Author Topic: Countdown to Canelo-GGG  (Read 5096 times)

DeeezNuuuts83

Countdown to Canelo-GGG
« on: May 07, 2017, 10:38:27 PM »
So we saw a one-sided beatdown last night... I think we all knew that Canelo would win, but Chavez's size advantage never really showed up for even a minute, and I can't recall any punches of his that did anything to Canelo.  I'm curious if Chavez or his team were aware of any pending announcement of Canelo's next fight or if the same GGG introduction would've happened in the event that Canelo somehow lost.

Anyway... the boxing fight we want the most is coming in September, and not anywhere near its expiration date.  Oscar is talking out of his ass saying that it'll be bigger than Mayweather-Pacquiao (and I'm reminded of when Richard Schaefer was saying that Mayweather-Mosley was going to outsell De La Hoya-Mayweather and do somewhere between 3-4 million PPV buys, but it ended up doing 1.4 million), but it'll be wildly successful... I'm thinking between 1.5 and 2 million.  It's just that while they're both coming off of victories (and a lot of them), GGG wasn't exactly spectacular in his win several weeks back, and Canelo just beat a guy who was bigger but far, far less skilled, almost like Pacquiao-Margarito but with an even larger gap in talent and smaller gap in size.  Plus Chavez Jr. has been known to slack off in his training and really only lives off of being Chavez Sr.'s son.  While Canelo has a HUGE Mexican following (and the Mexican fanbase always accounts for a lot of buys), it's hard to get the American mainstream into him since he's not that interesting and doesn't speak English.  GGG can, but his limited English keeps his dialogue at an elementary school level.  I remember watching his interview with The Breakfast Club, and it's one of the few that I had to force myself through.  Plus he's similarly uninteresting.

This will be a war, and I like how Canelo rarely retreats, but at the moment I think Vegas has GGG as the favorite.  I don't mind Canelo's one loss since it was to Floyd (and keep in mind he was far less experienced at the time and had to make 152), but his wins against the bigger names were against guys who we knew he'd beat and were also well past their primes.  Mosley hadn't won in his last three fights before Canelo and was 40.  Contrasting to that, Cotto was coming off of three wins -- none of which went the distance, to his credit -- but remember that he was supposed to fight Canelo after Trout, but he lost pretty clearly to Trout, who in turn lost pretty clearly to Canelo.  And then Khan didn't stand a chance, since he wasn't even rocking guys at 140-147 in the last few years, let alone at 155.  Canelo's really good, but on one of the ESPN SCs in Spanish, they had a discussion about whether Canelo was that good, or if it was just Chavez who was that bad.

Sccit

Re: Countdown to Canelo-GGG
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 09:33:23 AM »
GGG GOT THIS

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 11:13:09 AM »
I wouldn't mind GGG taking this. To be honest it would be better for boxing. Canelo's good, and while he is currently the cash cow of boxing, I don't feel like he's THAT dude in boxing. I think it's cool that he's been doing his numbers (2.2M vs. Floyd, 900k vs. Cotto and supposedly over 1M vs. Chavez), but if he wins against GGG (which like I said will probably generate somewhere between 1.5-2.5M), I don't want him to get cocky and think that he owns boxing, but he will indeed think that.  But with that kind of exposure, if GGG wins, that could really encourage Floyd to at least consider a GGG fight at 160 for his inevitable 50th bout, which would be way more interesting than Floyd-Macgregor (or Floyd-Canelo II)

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 11:40:26 AM »
I wouldn't mind GGG taking this. To be honest it would be better for boxing. Canelo's good, and while he is currently the cash cow of boxing, I don't feel like he's THAT dude in boxing. I think it's cool that he's been doing his numbers (2.2M vs. Floyd, 900k vs. Cotto and supposedly over 1M vs. Chavez), but if he wins against GGG (which like I said will probably generate somewhere between 1.5-2.5M), I don't want him to get cocky and think that he owns boxing, but he will indeed think that.  But with that kind of exposure, if GGG wins, that could really encourage Floyd to at least consider a GGG fight at 160 for his inevitable 50th bout, which would be way more interesting than Floyd-Macgregor (or Floyd-Canelo II)
floyd wouldn't do that

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 12:44:03 PM »
floyd wouldn't do that
But it doesn't mean that he can't be backed into a corner and have to go with an option that he didn't necessarily want to.  I'm reminded of the Mosley fight.  Floyd wasn't necessarily scared, but for a while it didn't seem like he was that interested in fighting him (even though Mosley was coming off of a pretty good run so it's not like he was a bum) especially when he popped up in the ring after Floyd beat Marquez, but when Mosley-Berto was cancelled, then Mosley became available and was really the only option.  Either him or Manny.

So GGG winning doesn't mean Floyd will have to fight him, but it would really diminish the appeal of a Macgregor fight, because even if Canelo wins and has more experience this time around, we've already seen them fight, and it wasn't that close the first time.  And while Floyd tends to want the easy money, I just don't see a Macgregor fight outgrossing a GGG fight.  I don't care if Macgregor brings the UFC crowd, I just don't see it bringing so much more to the table.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 04:54:22 PM »
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

That Chavez fight could arguably have been the worst fight I ever watched.

Sccit

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 05:09:19 PM »
floyd wouldn't do that
But it doesn't mean that he can't be backed into a corner and have to go with an option that he didn't necessarily want to.  I'm reminded of the Mosley fight.  Floyd wasn't necessarily scared, but for a while it didn't seem like he was that interested in fighting him (even though Mosley was coming off of a pretty good run so it's not like he was a bum) especially when he popped up in the ring after Floyd beat Marquez, but when Mosley-Berto was cancelled, then Mosley became available and was really the only option.  Either him or Manny.

So GGG winning doesn't mean Floyd will have to fight him, but it would really diminish the appeal of a Macgregor fight, because even if Canelo wins and has more experience this time around, we've already seen them fight, and it wasn't that close the first time.  And while Floyd tends to want the easy money, I just don't see a Macgregor fight outgrossing a GGG fight.  I don't care if Macgregor brings the UFC crowd, I just don't see it bringing so much more to the table.

but GGG would probably beat him.. floyd don't wana come out retirement to go 49-1 .. he's guna fight mcgregor for that 50th win under the guise of doing it for the money

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 05:10:53 PM »
floyd wouldn't do that

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 08:44:19 AM »
floyd wouldn't do that

but GGG would probably beat him.. floyd don't wana come out retirement to go 49-1 .. he's guna fight mcgregor for that 50th win under the guise of doing it for the money
They should all just say fuck Floyd, and the winner of GGG-Canelo fights Macgregor. That would be cool and a lot more entertaining than him fighting Floyd.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 10:45:36 AM »
floyd wouldn't do that

They should all just say fuck Floyd, and the winner of GGG-Canelo fights Macgregor. That would be cool and a lot more entertaining than him fighting Floyd.

After GGG/Canelo, the winner will give us some bum fights to capitalize off the name that fight will bring them. Which I can't blame them for, it is a business after all.

So during that down time, I say winner of Spence/Brook (hopefully Spence) calls out Thurman. Then we get a Thurman/Spence super fight & the winner fights the LOSER of the GGG/Canelo fight, then the winner fights the winner of GGG/Canelo.

So hypothetically broken down...

GGG beats Canelo.

Spence beats Brook.

Spence fights Thurman & beats Thurman.

Spence fights Canelo & beats Canelo.

Then we get GGG/Spence.

Only problem with that if it happened is GGG would probably just be a little too old & Spence would be in his prime.

But boxing would thrive if they set it up like that.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 11:01:44 AM »
This issue with that scenario, is that it means GGG will be inactive for a while, unless you are implying that he's going to fight some random person in the meantime.

But Thurman though? I know he's one of the bigger welterweights, but he's still a welterweight, and you're talking about him going up to middleweight.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 12:12:46 PM »
This issue with that scenario, is that it means GGG will be inactive for a while, unless you are implying that he's going to fight some random person in the meantime.

But Thurman though? I know he's one of the bigger welterweights, but he's still a welterweight, and you're talking about him going up to middleweight.

Yeah, because if GGG wins, he's gonna fight two bums next. Because he'll sell those fights on being the best there is right now.

& Brook said yesterday he's calling Thurman out if/when he beats Brook.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 12:43:20 PM »
But there's no superstar money in bum fights for GGG. Bearing Canelo will do wonders for his career, but he still won't have the drawing power to carry a fight on his own, at least not like the big boys.  Look at Manny and Floyd when they took on mediocre opponents:

Pacquiao-Clottey: 700k (down from 1.25M vs. Cotto)
Pacquiao-Rios: 550k (down from 1.15M vs. Marquez IV, albeit it was after a KO loss)
Pacquiao-Algieri: 350k (down from 800k vs. Bradley II)
Pacquiao-Vargas: 300k (down from 400k vs. Bradley III)

Mayweather-Berto: 350k (down from 4.4M vs. Pacquiao)

Unless GGG destroys Canelo, there aren't a lot of names at 160 that will get him good numbers following a Canelo fight.  Maybe Cotto or Martinez coming back to fight him would.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 07:25:17 PM »
let's go GGG

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 10:04:43 PM »
Predictions for tomorrow?