Author Topic: Bishop Lamont, Dre, Detox, What Could've Been And What It Was...  (Read 3231 times)

Listening to GDNIAFT by the Bish and it made me realize how the world would've reacted if Dre had made Detox featuring those slightly evolved 2001 style beats:

Dated, old, uninspiring with occasional moments of sheer excellence.

Bishops whole album is dope, really dope if we're just speaking on the lyrics as they are the "grown man business" aspect of the game that I hoped Detox would contain but the beats and hooks are very hit and miss with Khalid and co doing their best impersonations that lack soul or character. Still glad to see Bishop get a release but this album just kept on hitting me with those "could've been Detox" waves over and over again.

It also gave me a new appreciation of why Dre keeps switching up his underlings and keeps a gang of people around him as the orchestrator orchestrates but needs new players to keep it fresh and different and the folks who laced Bishop end up sounding a lot like those Detox jam sessions we heard.

FWIW Compton is a still a wack album though  :P

Sccit

Re: Bishop Lamont, Dre, Detox, What Could've Been And What It Was...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 09:14:05 AM »
would've been mediocre for an aftermath release .. and compton still classic.

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 09:55:01 AM »
No way this album would've dropped on Aftermath, now his previous mixtapes could've been culled into a bonafide classic 5 mic album during his Aftermath tenure as he recorded some serious heat.

This one sounds dated and uninspired in parts with the beats not matching up to the calibre of his vocals. Compton was the other way round. And Compton still wack.

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 10:07:00 AM »
Compton was chaotic.  Too many songs switching up beats.  Dre doing his best Kendrick Lamar impression on the whole album. His voice was about 5 octaves higher on this album.  I wanted, to like it, I really did.  Bumped it steadily for a month or so.  I never get it out anymore.  Satisfiction, Diary and All On Me were standouts.  3 or 4 good songs is enough for a mediocre album, and I feel I got my money's worth, I was just expecting more from Dre, especially after 10 years worth of tracks he has in the vaults.  I just can't get used to his new rap 'style'. 

The following users thanked this post: EFFeX, donfathaimmortal

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 10:12:27 AM »
if u listen to compton witout expectations, you'll appreciate it for the great body of work it is

i can see why someone who was expecting 2001 would be disappointed tho

The following users thanked this post: midwestryder, Taclivin

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 01:03:18 PM »
Compton was chaotic.  Too many songs switching up beats.  Dre doing his best Kendrick Lamar impression on the whole album. His voice was about 5 octaves higher on this album.  I wanted, to like it, I really did.  Bumped it steadily for a month or so.  I never get it out anymore.  Satisfiction, Diary and All On Me were standouts.  3 or 4 good songs is enough for a mediocre album, and I feel I got my money's worth, I was just expecting more from Dre, especially after 10 years worth of tracks he has in the vaults.  I just can't get used to his new rap 'style'.

Dre is (or was) a master of taking a ghost written performance and making it his own as he had impeccable mic presence but this album showed that he was like a 2 octave singer all those years that was feeling himself too much after a few drinks and karaoke and tried to show off by hitting notes outside of his range and ended up sounding like a cat being hit with a violin, much to everyones chagrin.

I too expected a lot more from him than this sacrifice album but his blatant trend riding just had too much of this effect:

if u listen to compton witout expectations, you'll appreciate it for the great body of work it is

i can see why someone who was expecting 2001 would be disappointed tho

Personally I think you've forced yourself to believe that. I don't care about sales, awards, accolades or whats hot in the streets but by Dres standards, previous work and current expectations that album should've raised the roof when in reality it came and went with little to no consequence. On a personal level the album was straight trash for a multitude of reasons but the point of the thread was to illustrate how he simply couldn't have peddled some 2001 style upgraded beats or old content. Bishops lyrics far exceed the beats on his album whereas Dres beats far exceed his lyrics on Compton.

I'm thinking had they both still been working together then both projects would've been something totally different and both would've been getting heavy rotation.

Sccit

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 01:11:34 PM »
^naah, I genuinely thought the album was great, front to back, had it on repeat for all of summer 2015....the production was excellent and the raps were good too. Dre was using a kendrickesque style, which took some getting used to, but it was bad.....if u remember, he used an Eminem style for a lot of 2001, so it's not the first time he changed his sound, as he's had a multitude of ghostwriters over the years.....the only reason u don't like it is because dre's name is attached to it and u expect something totally different from him. but it's far from a bad album.

The following users thanked this post: midwestryder

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 01:35:54 PM »
Hopefully he continues his pattern, he dropped The Chronic (classic) his next album Dr Dre Presents the Aftermath was panned by critics at the time.  Then he went back to his roots and came with the classic Chronic 2001.  Now the followup to that Compton flopped in the eyes of many.  Maybe he'll return to his roots and come back hungry and show he's still got it and can just be himself and release another masterpiece.  I have a gut feeling he won't ever release another album though. 

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 01:54:11 PM »
^naah, I genuinely thought the album was great, front to back, had it on repeat for all of summer 2015....the production was excellent and the raps were good too. Dre was using a kendrickesque style, which took some getting used to, but it was bad.....if u remember, he used an Eminem style for a lot of 2001, so it's not the first time he changed his sound, as he's had a multitude of ghostwriters over the years.....the only reason u don't like it is because dre's name is attached to it and u expect something totally different from him. but it's far from a bad album.

Good for you if you truly enjoyed it, its a wonderful feeling when a CD just clicks but for me this was more of a clack. Or clank. I'm used to Dre switching up his flow but this album just came across as pandering to the people instead of setting his own trend and thats why it came and went. Disposable music instead of timeless tracks and thats coming from someone who gave the album more than a fair shake, what I'm seeking simply isn't there in this case. An exceedingly poor release from Dre, even by 2015s low standards.

Hopefully he continues his pattern, he dropped The Chronic (classic) his next album Dr Dre Presents the Aftermath was panned by critics at the time.  Then he went back to his roots and came with the classic Chronic 2001.  Now the followup to that Compton flopped in the eyes of many.  Maybe he'll return to his roots and come back hungry and show he's still got it and can just be himself and release another masterpiece.  I have a gut feeling he won't ever release another album though.

It would be wonderful if he followed that pattern and made something new. I'd really like to hear his planets concept album or something totally leftfield with no rappers, another genre would be cool too or he could just start clearing his vaults. Either way Dre is done as he has no need to do it financially and as many others have eluded to before, he simply doesn't have it in him any more and without that spark you just produce Compton like garbage as there was no "Dre" in it, even though it featured him.

I really do think that Bishop could've bought something out of him (and vice versa) but Bishop seems arrogant and Dre ain't having that as he likes to call the shots but I think its this tip toeing around him that made him release Compton as everyone gassed him up to believe it was all that when it was flatter than week old soda as your view of this being "Dr Dre Presents..." Vol 2 is accurate.

Sccit

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 02:45:41 PM »

Good for you if you truly enjoyed it, its a wonderful feeling when a CD just clicks but for me this was more of a clack. Or clank. I'm used to Dre switching up his flow but this album just came across as pandering to the people instead of setting his own trend and thats why it came and went. Disposable music instead of timeless tracks and thats coming from someone who gave the album more than a fair shake, what I'm seeking simply isn't there in this case. An exceedingly poor release from Dre, even by 2015s low standards.

It would be wonderful if he followed that pattern and made something new. I'd really like to hear his planets concept album or something totally leftfield with no rappers, another genre would be cool too or he could just start clearing his vaults. Either way Dre is done as he has no need to do it financially and as many others have eluded to before, he simply doesn't have it in him any more and without that spark you just produce Compton like garbage as there was no "Dre" in it, even though it featured him.

I really do think that Bishop could've bought something out of him (and vice versa) but Bishop seems arrogant and Dre ain't having that as he likes to call the shots but I think its this tip toeing around him that made him release Compton as everyone gassed him up to believe it was all that when it was flatter than week old soda as your view of this being "Dr Dre Presents..." Vol 2 is accurate.

i think the main issue with compton was that it wasn't promoted .. no singles, no videos, nothin .. if the album had that, it woulda been much bigger than it was. pretty sure that affected the overall outlook and prospects of it "coming and going"

The following users thanked this post: midwestryder

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 08:02:17 AM »

i think the main issue with compton was that it wasn't promoted .. no singles, no videos, nothin .. if the album had that, it woulda been much bigger than it was. pretty sure that affected the overall outlook and prospects of it "coming and going"

That sounds like a bit of a cop out to me as a) its Dre b) word of mouth and c) quality of the product. C being the most important factor as to why this fizzled as there wasn't anything about it that heralded a big bang as no one was going up to their friends talking bout "Have you heard that new Dre track?"

There wasn't anything catchy, fresh, interesting or above mediocre on the whole album and that's after repeated spins.

Remember the first time you heard The Chronic? How you hooted and hollered with a big grin across your face as you nodded your head telling your boys that "This joint right here is the shit" again and again? Same with 2001. Now Dr Dre Presents had you liking a couple of joints and wondering what the heck Dre was thinking on the majority of them as they just weren't up to the usual standards you expect from him and that it holds in common with Compton.

The songs are just trash coming from Dre as he is a producer, meaning the whole kit and kaboodle not just nodding his head to some 808s - he crafts songs, melodies, hooks, concepts and every little bit in between and that level of polish, care, dedication and his usual trademark flair were all missing from the vast majority of this release.

Anyway, this thread wasn't to talk about Compton per se it was about Bishop and his album. Did you get that wannabe Detox vibe from its, musically speaking? I usually like checking out instrumental versions of albums but this one would be better of acapella.

Sccit

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 08:16:10 AM »

That sounds like a bit of a cop out to me as a) its Dre b) word of mouth and c) quality of the product. C being the most important factor as to why this fizzled as there wasn't anything about it that heralded a big bang as no one was going up to their friends talking bout "Have you heard that new Dre track?"

There wasn't anything catchy, fresh, interesting or above mediocre on the whole album and that's after repeated spins.

Remember the first time you heard The Chronic? How you hooted and hollered with a big grin across your face as you nodded your head telling your boys that "This joint right here is the shit" again and again? Same with 2001. Now Dr Dre Presents had you liking a couple of joints and wondering what the heck Dre was thinking on the majority of them as they just weren't up to the usual standards you expect from him and that it holds in common with Compton.

The songs are just trash coming from Dre as he is a producer, meaning the whole kit and kaboodle not just nodding his head to some 808s - he crafts songs, melodies, hooks, concepts and every little bit in between and that level of polish, care, dedication and his usual trademark flair were all missing from the vast majority of this release.

Anyway, this thread wasn't to talk about Compton per se it was about Bishop and his album. Did you get that wannabe Detox vibe from its, musically speaking? I usually like checking out instrumental versions of albums but this one would be better of acapella.

there was lots of catchy stuff on compton .. that's where ur wrong. the reason it didn't resonate on that level is because there was no single pushed to the masses like the previous albums. he went close to platinum on word of mouth, but that's not enough to reach the level of an album like 2001, which had mad singles and was promoted everywhere; clubs, radio, commercials..u couldn't go anywhere witout hearing joints off that album. that's cuz dre did this for himself, not for the popularity .. he's already filthy rich.

as for bishop, i didn't peep his new album yet..i'm not the biggest bishop fan. ill get to it eventually tho.

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 01:32:43 PM »

there was lots of catchy stuff on compton .. that's where ur wrong. the reason it didn't resonate on that level is because there was no single pushed to the masses like the previous albums. he went close to platinum on word of mouth, but that's not enough to reach the level of an album like 2001, which had mad singles and was promoted everywhere; clubs, radio, commercials..u couldn't go anywhere witout hearing joints off that album. that's cuz dre did this for himself, not for the popularity .. he's already filthy rich.

as for bishop, i didn't peep his new album yet..i'm not the biggest bishop fan. ill get to it eventually tho.

No cuzzo, there simply wasn't but you've sipped enough of that Kool Aid to not be able to speak on it rationally and I'm not bothered about agreeing to disagree so lets just say I think its a wack as you think its dope for the opposite reasons and both of us are right in our demented little ways. Dre didn't do it for himself, money or not he's still a relentlessly insecure artist that almost begs for validation to offset all the time he spends second guessing himself.

Detox was a sacrifice album to kill the Detox hype (which itself was a marketing gimmick that was well leveraged for a decade) and let Dre breathe which is one of the reasons I feel he may have another actual, real, proper album up his sleeve that features the calibre of rhymes, songs, production, hooks and overall artistry he is capable of and not the rush job he pedalled as Compton via the safety of the movie (which if you wish to be facetious could argue was the indirect promotional profile push, hence why he named his flop album after it)

Give that Bishop a spin, you'll see what I mean about the beats and the dilemma Dre was facing.

Sccit

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 02:08:27 PM »

No cuzzo, there simply wasn't but you've sipped enough of that Kool Aid to not be able to speak on it rationally and I'm not bothered about agreeing to disagree so lets just say I think its a wack as you think its dope for the opposite reasons and both of us are right in our demented little ways. Dre didn't do it for himself, money or not he's still a relentlessly insecure artist that almost begs for validation to offset all the time he spends second guessing himself.

Detox was a sacrifice album to kill the Detox hype (which itself was a marketing gimmick that was well leveraged for a decade) and let Dre breathe which is one of the reasons I feel he may have another actual, real, proper album up his sleeve that features the calibre of rhymes, songs, production, hooks and overall artistry he is capable of and not the rush job he pedalled as Compton via the safety of the movie (which if you wish to be facetious could argue was the indirect promotional profile push, hence why he named his flop album after it)

Give that Bishop a spin, you'll see what I mean about the beats and the dilemma Dre was facing.

deep water wasn't catchy? talk about it wasn't catch? all on me wasn't catch? all in a days work wasn't catchy? face it, there was some gems on that album .. dre jus wasn't tryna promote it like that. but any of the tracks i named had great single potential.

like u said, we ain't guna agree .. but ima check that bishop album soon n let u know what i think.

jman91331

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 04:47:07 PM »
Nothing "wack" or "trash" about Compton. You might need to put down those cheap computer speakers or those Apple ear buds and find you a system and really hear the album. Shit is a masterpiece. He took the style everyone is using and put that  "Dre Polish" on it. The attention of detail on the production was top notch. I don't know what you were expecting from Dre in 2015 but it damn sure wasn't gonna be 2001 pt. 2

The following users thanked this post: Sccit