Author Topic: Anybody want to talk 90's era boxing?  (Read 4652 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Anybody want to talk 90's era boxing?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 05:12:24 PM »
Just had the best heavyweight fight since the 90's last week. Joshua/Klitschko was unreal. Joshua 19-0 with 19 KO's. Leave the 90's where they were there is great boxing on the rise.

This weekend Chavez/Canelo. My nigga Errol Spence Jr. fighting Kell Brook in London soon. May 20th, I'll be at the Garden near ringside for Crawford/Diaz. Getting a Ward/Kovalev rematch. Hopefully Canelo/GGG by December. Best year in boxing in years. Let's appreciate the now, my G's.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 05:17:37 PM »
With Oscar, I feel like after his wins over JCC, he lost to every elite fighter with a name... Trinidad, Mosley, Hopkins, Floyd and Manny.  Yeah, it's a good list and better than losing to bums, but it affects how I viewed the later half of his career. Had I not grown up in Oxnard, I probably wouldn't have cared about Vargas, so as satisfying of a win as that was for Oscar and his fans, it really wasn't anything too crazy since it's not like Vargas running the 154 division.

There are 2 phases to Oscar's career, ducking people and getting all the wins possible and building your name, then fighting all the best fighters and making all the money possible. Oscar DID beat Felix, don't be lied to, but the others, yeah, they fucked him up. Mosley's fight at Staples, I remember that like it's yesterday. Once Oscar got his name out there, he'd fight a rabbit pitbull if the payday was right, as obvious by fight B Hop. He cashed in on his name, got his ass whooped but still sold a lot of PPV's. But was about that money. After all, what good is your name if you don't cash in.
Yeah but it's hard to call the (official) loss to Trinidad a robbery when he even admitted he let off the gas. Should've closed out strong.

I don't mind him cashing in on his name... it justifies the fights but not the losses.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 05:18:55 PM »
Just had the best heavyweight fight since the 90's last week. Joshua/Klitschko was unreal. Joshua 19-0 with 19 KO's. Leave the 90's where they were there is great boxing on the rise.

This weekend Chavez/Canelo. My nigga Errol Spence Jr. fighting Kell Brook in London soon. May 20th, I'll be at the Garden near ringside for Crawford/Diaz. Getting a Ward/Kovalev rematch. Hopefully Canelo/GGG by December. Best year in boxing in years. Let's appreciate the now, my G's.
Who do you have winning?  Canelo's better but Chavez is a BIG boy, and I bet he wants this one more than a lot of his other fights.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 05:21:43 PM »

Who do you have winning?  Canelo's better but Chavez is a BIG boy, and I bet he wants this one more than a lot of his other fights.

Yeah Canelo is definitely the more skilled fight. But yeah, I saw them the other day standing next to each other, didn't realize how much taller Chavez is.

They said this is the biggest fight in Mexican history. Both guys hate each other. I expect a war. Rooting for Chavez, Canelo should win.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 05:45:28 AM »
And it's not like Canelo is small either.  But the two of them looks like Manny standing in front of basically any welterweight (aside from guys who moved up like he did, such as Marquez and Bradley).

I don't know if this is the "best" boxing year though.  Aside from last weekend's heavyweight fight, I've felt let down so far, especially with how uneventful that last GGG fight was.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 10:38:05 AM »
With Oscar, I feel like after his wins over JCC, he lost to every elite fighter with a name... Trinidad, Mosley, Hopkins, Floyd and Manny.  Yeah, it's a good list and better than losing to bums, but it affects how I viewed the later half of his career. Had I not grown up in Oxnard, I probably wouldn't have cared about Vargas, so as satisfying of a win as that was for Oscar and his fans, it really wasn't anything too crazy since it's not like Vargas running the 154 division.

There are 2 phases to Oscar's career, ducking people and getting all the wins possible and building your name, then fighting all the best fighters and making all the money possible. Oscar DID beat Felix, don't be lied to, but the others, yeah, they fucked him up. Mosley's fight at Staples, I remember that like it's yesterday. Once Oscar got his name out there, he'd fight a rabbit pitbull if the payday was right, as obvious by fight B Hop. He cashed in on his name, got his ass whooped but still sold a lot of PPV's. But was about that money. After all, what good is your name if you don't cash in.

how did u feel about him bein a dragqueen on the low

I mean, how do I feel about Hulk Hogan being racist, Magic Johnson getting HIV, or any other hero that has flaws? 80's/90's sports stars and cocaine just seemed to go hand and hand.

Yeah but it's hard to call the (official) loss to Trinidad a robbery when he even admitted he let off the gas. Should've closed out strong.

I don't mind him cashing in on his name... it justifies the fights but not the losses.

I don't mind him losing. At least he took the fights. What's he going to do, duck challengers all day? No! If he's the boxer he was hyped up to be, then he'd fight the best fighters and beat them. Well he didn't win. No one puts Oscar up there with Sugar Ray Robinson. But they do put him as one of the most important boxing figures and biggest draws. I can live with that.

I have to watch that fight. Actually both. I got Canelo winning. I don't think boxing has much left in terms of popularity, but the boxing recently seems to be really good. I will have to watch back some fights. The good thing about boxing, you can watch a whole fight after the fight and be entertained.

The following users thanked this post: Sccit

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 08:17:45 AM »
And just like that, boxing is now dead again... man.

Sccit

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 09:39:09 AM »
that canelo fight was a bad look

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2017, 11:08:02 AM »
Yeah, the GGG fight wouldn't do anything to improve that, and the potential Mayweather/McGregor will be a huge joke.

Sccit

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2017, 12:58:26 PM »
i think ggg-canelo will be much better

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 10:36:37 AM »
Yeah, the GGG fight wouldn't do anything to improve that, and the potential Mayweather/McGregor will be a huge joke.
People are starting to wise up, and hopefully the promotional companies involved will too and realize that while Floyd is still marketable, people are kind of over him at this point and aren't buying into whatever garbage fight he wants to put out where it's the same actionless fight that we've been seeing.  He's not going to generate nearly as much revenue as before, so they won't be able to throw him these crazy guarantees anymore.  The financials don't add up anymore, so hopefully it'll just push him into obscurity if he's firm on the big paydays.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2017, 12:45:50 PM »
Arum mentioned something... assuming Manny gets past Horn as we expect him to, what would y'all think about Pacquiao-Macgregor? It probably won't generate the same gross revenue as Mayweather-Macgregor, but it would probably be a more entertaining fight (since Manny engages) and more profitable too (since Manny likely isn't going to demand a nine-figure guarantee).

I wouldn't mind seeing that, and then maybe the winner of that would get Floyd's 50th fight (which is more likely than Floyd fighting GGG), and either of them coming out on top would make a pretty good case for a Floyd fight.

Sccit

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2017, 02:27:36 PM »
lol no thnx

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2017, 06:17:19 PM »
But would you agree that it would be more entertaining than Floyd and Conor?

Sccit

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2017, 07:40:16 PM »
But would you agree that it would be more entertaining than Floyd and Conor?

i think mcgregor would get washed faster by manny