Author Topic: Anybody want to talk 90's era boxing?  (Read 4651 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: Anybody want to talk 90's era boxing?
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2017, 11:32:09 AM »
McGregor has no chance against either.

Sccit

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 12:36:53 PM »
McGregor has no chance against either.

yes, but it would be a longer fight vs floyd

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 01:03:46 PM »
I was wondering how difficult the transition would be for a UFC fighter to go to boxing, particularly when shit goes bad and maybe they react on instinct. Like if they're close and locked up, is it at all likely that they might throw a knee? I ask because when I was younger I took a year of jiu jitsu, and when I tried out wrestling in high school, I was taught the basics but found in the beginning when I was in trouble on the mat, is instinctually do jiu jitsu grappling moves that were all illlegal. Then I'd have to run laps afterward as my punishment.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2017, 12:11:24 AM »
But isn't Holyfield a good amount older than Tyson? Tyson at his prime would've also meant we'd see a younger Holyfield too. It's like saying Floyd didn't fight Manny at his prime -- which is true -- but with Floyd being older than Manny, we'd have seen a slightly fresher Floyd too.

From what I've seen the two pretty much came up together.  So Tyson and Holyfield are legit peers in the industry.  I mean as someone one said they were at the Olympics together--even Lewis was there at the Olympics at the same time.

The real different was Mikes meteoric rise at such a young age really shocked the world.  But I consider them all peers as far as age goes, Holyfield, Mike, and Lewis.

Which is why as a Tyson fan it's such a shame we didn't get to see him box Lewis and Holyfield until he was in his 30's.  Tyson didn't match up well against Lewis--all Lewis had to do was stick to the game plan of using the jab to keep Tyson at a distance and then tying him up whenever Tyson got close.  I hated that strategy of always tying Tyson up--nobody wanted to stand toe to toe cause he was a killer once he got in.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 12:20:51 AM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2017, 12:14:19 AM »
I mostly watched Tyson fights and Holyfield fights, till their careers fizzled.  But later on I watched Fernando Vargas too since I was from Oxnard.  I loved how he wasn't a punk and didn't sell out (and that was a big contrast between him and Oscar) but then he got shut up by Trinidad and then Oscar, and never quite recovered his career after that, especially since he got caught with some PEDs in his system, plus I remember around that time he caught some assault charges for a fight he got into in Santa Barbara or something.

I don't know a lot about Vargas, I was really only into the heavyweight division.

As for Holyfield, he was a really great fighter, very spiritual man.  He didn't appear in the ring as a killer--he was all heart.  He even quickly forgave Tyson for the ear biting incidents and his bouts with Riddick Bowe were classic.  Maybe he lacked a bit of charisma in comparison to other 90s boxers like the afformentioned Tyson, Lewis-- or also Tommy Morrison or George Foreman--who can forget when foreman knocked out Michael Moore in an epic upset by an aged warrior.  Moore was trained by tysons old trainer Atlas and you could even hear Atlas reminding Moore not to be baited into that punch but Foreman won the match with one good punch!!

I was a HUGE Oscar fan. Like HUGE. So when Vargas was talking shit, I was so happy to see Oscar beat his ass. He picked him apart, and then when Vargas was too tired Oscar put him away. What's cool now is they work together to get LA fighters out there. Vargas is a trainer in LA, and he's working with Oscar to get his fighters promoted by Golden Boy. So they have a working relation, and it's all good.

To me, I was very sad with Moore losing. I was hoping he could be the undisputed champion, just because he was southpaw. I don't know why, but I like southpaw fighters.

And what people forget is that Razor Ruddock and Tyson had WARS. They had two fights, and both completely FUCKED each other up! I wish Tyson didn't lose to Douglas, because then people would have remembered the Ruddock/Tyson wars. Tyson did win the second fight, the first one was a toss up, and they should always be remembered.

You're right.  The Ruddock wars do get overlooked.  Ruddock deserves a lot of credit for going toe to toe with Tyson in those days. 
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2017, 09:16:56 AM »
I mostly watched Tyson fights and Holyfield fights, till their careers fizzled.  But later on I watched Fernando Vargas too since I was from Oxnard.  I loved how he wasn't a punk and didn't sell out (and that was a big contrast between him and Oscar) but then he got shut up by Trinidad and then Oscar, and never quite recovered his career after that, especially since he got caught with some PEDs in his system, plus I remember around that time he caught some assault charges for a fight he got into in Santa Barbara or something.

I don't know a lot about Vargas, I was really only into the heavyweight division.

As for Holyfield, he was a really great fighter, very spiritual man.  He didn't appear in the ring as a killer--he was all heart.  He even quickly forgave Tyson for the ear biting incidents and his bouts with Riddick Bowe were classic.  Maybe he lacked a bit of charisma in comparison to other 90s boxers like the afformentioned Tyson, Lewis-- or also Tommy Morrison or George Foreman--who can forget when foreman knocked out Michael Moore in an epic upset by an aged warrior.  Moore was trained by tysons old trainer Atlas and you could even hear Atlas reminding Moore not to be baited into that punch but Foreman won the match with one good punch!!

I was a HUGE Oscar fan. Like HUGE. So when Vargas was talking shit, I was so happy to see Oscar beat his ass. He picked him apart, and then when Vargas was too tired Oscar put him away. What's cool now is they work together to get LA fighters out there. Vargas is a trainer in LA, and he's working with Oscar to get his fighters promoted by Golden Boy. So they have a working relation, and it's all good.

To me, I was very sad with Moore losing. I was hoping he could be the undisputed champion, just because he was southpaw. I don't know why, but I like southpaw fighters.

And what people forget is that Razor Ruddock and Tyson had WARS. They had two fights, and both completely FUCKED each other up! I wish Tyson didn't lose to Douglas, because then people would have remembered the Ruddock/Tyson wars. Tyson did win the second fight, the first one was a toss up, and they should always be remembered.

You're right.  The Ruddock wars do get overlooked.  Ruddock deserves a lot of credit for going toe to toe with Tyson in those days.

Only reason Ruddock fought Tyson was because Holyfield was ducking him. He was good. I have a lot of respect for Rudduck. He took Tyson to the limits back when everyone feared him.