wasn't fatal.. lol

Blood$

Cube's spot on but totally foul impersonation of DOC from that old Pump It Up episode

yo when I saw that my job dropped lmao cold blooded

I figured he never dissed D.O.C. during that time period but I guess that was the one shot  :laugh:

Jay Wallace

The fact detox is NEVER coming out but I bet a lot of money there will be more artists Dre produces that blow to the scale Fif, Em, Snoop, Kendrick have. Man's commitment is wild

The nature of DOC/Dre relationship. That DOC filled that little brother void left by Tyree after his passing

Yeah, you picked some good ones.  Suge's last line about Dionne was priceless.  The thing that stood out to me was how well produced it all was.  There was so much footage I had never seen (Dre coaching Eazy in the booth was classic), the DOC story was so heartbreaking in how it was displayed, and I loved how they used alternate footage from music video dailies and how crisp it looked.  They had stuff from the California Love remix video that looked like it was shot yesterday.  And I wasn't sure how invested I would be in the Jimmy side of the story but they really pulled it off well.  An excellent documentary from start to finish.

I figured he never dissed D.O.C. during that time period but I guess that was the one shot  :laugh:

Yeah, what's crazy is they show that interview in Dre's "Behind the Music" but the narrator talks over it and the audio doesn't cut in until after that.  That was pretty cold of Cube to say but it was different times. 

geezy

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Dogg Pound Gangsta 4 Life (west coast love).
Just watched the 3rd episode, I'm impressed with it so far.

I wasn't expecting much because I know most of the story before but it was captured brilliantly and honest.

The D.O.C part stands out for me, from Dre narrating the story and describing the accident to how they brought D.O.C in to continue the story in his damaged voice .

After that it was the Dre/Snoop/DPG/Deathrow/Pac bit, learnt nothing new from that but Deathrow stories doesn't get boring.
Arsenal 4 Life!!!!!!!!!!

The Predator

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SR7qoRK6eHw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SR7qoRK6eHw</a>

me1

I was genuinely shocked by that. Bitch move with the benefit of hindsight but I guess to Cube's credit, he prob thought it was a temporary thing. Lots of folks at the time were saying with therapy and rehab maybe he could get his voice back.

Also forgot to mention that scene with Dre touching those Marvin Gaye vocals.... and the part in episode 4 where eminem says he has no idea why but at some point Dre found his music to not be good rough for release, no matter how good everyone else thought it was (including Em).

me1

Yeah, you picked some good ones.  Suge's last line about Dionne was priceless.  The thing that stood out to me was how well produced it all was.  There was so much footage I had never seen (Dre coaching Eazy in the booth was classic), the DOC story was so heartbreaking in how it was displayed, and I loved how they used alternate footage from music video dailies and how crisp it looked.  They had stuff from the California Love remix video that looked like it was shot yesterday.  And I wasn't sure how invested I would be in the Jimmy side of the story but they really pulled it off well.  An excellent documentary from start to finish.

Yeah, what's crazy is they show that interview in Dre's "Behind the Music" but the narrator talks over it and the audio doesn't cut in until after that.  That was pretty cold of Cube to say but it was different times.

The amount of unreleased footage is staggering. Hell even the acapellas they dug up are dope as hell.

That footage of Dre and Pac on the video set literally looks like it was shot yesterday. Super high resolution and quality