Author Topic: Dr. Dre Perfected G-Funk, But He Didn't Invent It—Gregory Hutchinson Did  (Read 1537 times)

sheparali

Was he mentioned in the Defiant Ones?

me1

Not once, but Above the Law was mentioned as an act on Ruthless

soopa-man

I guess it's a good way when f putting it, because when I listen to Black Mafia Life, The Chronic nor Doggystyle come to mind.  Dre sound is clean and comes through the speakers with ease and clarity for the music to flow through.  Black Mafia Life barely seeps through with all kinds of sounds rushing Through frantically.  Don't get me wrong but Hutch can cry about G Funk all he wants but that sound hasn't sold or been prominent for like 20 years so move on, Dre did.  Everyone says Dre stole they shit, Scott Storch bitches and plays on the piano at every interview he has replaying what he did on Dre's shit,  Scott starch hasn't made a dope beat that was a hit in a long time.  Maybe because Scott was using tracks he created with Dre.  He hasn't sounded like Dre/Storch since years after his fallout with him. All these guys fell off shortly after there days with Dre.  Dudes should have stayed humble, they would be closer to a billionaire instead of crying about old songs and replaying old shit like a vegas act

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
A lot of Eazy-Duz-It, Straight Outta Compton sounds like G-Funk to me, as does 100 Miles & Runnin (1990) & Efil4Zaggin, which also came out in '91.

But at the same time dunno why i'm bitching, not like i'm making a claim to have invented it..
Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

Okka

"Dope Man" came out in 1987 and that's G-Funk in my opinion. Even if Dre took ideas from Cold187Um, he did it better than anybody else. "Black Mafia Life" is a classic, but it's nowhere close to being as dope as "The Chronic".

dexter

"Dope Man" came out in 1987 and that's G-Funk in my opinion. Even if Dre took ideas from Cold187Um, he did it better than anybody else. "Black Mafia Life" is a classic, but it's nowhere close to being as dope as "The Chronic".
true 1987

me1

Agree, BML not in the same universe as Chronic. Mixing, production, song writing. Not even close and l love ATL.

To me, Uncle Sam's Curse was easily ATL's best work

dnjp4life

It could have been a lot different to how it all turned out though.

Don't forget that Above The Law were looking to sign Snoop Dogg, Warren G was hanging with them around this time, who knows, maybe Nate Dogg and Tha Dogg Pound might eventually have found their way to Ruthless Records.

In that respect I can sympathise with Big Hutch because Dre in the long run became the bigger, more well-known and commercially successful producer.