Author Topic: Anybody want to talk 90's era boxing?  (Read 4656 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Anybody want to talk 90's era boxing?
« on: April 24, 2017, 08:41:50 PM »
Some great heavyweights in that era. 

-Lennox Lewis was truly a bad man.  Seems like he never lost a fight and always appeared dominant and in control with that long jab he used to control fights and keep boxers away.  Even the fight he lost to McCall the ref called that fight early with Lewis still on his feet and hungry to continue the fight.  McCall talked a gang of shit and Lewis beat his ass so thoroughly in the next fight that he quit during that fight in what was a truly bizzare moment... even in boxing standards.

-Tyson was fucking insane in the 90's.  With Cus gone, Atlas, and bobby Steward gone from his corner Mike went fucking nuts.  And all types of hilarity and insanity ensued.  Yet, through it all he was a personal favorite of most, and the hip-hop champ- coming to the ring to Pac music and shit like that.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

DeeezNuuuts83

Re: Anybody want to talk 90's era boxing?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 09:29:10 AM »
I mostly watched Tyson fights and Holyfield fights, till their careers fizzled.  But later on I watched Fernando Vargas too since I was from Oxnard.  I loved how he wasn't a punk and didn't sell out (and that was a big contrast between him and Oscar) but then he got shut up by Trinidad and then Oscar, and never quite recovered his career after that, especially since he got caught with some PEDs in his system, plus I remember around that time he caught some assault charges for a fight he got into in Santa Barbara or something.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 12:25:17 AM »
I mostly watched Tyson fights and Holyfield fights, till their careers fizzled.  But later on I watched Fernando Vargas too since I was from Oxnard.  I loved how he wasn't a punk and didn't sell out (and that was a big contrast between him and Oscar) but then he got shut up by Trinidad and then Oscar, and never quite recovered his career after that, especially since he got caught with some PEDs in his system, plus I remember around that time he caught some assault charges for a fight he got into in Santa Barbara or something.

I don't know a lot about Vargas, I was really only into the heavyweight division.

As for Holyfield, he was a really great fighter, very spiritual man.  He didn't appear in the ring as a killer--he was all heart.  He even quickly forgave Tyson for the ear biting incidents and his bouts with Riddick Bowe were classic.  Maybe he lacked a bit of charisma in comparison to other 90s boxers like the afformentioned Tyson, Lewis-- or also Tommy Morrison or George Foreman--who can forget when foreman knocked out Michael Moore in an epic upset by an aged warrior.  Moore was trained by tysons old trainer Atlas and you could even hear Atlas reminding Moore not to be baited into that punch but Foreman won the match with one good punch!!
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 10:45:38 AM »
holyfield woulda gotten shitted on if he fought tyson in his prime

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 11:50:59 AM »
But isn't Holyfield a good amount older than Tyson? Tyson at his prime would've also meant we'd see a younger Holyfield too. It's like saying Floyd didn't fight Manny at his prime -- which is true -- but with Floyd being older than Manny, we'd have seen a slightly fresher Floyd too.

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 01:54:40 PM »
But isn't Holyfield a good amount older than Tyson? Tyson at his prime would've also meant we'd see a younger Holyfield too. It's like saying Floyd didn't fight Manny at his prime -- which is true -- but with Floyd being older than Manny, we'd have seen a slightly fresher Floyd too.

yea, but holyfield was still on top of his game....tyson was a whole nother animal in the late 80's-early 90's

Citizen-Y

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 05:02:14 PM »
I wouldn't have mind seeing Riddick Bowe vs a prime Tyson or Lewis.  Goddamn.

Space RockStar SkyStalker Machine

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 03:32:05 AM »
Holyfeild beat Tysons in the Olympics

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 02:30:28 PM »

I don't know a lot about Vargas, I was really only into the heavyweight division.

As for Holyfield, he was a really great fighter, very spiritual man.  He didn't appear in the ring as a killer--he was all heart.  He even quickly forgave Tyson for the ear biting incidents and his bouts with Riddick Bowe were classic.  Maybe he lacked a bit of charisma in comparison to other 90s boxers like the afformentioned Tyson, Lewis-- or also Tommy Morrison or George Foreman--who can forget when foreman knocked out Michael Moore in an epic upset by an aged warrior.  Moore was trained by tysons old trainer Atlas and you could even hear Atlas reminding Moore not to be baited into that punch but Foreman won the match with one good punch!!

I was a HUGE Oscar fan. Like HUGE. So when Vargas was talking shit, I was so happy to see Oscar beat his ass. He picked him apart, and then when Vargas was too tired Oscar put him away. What's cool now is they work together to get LA fighters out there. Vargas is a trainer in LA, and he's working with Oscar to get his fighters promoted by Golden Boy. So they have a working relation, and it's all good.

To me, I was very sad with Moore losing. I was hoping he could be the undisputed champion, just because he was southpaw. I don't know why, but I like southpaw fighters.

And what people forget is that Razor Ruddock and Tyson had WARS. They had two fights, and both completely FUCKED each other up! I wish Tyson didn't lose to Douglas, because then people would have remembered the Ruddock/Tyson wars. Tyson did win the second fight, the first one was a toss up, and they should always be remembered.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 08:32:37 PM »
Really? I never heard about them working together, or even being on good terms. I remember recently watching an Oscar interview on YouTube (not sure when it was recorded but it was likely within the past couple of years) where he said he asked Vargas to meet up for lunch just to kind of make sure there weren't any issues, and they did meet up but Vargas didn't seem too interested in being buddy-buddy. Obviously they don't hate each other (at least not anymore) but I don't see them working together like that.

But yeah, Oscar kicked his ass in that fight, and it was definitely one of Oscar's best victories.  But that was the start of Vargas's fall, since he seemed to get his ass kicked by everyone else after that too.  When Mayorga beats you, then you need to quit the sport.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 09:09:26 PM »
Really? I never heard about them working together, or even being on good terms. I remember recently watching an Oscar interview on YouTube (not sure when it was recorded but it was likely within the past couple of years) where he said he asked Vargas to meet up for lunch just to kind of make sure there weren't any issues, and they did meet up but Vargas didn't seem too interested in being buddy-buddy. Obviously they don't hate each other (at least not anymore) but I don't see them working together like that.

But yeah, Oscar kicked his ass in that fight, and it was definitely one of Oscar's best victories.  But that was the start of Vargas's fall, since he seemed to get his ass kicked by everyone else after that too.  When Mayorga beats you, then you need to quit the sport.

Well, make no mistake about it, I don't think Vargas and Oscar will be exchanging Christmas cards, but they are two business people, and they are talking business. They don't have to like each other, but Vargas is training some really good boxers out LA, and Oscar wants to get the best boxers under Golden Boy. This is strictly business.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/K5cCeDc82-Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/K5cCeDc82-Q</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/V4m6uMTPSnc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/V4m6uMTPSnc</a>
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:11:21 PM by M Dogg™ »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 09:51:32 PM »
holyfield woulda gotten shitted on if he fought tyson in his prime

Mid 90s steroid infested Holyfield wasn't going to get killed by anyone. There's guys that could have beaten him like Lennox Lewis but no one was goingredients to kill him. He was too good a boxer. Prime Tyson may have won but it'd be up to the judges.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 12:01:03 PM »
With Oscar, I feel like after his wins over JCC, he lost to every elite fighter with a name... Trinidad, Mosley, Hopkins, Floyd and Manny.  Yeah, it's a good list and better than losing to bums, but it affects how I viewed the later half of his career. Had I not grown up in Oxnard, I probably wouldn't have cared about Vargas, so as satisfying of a win as that was for Oscar and his fans, it really wasn't anything too crazy since it's not like Vargas running the 154 division.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 03:15:19 PM »
With Oscar, I feel like after his wins over JCC, he lost to every elite fighter with a name... Trinidad, Mosley, Hopkins, Floyd and Manny.  Yeah, it's a good list and better than losing to bums, but it affects how I viewed the later half of his career. Had I not grown up in Oxnard, I probably wouldn't have cared about Vargas, so as satisfying of a win as that was for Oscar and his fans, it really wasn't anything too crazy since it's not like Vargas running the 154 division.

There are 2 phases to Oscar's career, ducking people and getting all the wins possible and building your name, then fighting all the best fighters and making all the money possible. Oscar DID beat Felix, don't be lied to, but the others, yeah, they fucked him up. Mosley's fight at Staples, I remember that like it's yesterday. Once Oscar got his name out there, he'd fight a rabbit pitbull if the payday was right, as obvious by fight B Hop. He cashed in on his name, got his ass whooped but still sold a lot of PPV's. But was about that money. After all, what good is your name if you don't cash in.

Sccit

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 04:31:18 PM »

There are 2 phases to Oscar's career, ducking people and getting all the wins possible and building your name, then fighting all the best fighters and making all the money possible. Oscar DID beat Felix, don't be lied to, but the others, yeah, they fucked him up. Mosley's fight at Staples, I remember that like it's yesterday. Once Oscar got his name out there, he'd fight a rabbit pitbull if the payday was right, as obvious by fight B Hop. He cashed in on his name, got his ass whooped but still sold a lot of PPV's. But was about that money. After all, what good is your name if you don't cash in.

how did u feel about him bein a dragqueen on the low