Author Topic: MC Eiht Interview  (Read 700 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
MC Eiht Interview
« on: June 16, 2017, 10:44:48 PM »
http://www.illuminati2g.com/untouchable/2017/06/16/mc-eiht-interview-eiht0eiht/

The legendary interviews keep coming on I2G and today we have Compton legend, MC Eiht for a interview. we discuss his new upcoming album, Which Way Iz West, dropping June 30th, his thoughts on west coast hip hop, the popularity of his signature Geah and much more so check it out.

I2G:
All right. We’re here with the one and only MC Eiht. How’s it going, man?

Eiht:
What’s cracking, people?

I2G:
Not too much. All right, let’s get into it. “Which Way iz West,” new album getting ready to drop on June 30th. It seemed like the album kind of had a few release dates here and there. What was the delay or the, just the delay in the album in it coming out?

Eiht:
Well, shoot, basically just trying you get it perfected. You know what I’m saying? You know, I’m real particular on trying to put out the best quality and the best music. Over the last couple of years it’s been projected to come out here and there and here and there, and I’ll go back to the drawing board because me and Premier, we’re perfectionists, man. We just want to make sure, you know since I hadn’t done a record in a while, we just wanted to make sure that the quality was up to par and the music and all that.
Then a lot of people were skeptical about the project or whatever, but once they started hearing it and once everybody got a hold to it and the distributors and all that, everybody kind of got a little excited. They wanted to push it back this time so they could set it up properly, get the interviews going, get the videos cracking. Just trying to do it right, you know what I’m saying?

I2G:
That leads into my next question, working with Brenk Sinatra and DJ Premier, what was that like working with those guys, those producers, on a project as opposed to maybe working with Chill or other producers you’ve worked with in the past, as far as working on this album?

Eiht:
Well basically through the times, the times that basically as far as music is concerned has changed a little bit. I wanted to keep that old school flavor that people are known from MC Eiht Compton’s Most Wanted as far as the music is concerned. With dealing with Brenk, he was a young, cat who was hungry that I had been knowing over the years. He knew my music rom back in the days and he’s one of those cats who knows what’s going on now. I enlisted him to do production because he was a cat that I wouldn’t have to sit down and guide and basically have to try to come up with shit. Basically he knew my flavor and he’s one of those cats who loves the foundation of old school music, and old school hip-hop.

As Premier is concerned, that was just, Premier’s a dude I’ve been knowing over 20 years in the music business, and I’ve always respected Premier as far as the DJ is concerned, and as a producer. He is a well sought-out producer and DJ and he’s in the clubs, and he has an ear to music and knows what’s going on now. Just by fucking with Premier, me and him had always worked in the past already, as far as with Black Poet or when I would sign the song. We’ve always had a working relationship since I’ve started in hip-hop. He was one I wanted to enlist to do some music, and basically he had called me first to get on the Black Poet Remix. After that me and him just stayed in touch and started creating together, and that’s how everything came about.

I2G:
Now, “Compton Zoo” just recently came out as a single, and “Represent Like This,” a video is out for that. Is there any additional singles or videos that are ready to drop from the album?

Eiht:
“Compton Zoo” should drop this week. I’m probably going to say Friday or Saturday the video’s going to drop. Then we’re going to go ahead and release the record on June 30th. I don’t know what single we’re going to do after that. We’ve been discussing it, and we’re going to all sit at the table and figure out what’s best next to release as a single and video, but after we drop “Compton Zoo” we’re going to go ahead and drop the album.

I2G:
Ok, and you also have your Blue Stamp imprint. Are you currently working with any artists on the label, or any other projects that are set to drop from that?

Eiht:
Basically I’m working on “Which Way iz West Vol. 2” and then I’m working on the next CMW record. Those are the next two projects that Blue Stamp is working on right there. Then Chill has got a project in the works too that we’re going to try to cross-collab or joint enter with, you know? Work on his project. We’ve got some things working. We’re looking at new artists, we’re looking at young artists, old artists. We’re just trying to keep it alive. The new imprint is about just trying to keep hip-hop loyal and secure. You know what I’m saying.

I2G:
Ok, and we’re also now at the 25th anniversary of Compton’s Most Wanted “Music to Driveby.” That’s probably my favorite Compton’s Most Wanted album. Is there maybe some good memories that you have and just kind of looking back 25 years later on the album, maybe some good memories, or studio memories that you have from creating that project that stick out to you?

Eiht:
I mean, to me that was like the first project where it was kind of worldwide for us and we got to tour and go overseas. We just basically created a, it was the first time I felt like I could breathe as far as concerned, with not with contracts, and dealing with labels, and crooked entities, and people stealing money, and all that type of junk. I think “Music to Driveby” was a good album because it did allow me to put my input. It was the first time I started producing, and it was the first time that we were able to control the project, me and Slip, and do what we wanted to do. We were able to just connect with the homies and stuff like that. That record always brings fond memories and good memories because it was the first time I was able, as a producer and executive producer, to be able to control my own project.

I2G:
Yeah, I was just playing “N 2 Deep” this morning. That’s a classic, you and Scarface.

Eiht:
Oh yeah, I just got to perform in that song in St. Louis. We did a show this weekend. It’s always good to perform shit on “Music to Driveby” too because this project, certain projects connect with the people, resinate with the fans or whatever. You can always tell when you do certain songs off of certain projects what was popular and what wasn’t. “N 2 Deep” is always one of those songs I could throw on where people are always with it.

I2G:
Ok. All right, we’re now about halfway through 2017. I just wanted to get your thoughts, maybe on hip-hop in general in 2017. Mainly music from the west coast. I still feel like it almost is like back to the 80’s and 90’s again. We’ve got a lot of artists from Compton again, yourself, Kendrick, DJ Quik and Problem just dropped their Rosecrans album. What’s your thoughts right now on what hip-hop has come to now in 2017, and where do you think it’s headed?

Eiht:
I mean, as far as Compton hip-hop is concerned, it’s looking good. We try to sustain the foundation of Compton, with Kendrick being at first with “DNA” we sustain both sides of the fence. With his trying to be so conscious with rap, but then not forgetting his roots of where he came from. I think that’s a good big look. As far as Quik and Problem with their Rosecrans project, I got two songs on there as well. We’re just trying to basically, like I said, we’re just trying to sustain the foundation of Compton rap and just hip-hop on the west coast in general. A lot of fans, what I’m hearing is, we’re not creating or doing what people know for us to do. For us to be able to just come out and be relevant right now, and the fans respect what we’re doing, and it’s got that feel of the 80’s and 90’s with the music because it’s what we do. We’re not trying to conform to what everybody else is doing just to stay relevant. I think it’s giving us a real good look right now.

I2G:
Ok. Absolutely, absolutely. All right, over the years and especially, you’ve always had your own timeless voice, and you can always tell an MC Eiht track is on, right at the first word that comes out of your mouth. Did you ever think the word “Geah” would be as big as it is now? I was listening to a track with Snoop and KRS and KRS was saying “Geah” and Jay-Z has said it, and there have been countless artists that use that almost, it almost is the same vernacular slang, almost what E-40, things that E-40 says, in everybody’s every day slang. Did you ever think that that word would get as big as it is right now?

Eiht:
I mean, no. I was just a young knucklehead from Compton who was rapping in the garage on TDK tapes. I just flipped the word Geah just to be somebody, just to be different on the TDK tape. I didn’t think it would be to the point to where it would be some international slang word to where people use it and say it. I don’t look for the recognition because people who know, know where it came from, or where they hear it from, or where it originated from. I don’t look for the recognition and accolades, but it’s a good thing to see that something that I was doing back in who knows when, back when hip-hop was some turntables and a mic in a garage and in the park type of rapping. I was saying Geah back then, that is just used as a slang word for vocabulary today. It’s a good thing.

I2G:
Yeah, you can google the word Geah, that’s crazy to me. I say it all the time thanks to you. (laughs)

Eiht:
Respect. That’s how I look at it. I don’t look at it as biting or stealing or whatever. I just look at it as a respect. That I could contribute something to hip-hop that everybody could be involved with.

I2G:
Absolutely, absolutely. Now you mentioned a previous show in St. Louis. Do you have anymore additional shows or tour dates or anything coming up that you want us to know about?

Eiht:
Yeah, I got a show, I’m getting down this weekend with WC he’s got a show this Saturday. Then my man Premier is coming to town Sunday and I’ve got to go get down with him on Sunday. I’m making moves right now. Shows are coming up. The album is getting ready to drop. Just hoping that it’s a good project for people to enjoy, and successful, and we can get out here on this road and do these shows for these fans that are looking for some good music.

I2G:
All right well that’s all the questions I have of you. Appreciate you getting down for an interview. Definitely looking forward to the new album. Is there any last words or shout outs you want to get out to the people?

Eiht:
For sure, just peep me out, you know you all can reach me on all the social media sites. I reply to all my fans. Be sure to pick up the new single that’s out, “Compton Zoo,” the new record will be out, “Which Way iz West” June 30th, Geah.

The following users thanked this post: midwestryder, Marco