Author Topic: "The Cbronic" Isnt G-Funk  (Read 4145 times)

123imagee

"The Cbronic" Isnt G-Funk
« on: September 24, 2017, 03:28:20 AM »
Only Songs Like Lil Ghetto Boy Fall Into The Category Of G-Funk, The Rest Was Hardcore Gangsta Rap, NOT G-Funk

Not To Mention Different People Like Warren G, Porkchop,Chocolate, The Glove, Royal Gregski, etc. Adding The G Flava To The Album

dj coma

Re: "The Cbronic" Isnt G-Funk
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 01:55:02 PM »
The fuck? Lil Ghetto Boy is the least g-funk sounding song on the album.

The following users thanked this post: Hack Wilson - real

HighEyeCue

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 03:37:32 PM »
it is G-Funk... in fact along with Above The Law's "Livin Like Hustlaz" were the first albums to introduce it

is it the most G-funk sounding album ever? you might have an argument there 

The following users thanked this post: midwestryder

dnjp4life

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 12:50:18 PM »
The beats sampled and interpolated funk and soul tracks from the 70s (and 80s?), and the raps were gangsta themed - most definitely g-funk, no argument about it.

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 03:29:11 PM »
lol people still don't know what gfunk is

Blood$

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 11:50:41 AM »
Only Songs Like Lil Ghetto Boy Fall Into The Category Of G-Funk, The Rest Was Hardcore Gangsta Rap, NOT G-Funk

Not To Mention Different People Like Warren G, Porkchop,Chocolate, The Glove, Royal Gregski, etc. Adding The G Flava To The Album

Are u a Fag? Like for real? Why da fuck are you thinking about a Bi-sexual Rapper named faggot Dre? So this means you're clearly a Faggot because you killing your damaged brain and open a topic about that fag...

quality posts.

bouli77

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 12:39:01 PM »
Deeez Nuuuts is the epitome of classic G-Funk.

a lot of songs don't have the smooth and refined sound of "heyday" G-Funk (for instance Conversation) and have a more rugged sound which relies heavily on breakbeats (the day niggaz took over, a nigga witta gun, lyrical gang bang, high powered, stranded on Death Row). and even still in these songs you can hear the G-Funk hints and hues here and there.

however you definitely have textbook G-Funk cuts : Let Me Ride, Nuthin But a G-Thang, Deeez Nuuuts, the outro,

dexter

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 01:35:35 PM »
Are u a Fag? Like for real? Why da fuck are you thinking about a Bi-sexual Rapper named faggot Dre? So this means you're clearly a Faggot because you killing your damaged brain and open a topic about that fag...
you are a homo  GAY FISH

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 08:45:28 AM »
a lot of songs don't have the smooth and refined sound of "heyday" G-Funk (for instance Conversation) and have a more rugged sound which relies heavily on breakbeats

This is more or less how I distinguish between the Compton sound and the Long Beach sound.  I mean, there was the overall umbrella term "G-Funk," but there were different types of subgenres within G-Funk, and the sound that came out of Long Beach (epitomized most prominently by Warren G) is quite different from Dre and Quik's sound at the time, imo, (which was harder, less smooth), which was altogether different still from the sound emanating from the Bay (e.g. Spice 1, e-40).
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

BIGWORM

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 07:27:26 PM »
^Bay area's style was called "mobb muzik". Spice-1 Amerikkka's Nightmare had a cpl G-Funk sounding tracks on it.

G-Funk goes beyond just sampling or sounding like George Clinton or Zapp.

If you guy's consider that only "G-Funk" tip your hats off to
Eric Sermon/EPMD because he was pretty much the first to go all out doing it.

The Chronic is most defiantly G-Funk....

Sccit

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 11:08:51 PM »
^Bay area's style was called "mobb muzik". Spice-1 Amerikkka's Nightmare had a cpl G-Funk sounding tracks on it.

The Chronic is most defiantly G-Funk....

theres no G in EPMD because it wasnt gangsta rap

bouli77

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 06:51:00 AM »
a lot of songs don't have the smooth and refined sound of "heyday" G-Funk (for instance Conversation) and have a more rugged sound which relies heavily on breakbeats

This is more or less how I distinguish between the Compton sound and the Long Beach sound.  I mean, there was the overall umbrella term "G-Funk," but there were different types of subgenres within G-Funk, and the sound that came out of Long Beach (epitomized most prominently by Warren G) is quite different from Dre and Quik's sound at the time, imo, (which was harder, less smooth), which was altogether different still from the sound emanating from the Bay (e.g. Spice 1, e-40).

your argument fits nicely into mine actually. I agree with you about the various subgenres and the smoother type of G-FUnk coming from Long Beach. but that type of smooth G-Funk emerged a little bit later on, and that's what I refer by "heyday G-Funk". Quik Is the Name had a more rugged sound as well but Quik's style evolved with the time and became smoother and more refined, relying more on live instrumentations (and borrowing from other genres like jazz, reggae, etc.). so we see it's not only Compton VS Long Beach.

It goes definitely beyond that, it's how it's sampled and a greater emphasis on production. the mixing is different too. and as Scitt said, the overall themes. but Erick Sermon later produced music that can be considered G-Funk and was one of the main east coast artists to be featured on and collaborate on a regular basis with west coast acts (Kam, Ice Cube, Too $hort, Quik, Xzibit, etc.)

as for Mobb Music,  i'd say it's a cousin genre. similar inspirations (artists sampled or interpolated), similar vibes, similar melodic approach but different techniques, drums and sounds. but as I said, a lot of similarities too (use of live musicians). there's many subgenres within what became known as mobb music, too. the local scenes (Richmond, EPA, Vallejo, Oakland) had distinct sounds from one another. and on many albums you had typical G-Funk sounding songs (for example Something to Ride To or the Hidden Track on Sean T's Pimp Lyrics & Dollar Signs, Another Funky Verse on D-Moe's first album, Ain't No Love on 1990-Sick, Peace to My Nine on Spice One etc.). and you got songs that have both a G-Funk & Mob sound (Dubee's My Thang).

Okka

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 08:02:16 AM »
I think we should just ban Tha Psycho Hustla from this forum FOREVER.

Sccit

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 10:21:13 AM »

i would but he does provide entertainment so i kinda look forward to his funnystyle posts.

Okka

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 11:59:26 AM »

i would but he does provide entertainment so i kinda look forward to his funnystyle posts.

Yeah, i guess he's a part of DubCC.