Author Topic: Big K.R.I.T. - 4Eva Is A Mighty Long Time (Discussion Thread)  (Read 2390 times)

bouli77

Re: Big K.R.I.T. - 4Eva Is A Mighty Long Time (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 12:08:06 AM »
Bruh, the range of music he can make is insane.

that's an understatement lol

if Def Jam knew how to market him better when they still had him he would easily be in the same conversations with Kendrick and J. Cole by now, shit to me he's a more complete and better overall artist than both of them

I'm a huge Krit fan but it's not only a question of marketing, it's also a question of musical direction and consistency.

None of his albums come close to a GKMC, a TPAB, or a 2014FHD. Ever since his first Def Jam album (Live from the Underground), his albums have been inconsistent. Also Krit is a poet and a good rapper, but nowhere near as dope as Cole & Kendrick. He's a doper producer for sure (although Cole is a good producer too), but the reason he's not in the same conversation as Cole & Dot is not only marketing (although it plays a factor because you get many overrated artists, with the right marketing push, popping up in these conversations), but the type of artists these kind of conversations feature in the first place. The criteria rarely feature production skills. The major criteria for these kind of questions are : skills, longevity, and classic releases. To me, Krit doesn't have a classic release except Return of 4eva and that was an independent release.

Sccit

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 12:50:12 AM »

if Def Jam knew how to market him better when they still had him he would easily be in the same conversations with Kendrick and J. Cole by now, shit to me he's a more complete and better overall artist than both of them

I'm a huge Krit fan but it's not only a question of marketing, it's also a question of musical direction and consistency.

None of his albums come close to a GKMC, a TPAB, or a 2014FHD. Ever since his first Def Jam album (Live from the Underground), his albums have been inconsistent. Also Krit is a poet and a good rapper, but nowhere near as dope as Cole & Kendrick. He's a doper producer for sure (although Cole is a good producer too), but the reason he's not in the same conversation as Cole & Dot is not only marketing (although it plays a factor because you get many overrated artists, with the right marketing push, popping up in these conversations), but the type of artists these kind of conversations feature in the first place. The criteria rarely feature production skills. The major criteria for these kind of questions are : skills, longevity, and classic releases. To me, Krit doesn't have a classic release except Return of 4eva and that was an independent release.

i disagree, i think krit is def up there wit kendrick and better than cole .... his best albums rank up there too. the fact that he produces his own shit is the icing on the cake.

bouli77

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 08:31:30 AM »
what are his best albums in your opinion ?

Sccit

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 08:58:57 AM »
krit wuz here and i think live from the underground was underrated .. haven't heard the new one yet.

Blood$

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 11:07:23 AM »

in no order these are my top 3 (I can't rank his new album just yet):

Return Of 4Eva
4Eva & A Day
Cadillactica

I think the main factor why Krit's indie releases are better is because he was unable to clear many samples for his Def Jam releases which is something he has even addressed, similar to how UGK's first 2 albums were good but could have been classic if certain samples were simply usable and the production wasn't stripped down 

Blood$

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 11:09:51 AM »
krit wuz here and i think live from the underground was underrated .. haven't heard the new one yet.

I like Krit Wuz here and that seems to be favored by many, but I think he's evolved a lot since then with stronger releases... I do agree on Live From The Underground being underrated, initially after the first listen when it dropped I remember desiring more but as time has passed that album did age pretty well

The following users thanked this post: midwestryder

Sccit

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2017, 11:13:37 AM »

in no order these are my top 3 (I can't rank his new album just yet):

Return Of 4Eva
4Eva & A Day
Cadillactica

I think the main factor why Krit's indie releases are better is because he was unable to clear many samples for his Def Jam releases which is something he has even addressed, similar to how UGK's first 2 albums were good but could have been classic if certain samples were simply usable and the production wasn't stripped down

cadillactica is up there as well

Sccit

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2017, 10:14:48 PM »
copped it today....i just got through disc one, it's pretty dope...wouldnt say its some of his best work, but def plays all the way through, like most krit projects.

The following users thanked this post: Blood$

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 08:15:55 PM »

Yeah, Def Jam is horrible lol. Hope Paul Rosenberg turns it around.

Sccit

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2017, 04:02:07 PM »
justin scott intro is like a hip hop great gig in the sky

Sccit

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2017, 02:01:46 PM »
finished with the second disc .. i like it, but i enjoyed disc 1 much more