Author Topic: Had an opportunity to see All Eyez On Me...  (Read 2231 times)

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Holler at your Uncle Snoopy..."
Had an opportunity to see All Eyez On Me...
« on: May 26, 2017, 03:44:28 PM »
Recently had an opportunity to see the Tupac biopic through an advance media screening. Won't post any major spoilers in this comment (well, we all know how it ends!) but I will say that I was very pleasantly surprised. After the initial trailers I had some skepticism about whether or not the movie would do 'Pac's legacy justice. In my opinion, they succeeded there. The movie provides a well researched overview of his entire life, not just focusing on the height of his fame (eg: Death Row), but other periods including his attendance of the Baltimore school for arts; his affiliation with Digital Underground, etc.

Demetrius Shipp Jr does a fantastic job as Tupac, nailing many of his signature mannerisms, inflections, etc. Acting across the board is generally solid, with the actor portraying Suge doing some good work also. If I had one criticism, it would be that I preferred the cinematography of, say, Straight Outta Compton over All Eyez. Benny Boom does an accomplished job as the Director, but the movie has the visual "sheen" of a Notorious, whereas Straight Outta Compton looked a little more gritty in places (more befitting the subject matter.) It's a minor complaint and one that doesn't detract from the overall enjoyment of the film. Looking forward to seeing it again next month.
"Shit ain't all peaches and cream, and I ain't Sara Lee, bitch!" - Lloyd Banks

"I'm Morpheus in this Hip-Hop Matrix, exposing fake shit." - Common

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

"Look at all these conscious rappers - guess who influenced them?" - KRS One

The following users thanked this post: Blood$

Blood$

Re: Had an opportunity to see All Eyez On Me...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 05:04:46 PM »
I have faith that the movie will be dope and do 2Pac's legacy justice, but yeah I kinda figured the cinematography wouldn't be quite there with Straight Outta Compton as that was some next level shit lol

abusive

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 01:56:56 PM »
From what I've seen online from everyone who's seen it is that it's a good film just as you said.
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 04:03:41 PM »
thats good to hear.....I had a feeling its guna be in the same ballpark as the nwa movie

Okka

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 04:38:31 AM »
I can't wait to see this.

drunkenfool

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 03:36:37 PM »
how much Pac music was in the film?

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Holler at your Uncle Snoopy..."
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 05:54:03 PM »

His music is well represented - they seem to have secured a good amount of his catalog. The movie features a few Straight Outta Compton-esque performance scenes - as I recall those featured "Hail Mary;" "Hit 'Em Up," etc. They recreate the music video for "I Get Around" and at least one other song, but I'm blanking right now. There's also a great scene that shows 'Pac go immediately from the recording of "California Love" to "2 Of Amerikaz Most Wanted." Those are just a few prominent tracks that come to mind, but again - they did a good job musically.
"Shit ain't all peaches and cream, and I ain't Sara Lee, bitch!" - Lloyd Banks

"I'm Morpheus in this Hip-Hop Matrix, exposing fake shit." - Common

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

"Look at all these conscious rappers - guess who influenced them?" - KRS One

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 11:03:09 AM »
Thanks for the review Conan--fingers crossed
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

2Relevant

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 02:30:38 PM »
mark my words the movie will be ass and spoiler alert ************* 2pac dies  ;)

Blood$

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 04:56:09 PM »
mark my words the movie will be ass and spoiler alert ************* 2pac dies  ;)

well, your words really mean next to nothing on this board lol

abusive

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 06:23:16 AM »

His music is well represented - they seem to have secured a good amount of his catalog. The movie features a few Straight Outta Compton-esque performance scenes - as I recall those featured "Hail Mary;" "Hit 'Em Up," etc. They recreate the music video for "I Get Around" and at least one other song, but I'm blanking right now. There's also a great scene that shows 'Pac go immediately from the recording of "California Love" to "2 Of Amerikaz Most Wanted." Those are just a few prominent tracks that come to mind, but again - they did a good job musically.
That's what I was afraid of. Lots of DR material and not enough of his earlier more political music. I'll go as far as to say that Pac's earlier material is being suppressed. They love to promote the party stuff but not the songs where he's rapping about breaking people out of prison and ish like that.
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

2Relevant

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 10:51:23 AM »

like i give a shit what the internet thinks i will be right again this will suck

Blood$

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 12:12:37 PM »

like i give a shit what the internet thinks i will be right again this will suck

:tupachappy: