Author Topic: Nate Dogg G Funk Classics Question  (Read 4374 times)

briantamaki69

• Lil Geezy
Nate Dogg G Funk Classics Question
« on: July 07, 2017, 01:57:36 AM »
Hey found a copy of G Funk Classics but it wasn't the 98 double disc released in 1998 but a disc saying it was from death row 1997. Have a pic here of it wanted to know if anyone knew about this as I heard the Death Row release was shelved [/URL] [/img]

briantamaki69

• Lil Geezy
Re: Nate Dogg G Funk Classics Question
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 02:01:47 AM »

hrsmn_london

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 06:34:07 AM »
DR released it, but took it off shelves when Nate left label.

I have a copy, too.

briantamaki69

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 04:33:25 PM »
Oh crazy do you know how much they are worth

briantamaki69

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 04:33:37 PM »

dnjp4life

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 12:33:15 PM »

I have a copy also, and I'm guessing many on here do too.

It is a rare-ish version of the album, and getting more hard to find I suppose, but we're not talking super rare here.

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 10:33:34 PM »
It's not that rare, I have 2 copies, 1 sealed

Okka

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 02:11:32 PM »

Really? I couldn't find it on eBay. Or are you talkin' about the re-release of the first volume?

HighEyeCue

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 09:01:24 PM »

Really? I couldn't find it on eBay. Or are you talkin' about the re-release of the first volume?

Discogs has 3 copies available right now

https://www.discogs.com/Nate-Dogg-G-Funk-Classics-Vol-1/release/996030

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 11:23:17 PM »

Does this answer your question

Okka

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 11:44:57 PM »
Yeah, that's the original version. Nice.

dnjp4life

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 07:46:31 AM »
I've always wanted to know what the deal is with this version of G-Funk Classics. 

Clearly it was released as a way to get back at Nate Dogg for leaving Death Row Records because it was only available for a short time before being pulled from sale, presumably due to Nate's new record label issuing a cease and desist or something to that effect (I understand that Nate Dogg took all of his publishing rights and unreleased music with him to his new record label).

I mean, the album was probably due to be officially released sometime in 1996, perhaps in the winter following 'The 7 Day Theory' and 'Tha Doggfather', but when it was clear that Nate wanted off of the label, they put it out quickly and with no fanfare just to spite him.  Can it therefore be counted as an official Death Row Records album?

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 06:33:16 AM »
This is the first I'm hearing of this album actually being released on shelves.  I figured there might be a promo copy sent out for publicity but I doubt it found its way to the shelves of Best Buy or Camelot music.  I think it's just a promo.  And it may be legit, rather than something to spite Nate
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 06:42:37 AM »
This is the first I'm hearing of this album actually being released on shelves.  I figured there might be a promo copy sent out for publicity but I doubt it found its way to the shelves of Best Buy or Camelot music.  I think it's just a promo.  And it may be legit, rather than something to spite Nate

I don't think it ever officially hit shelves anywhere.  I was at Best Buy the Tuesday it was supposed to come out (it was in their Sunday ad and everything) and it was never on the shelves and they said they never got it in.  Checked a bunch of other usual places and was the same story.  I ended up getting a couple copies from a dude online who got a whole case of them.  The albums circulating are definitely not promos, they are fully pressed with booklet, artwork and everything.  I am 100% positive these had every intention of being sold in retail stores.   

I think the story is it was pressed, ready to go and either ready to ship or actually did ship, but Nate had left Death Row by that point and there was a legal mess so there was a recall on the albums.  Some of the stores that broke street dates and put albums out early might have put them out (speculation as I never saw any), but most of the major retailers did not.

So my theory is these cases of CDs never left the warehouses to be shipped and some people intercepted them or got early cases and hung on to them and sold them years later to collectors.  I've seen pictures of people over the years having cases and cases of them.

I'd say definitely rare, but still easily obtainable with a little work (remember rarity does not always equate to high value).  The average consumer would never have one, but most Nate Dogg and music collectors most likely have one, so in turn, I don't think the price on these has moved up very much. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:47:22 AM by Soopafly DPGC »

TEHA

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 09:53:27 AM »
So my theory is these cases of CDs never left the warehouses to be shipped and some people intercepted them or got early cases and hung on to them and sold them years later to collectors.  I've seen pictures of people over the years having cases and cases of them.
SORRY BUT UR THEORY IS BULL SHIT BRO ;) WHAT ABOUT WITH MAXI SINGLE FROM THIS ALBUM? THE SAME THEORY ;) ?