Author Topic: Ice Cube Gets Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame  (Read 2157 times)

jaytee

Ice Cube Gets Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
« on: June 13, 2017, 01:29:09 AM »
Thanking his mother, a humble Ice Cube gets his star on Hollywood Walk of Fame

For 47-year-old O’Shea Jackson -- the rapper, actor and producer better known as Ice Cube (or just “Cube,” as his friends call him) -- receiving a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame was more than a testament to the hip-hop icon’s fruitful career.

The star, which was unveiled Monday morning outside the Musicians Institute on Hollywood Boulevard, caps the better part of a lifetime making music that not only reflects his experiences but also has had an impact on the broader culture.

“It’s about damn time,” said rapper WC, a close friend of Ice Cube, who spoke during the unveiling ceremony. “Because this is long overdue.”

The ceremony took place just three days after the release of the 25th-anniversary edition of Ice Cube’s politically charged album “Death Certificate,” and just three days before his 48th birthday (the news of which sparked an audience call-and-response: “When I say ‘happy,’ you say ‘birthday!’”).

Ice Cube first rose to fame in the late '80s as a rapper and lyricist with the West Coast “gangsta rap” group N.W.A, alongside fellow South Central natives Dr. Dre, DJ Yella, MC Ren (all of whom were present during Monday’s ceremony) and Eazy-E. Ice Cube penned the lyrics to several of N.W.A’s most resonant songs, including “Straight Outta Compton,” “Gangsta Gangsta” and “Express Yourself.”

“He utilized his lyrics to wake up spirits,” WC said of Ice Cube’s repertoire, the great majority of which is infused with sociopolitical commentary.

But while the rapper’s roots lie predominantly in gritty, G-funk anthems -- several particularly enthusiastic members of the crowd rapped along to “You Know How We Do It,” Ice Cube’s 1994 hit, which pulsed through a set of speakers on the outskirts of the ceremony -- he's become something of a renaissance man. Post-N.W.A, Ice Cube went on to launch a solo rap career and ventured into acting and record-producing.

No matter how his career has evolved, he has remained an active “call out” source for racial transgressions (most recently, in a forthright conversation with Bill Maher). And John Singleton -- best known for directing “Boyz N the Hood,” Ice Cube’s first foray onto the big screen -- believes that quality speaks volumes about Ice Cube’s character.

“The mark of a true man is how many people he influences in his lifetime,” Singleton said at the ceremony. “That’s how I see Cube."

But despite the back-to-back exclamations of praise, Ice Cube spoke with a degree of humility. In his acceptance speech -- which ran more than three times his designated two-minute interval -- he thanked everyone, including his mother and his longtime lawyer, Lee Young.

"You don't get here by yourself," the rapper said, sporting a pair of thick-rimmed rectangular shades and his characteristic black snapback with the L.A. Dodgers symbol sewn into its crown.

“Today is not really about Ice Cube,” he said. "It's about all the people that helped me get here."

Emily Mae Czachor, LA Times

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blDrW28iDmU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blDrW28iDmU</a>

doggfather

Re: Ice Cube Gets Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 01:50:53 AM »
congrats
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Okka

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 02:50:54 AM »
Congratulations to Ice Cube. Does anybody know if Dre and Snoop have those stars too?

gio™fugahoo

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 03:47:24 AM »
Congratulations to Ice Cube. Does anybody know if Dre and Snoop have those stars too?

Nope
Not yet

I remember diddy has one and now cube

The Predator

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 04:44:27 AM »
N.W.A. representing and a shout out of for Eazy too, cool.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 04:50:40 AM by The Predator »

WestWestYA

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 06:28:23 AM »

B.A.

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 07:47:08 PM »
Nope
Not yet

I remember diddy has one and now cube

How the fuck did Puffy get on before Cube??? He has nowhere near the music catalog that Ice Cube has (shit 95% of rappers don't) and when it comes to movies, Puff ain't done shit, Cube got classics under his belt. That's crazy that Puffy got one first.:loco: But anyways, enough hating on Diddy lol, congratulations Cube, he's on a roll right now. 8)
"Lyrics aint nothin' if the beat aint crackin' and knees be smackin', that's why the G's keep stackin'" - DJ Quik

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 08:48:45 PM »
well deserved...good to see nwa and wc out there wit him too

The following users thanked this post: RoscoeOutlaw

b.laden

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 03:31:50 AM »
from burn hollywood burn to a star on hollywood walk of fame ...

maybe kam was right and  i was wrong about kam ..

dnjp4life

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 03:58:11 AM »
Nice one Ice Cube.  Good to see he got support from other rap vets too.
I would have thought Dr. Dre would have had a star by now, or even N.W.A for that matter.

Westdog

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 10:26:48 AM »
Rapper is know as Pittbull has star too!!! For what?)))
This my town, I run it, you walk it
You just now learnin’ the game, I taught it

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 01:08:44 PM »
At first he was like  :rant: then he was like  :kiss2:

2Relevant

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 03:07:48 PM »
best choice he ever made was leaving hip hop and start making movies he would've shared the same fate as his peers washed up and irrelevant congrats to cube

midwestryder

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 06:04:17 PM »
best choice he ever made was leaving hip hop and start making movies he would've shared the same fate as his peers washed up and irrelevant congrats to cube
it is fact Ice cube never left hip hop. so you sound stupid as hell .   Ice cube and peers will never be washed up or irrelevant when it comes to hip hop

The following users thanked this post: Sccit

2Relevant

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 07:29:59 PM »
it is fact Ice cube never left hip hop. so you sound stupid as hell .   Ice cube and peers will never be washed up or irrelevant when it comes to hip hop

link me some other site where people are talking bout ice cube the rapper or mc 8 lol ;D