Author Topic: RIP PRODIGY  (Read 3405 times)

The Predator

Re: RIP PRODIGY
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2017, 02:04:41 AM »
RIP PRODIGY OF MOBB DEEP, ONE OF THE GREATEST RAPPERS OF ALL TIME
BY CORMEGA

On June 20, I received a text from a friend asking me if Prodigy was dead. I looked at my phone with disgust, assuming it was baseless gossip. But just to make sure, I searched online. I found nothing. Then I got another text asking the same thing. I thought this was all a tasteless joke until more texts came and someone sent me a screenshot of TMZ saying Prodigy had died. By then I was in my car and felt so terrible I thought I might crash. I pulled over and let my daughter go into a store as a plethora of thoughts went through my mind. To the world, Prodigy, one of the greatest rappers of all time, had passed away at the age of 42. But I lost someone I knew, someone I had shared stages with. He would never say “what up thun” as he did when we saw each other. News of his death left me uneasy, but also made me grateful for the time we spent together and the music we made.

I met Prodigy in the early '90s when he was a teenage rapper eager to make a name for himself. He lived in Long Island but would come to Queensbridge to see Havoc—his eventual partner in the group Mobb Deep. We were all trying to succeed it in the rap game, but they worked harder than I did. They were doing everything they could to ensure their success.

I admired their determination. But I was caught up in the street life that would inevitably send me on an up north trip to Midstate. During my years away, Mobb Deep developed into a formidable ‎duo. One day, while I was in prison and watching television, I caught a video of “Shook One’s,” the hit single of Mobb Deep’s The Infamous LP. I felt proud to know them, proud that the seeds they had planted had blossomed into something wild and exciting. It was also amazing to see so many familiar faces in the video, which was filmed on the same streets we represented. Mobb Deep had made it. They was “on” as we would say when someone succeeds.

When I came home, Prodigy and Havoc were in their prime and P invited me to one of their shows in Orchard Beach. The crowd was insane. I couldn’t believe the effect they had on people, and soon after I noticed everyone in New York was bumping their music. The Infamous, helped solidify Queensbridge as the epicenter of hip-hop.

Not long after the show, I joined P in the studio while he and Havoc worked on their next album, Hell on Earth. Their first record was a classic, but I could tell they were setting an even higher standard on this project.

The song that stands out most to me as an MC is “Apostle’s Warning.” Prodigy’s lyrics on the track are some of the best I've ever heard. Period. If anyone doubted he could rhyme, they didn’t anymore. His words were punctuated by Havoc’s production, which established him as one of the most talented beat makers in the game. ‎

Over the next few years, the group continued to grow, and I was happy to see Prodigy succeed—not only as a rapper but as a man. Sometimes we care more about what a person can do than who they actually are. Beyond music, P was a dreamer, a dedicated father and an inquisitive mind who always questioned convention. He was prepared for death before any of us—perhaps because of his illness, sickle cell anemia. As a consequence, he knew he might not have long on this earth. And his demeanor and drive reflected the determination of a man who not only valued time, but was also unwilling to take it for granted. His quest for greatness was not a fruitless journey and he was eager to share what he accomplished with his people.

In 1999, when Mobb Deep was working on the album Murda Muzik in Miami, P and Havoc gave me the opportunity to appear on a track. At the time I was disillusioned with the music industry. I gave in to the allure of a life I thought I had sworn off. This was my chance to escape that lifestyle, once and for all. I knew I had to kill it. The song was called "What's Your Poison," and I recorded my verse, hoping the track would eventually make the album.

It did, and I was proud. As artists, we’re often competitive, but we’re also fans of each other and I was honored to appear with Havoc and P. “Murda Muzik” went on to become Mobb Deep’s biggest selling record and I got my first platinum plaque as a result.

Later, Prodigy called me to say he was trying to work with Priority Records. The label said if he could get Cormega signed, they would give him his own imprint, Infamous Records. So P asked me and I said “Let’s do it. Just make sure i get a nice car.” The deal never came to fruition, because Priority went through restructuring, but I was there for Prodigy when he needed me as he was with me.

In 2001, I released my first album, The Realness, independently, and Prodigy appeared on two tracks, one solo and one with Havoc. The album gained critical acclaim, and from there, my career took off.‎

Over the years, Prodigy and I had valleys and peaks, but I can say this sincerely—with God as my witness—I loved him. And I’ll always feel honored that we made music together and be grateful for the things he did for me.

Born and raised in New York City, Cormega (@iamcormega) is a hip-hop artist who has released five albums, including his latest Mega Philosophy. His first book,Understanding the True Meaning, comes out on July 7.

The following users thanked this post: Marco

The Predator

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2017, 12:37:21 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ygFvRhfTyL4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ygFvRhfTyL4</a>

The following users thanked this post: Blood$

Okka

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2017, 08:41:29 AM »
I still can't believe that Prodigy is gone. This hit me hard like when Nate Dogg passed away. Life is crazy.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:35:22 AM by Okka »

sav

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2017, 06:41:50 PM »
I still can't believe that Prodigy is gone. This hit me hard like when Nate Dogg passed away. Life is crazy.

Blood$

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2017, 02:15:04 PM »

agreed

in my time living I would say the most impactful hip-hop losses that actually affected me were Pimp C, Nate Dogg, and Prodigy... dudes I've literally been listening to majority of my life

Sccit

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2017, 06:11:23 PM »
they defaced his mural

Marco

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2017, 07:17:56 PM »
Mobb Deep's Prodigy Reportedly Died From An Accidental Choking

LAS VEGAS, NV – The Clark County Medical Examiner has reportedly determined Prodigy didn’t die from sickle cell anemia, a condition the Queensbridge native had battled since he was a kid. After completing the investigation into the Mobb Deep MC’s June 20 death, the coroner ruled he died from an accidental choking.

Prodigy was in a Las Vegas hospital when he reportedly choked on an egg. He was being treated for a sickle cell flare-up after performing in the sweltering Nevada heat during the Art Of Rap music festival alongside acts such as KRS-One and EPMD.

The Hip Hop luminary was 42 at the time of his death. His funeral service was held on June 29 in New York City and was attended by fellow Mobb Deep member Havoc, LL Cool J, Ice-T, 50 Cent, Questlove, Remy Ma, Fat Joe and countless others.

(The original version of this article was published on June 20, 2017 and can found below.)

Hip Hop just took a major blow after learning the one and only Prodigy of Mobb Deep was found dead in Las Vegas, according to multiple sources. The veteran MC was 42. He had reportedly suffered from health problems for years, including sickle cell anemia, but at this time, no official cause of death is known.

A statement from Prodigy’s rep obtained by read:

“It is with extreme sadness and disbelief that we confirm the death of our dear friend Albert Johnson, better known to millions of fans as Prodigy of legendary NY rap duo Mobb Deep. Prodigy was hospitalized a few days ago in Vegas after a Mobb Deep performance for complications caused by a sickle cell anemia crisis. As most of his fans know, Prodigy battled the disease since birth. The exact causes of death have yet to be determined. We would like to thank everyone for respecting the family’s privacy at this time.”

Prodigy was in Vegas over the weekend performing on The Art of Rap Tour alongside Ghostface Killah, Onyx, KRS-One and the festival’s founder, Ice-T. Mobb Deep performed on Saturday night (June 17).

R.I.P. P.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 07:20:18 PM by Marco »
West Coast Connection // www.dubcnn.com/connect // West Coast Connection

Blood$

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2017, 10:40:54 PM »
he was murdered