Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar - DAMN. [Discussion Thread]  (Read 13912 times)

Dogg Ly Dogg

Re: Kendrick Lamar - DAMN. [Discussion Thread]
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2017, 10:04:09 PM »
And he's about to push more units than More Life on his first week, he's expected to do 530/550k included 330k physical copies which would be huge if he tops Drake  :o

EDIT 1: Hitsdailydouble just announced 610k but usually those numbers aren't real even thought they're close

EDIT 2: Kendrick said he has more music to come, someone on Reddit found out he's credited on the upcoming Justice League soundtrack

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:03:06 PM by Dogg Ly Dogg »

Inferio07

« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2017, 12:15:25 PM »
Some wont agree with me but TPAB was much deeper than this album, in my opinion i think Kendrick dumbed himself down on this album, DAMN has a few bangers but TPAB I can play that album all the way through. I anticipated DAMN and was very disappointed, I'm not hatin, no shade, this album is very simple compared to his last one

The following users thanked this post: Sccit

Marco

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2017, 08:48:09 PM »
The official numbers are in 603,000 first week. DAMN. 8)
West Coast Connection // www.dubcnn.com/connect // West Coast Connection

Okka

« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2017, 09:40:10 AM »
I still haven't had the chance to check this out. I think i'll just cop this on friday when it hits the stores here.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2017, 10:12:53 AM »

353k in digital sales too...very impressive in this day and age

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 12:17:45 PM by HighEyeCue »

2Relevant

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2017, 01:26:07 PM »
the goat of this era what more can i say  8)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2017, 06:07:36 PM »

353k in digital sales too...very impressive in this day and age

Combined? That's insane. 8)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2017, 08:08:32 AM »
In what I think is the weakest of his albums, (but one of the best in 2017), Kendrick made himself accessible to mainstream fans and sold more than he ever had and sold more than Drake. I don't think he dumb himself down, but rather he made the music more accessible to people. I am in awe how many people have ranked this above To Pimp A Butterfly. Now maybe because I love G-Funk, and Hip-Hop/Jazz, and complex lyrics, but to me, TPAB is the most complete rap album I've heard since College Dropout, if not Illmatic. Like it's a top 5 all-time greatest albums to me. But seeing the massive response to DAMN., I realize that Kendrick made this album for the masses. He put a huge complex issue like God, and being introspective all while making music people will dance to. In in a way, it's almost what I had wished rappers would do a long time ago. Even hearing him speak, it feels like TPAB was his own personal masterpiece that he wanted to do for him, and DAMN. is what he wanted to do for everyone else.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2017, 06:36:57 PM »
I'm still in debates which is better. TPAB is beyond classic to me as well. Right now I have TPAB a more complete album from beginning to end in terms of a conscious, continuous masterpiece. But DAMN has more replay value songs. Like you gotta listen TPAB front to back to really appreciate some of the songs for what they are. Where I can just close my eyes, point & press play on DAMN songs & bob my head to some greatness; (like you pointed out) more relatable. But there's still a story being told on DAMN too. You're right, it's more mass-friendly, but I feel like you're selling it a little short lyrically & slapping this "sellout"-ish sticker on it. You referenced College Dropout, it's way less mainstream than that & you still rank College Dropout incredibly high (it seems like).

It's hard to rank DAMN, TPAB & GKMC; all have their own sound & style. Completely different albums, but all classic in their own ways.

Blood$

« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2017, 07:56:13 PM »
I think this one was more well rounded than TPAB, as much as I loved that album I didn't play it as much as GKMC because I couldn't pick and choose joints from that, had to let it play front to back if I was going to let it rock at all... I also had to be in the mood for it especially with some of the songs where he had all those effects on his vocals lol

to me this album is like a mash up of GKMC and TPAB and can be played in more settings which is why it's doing numbers right now appealing to an even bigger audience

it's real hard for me to rank his 3 major studio albums at the moment... it's gonna be months before I can call it and I've already bumped this in full about 4 times

Blood$

« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2017, 08:06:42 PM »
I'm still in debates which is better. TPAB is beyond classic to me as well. Right now I have TPAB a more complete album from beginning to end in terms of a conscious, continuous masterpiece. But DAMN has more replay value songs. Like you gotta listen TPAB front to back to really appreciate some of the songs for what they are. Where I can just close my eyes, point & press play on DAMN songs & bob my head to some greatness; (like you pointed out) more relatable. But there's still a story being told on DAMN too. You're right, it's more mass-friendly, but I feel like you're selling it a little short lyrically & slapping this "sellout"-ish sticker on it. You referenced College Dropout, it's way less mainstream than that & you still rank College Dropout incredibly high (it seems like).

It's hard to rank DAMN, TPAB & GKMC; all have their own sound & style. Completely different albums, but all classic in their own ways.

I didn't even read this before I posted and that's pretty much where I stand now

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2017, 08:37:21 AM »

I wouldn't say sell-out. Accessible is different than sell-out. Sell-out compromises both sound and lyrics all for sales, accessible still keeps the message all well keeping their lyrically integrity. If you read my stuff from a long time ago (more than likely not because it was almost 15 years ago) I really wanted artist to do this. I think that keeping lyrical integrity like K Dot did here, well putting them on more commercial beats should be what many lyricist do. So I'm all in favor of his direction. And yes, this has less commercial appeal than College Dropout, which I rank Dropout as a top 5 hip-hop album of this millennium.

I am just saying, I really love TPAB. To me, TPAB is a top 5 all time great album. It's a pure masterpiece. I have listened to it so much that I can pick songs out and put them in other playlist because I have grown attached to the songs. I might put it as a top 10 greatest in any genre album. It's that beyond classic to me. It made me rethink classic, which is why now, I hate the word classic. Because to put 60 to 100 other albums next to this album to me is blasphemy. I can write a whole 10 page paper on the genius of TPAB and still not get everything I want out. I might need 35 pages and at least 20 sourced materials.

So with that said, I think DAMN. is up there with more hip-hop classics. It's almost like It Was Written by Nas following Illmatic. IWW is a classic album, and it took years afterwards to realize that it's a classic in it's own right. The difference is that since kids today have short memories, they can see DAMN. for what it is now, because they put TPAB in the back of their minds and they are like, DAMN. is banging! This decade, you take out TPAB and then you have a top 5 hip-hop albums this decade. And as a hardcore Kanye West fan, I am willing to say this, DAMN. is better than My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy!  It's better than Watch the Throne, it's better than Take Care, It's better than Thank Me Later. It's a straight modern classic album. Looking at DAMN. for what it is, it's a great, great album that will be a true highlight of the modern era of today. Also, it is K Dot's highest selling album out the gate. Even with the leak on Thursday night... this still happened, "Even when my album leak, fans still buy it for proof." This is the album which we can all agree, K Dot is the undisputed king of hip-hop. He's outsold Drake, he still has HUGE critical acclaim ratings and if you want to call Kendrick fans Stan's, well the vase majority of Twitter and rap fans in general are K Dot Stans. Dude has taken over the game, and he has HUGE lasting power. He is like Jay, Nas, Snoop, he can keep making music until he's 40.

Marco

West Coast Connection // www.dubcnn.com/connect // West Coast Connection

Sccit

« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2017, 04:59:20 PM »
it's not as good as his last two .. solid album overall tho

D-TalkX

« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2017, 08:19:21 AM »
I want to like Kendrick's music….but to me it's soooooo boring, save a few tracks….Glad he is doing well though.