Author Topic: Eminem - Revival (2017) (Official Discussion Thread)  (Read 9512 times)

BIGWORM

Re: Eminem - Revival (2017) (Official Discussion Thread)
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 09:27:38 PM »
album is trash hands down his worst to date.

the cover is what anyone that expected a half decent album did after listening to it. seems like he's trying to ruin himself on purpose. if this is the eminem that we will be seeing, he needs to hang it up.

it would be cool to see him do a project with Premo or Pete Rock and try to bring it back to the essence of real hip hop.

get off the Methadone homie.

Sccit

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 09:32:31 PM »
not guna check

Come on dawg, of all people your gonna hate on this?

Alright anyway without further ado here’s the official Infinite Review:

As per tradition, when a new Em album is released I do a full ride and perform an uninterrupted listen front to back.  Yes that’s right, I’m old enough (35) that I even had my driver’s Liscence the day Slim Shady LP dropped and as a loyal Dre fan I’d embraced Em before even hearing a verse I was on board.  That said I’m not a complete rubber stamp.  I didn’t like Encore, Relapse, or Recovery—though I never dissed Em over it cause I felt by the time of 8 Mile he’d already done all he’d needed to do—with “Lose Yourself” being his swan song and walk into the twilight.

Then he came back with a fury on MMLP2 and had some other scattered gems like “Guts Over Fear”, or “Where I’m At” that would pop up every now and then and show he could still achieve his old standard.

Upon first listen I must admit I don’t think there is any song on this album that reaches his prime—and there was a lull in the album where I almost lost faith in the new album. But I salvaged enough out of it to compile an EP’s worth of solid material with the possibility of growing into classic shit.

Here’s the tracks that make the cut:

1. “Revival” Interlude-   Strangely this is actually the best song on the whole album and it’s not even a full song, and Em isn’t even on it...hope a full version surfaces at some point.  For now it serves as a beautiful and uplifting interlude.

2.  “Believe” - this song is updated to the current sound that’s popular in hip hop but still hits you over the fuckin head and is vintage Em spitting.  (I even sensed some strange hint of a No Limit Master P vibe (and I mean that in a good way) but whatever it works.

3.  “Arose” - this song is beautiful but it’s kind of like cheating cause it relies heavily on a classic Bette Miller sample.  (A song my first girlfriend actually sung at a 6th grade assembly and used to rehearse in front of me in her bedroom.  Hard for me not to like). But for Em’s part he raps from the perspective of the time he overdosed and almost died in that post Proof dying phase of his life.

4. “In Your Head” - Again a good song, but he’s kind of cheating, relying heavily on the sampling of an already classic song.

5.  “Tragic Endings” - him and Skylar Grey do have a chemistry and her voice is infectious.  I have to admit I like these two together.  I’ve liked her since I first heard her on “Where’d You Go” with Fort Minor.  I know it’s pop meets rap, but how could you not love that beautiful song.  Track is a bit like other good duets from them in the past like “I Need A Doctor” and “Kill For You”.

6.  “Chloroseptic”  I believe this track is actually on some next shit.  It buzzes and hits you over the fuckin head.  In the same vein as “Believe” vintage Em spittin to a more current hip hop sound and it actually works.

7.  “Framed” - This song reminds me of that single from Relapse, that bizzare horror track “3 A.M.” he made a video for that was one of the few highlights this also would of fit as one of the few bangers on Relapse.  His spittin some off the wall shit like he used to—and it works.

8.  “Walk on Water” — this sounds almost accapella like the way battle rappers such as Dizaster would spit only it’s a very personal song—a little like the style he used on the BET Cipher.  The lyrics, thought, and talent behind them are all in a class of their own—that only Em exists in.

9. “Untouchable” - this one wins points mainly cause of its lyricism, timeliness—considering the current political climate.

10. “Nowhere Fast”  - this is another song that is kind of like a soul/pop song converted to rap—like “Monster” and quite a few others he’s been doing these days.  If you listen to Skylar Grey’s album it seems as if Em is heavily influenced by her sound.  She’s not on this track, it’s a different girl but still a similar sound and vibe.  This seems to be the sound he prefers.  Maybe it’s a grower.

—So 10 solid tracks.  I’d say that’s good enough?  At worst, you got a few gems/bangers—and at best it’s ahead of our ears and could grow into a classic.

from the feature list and the single i just don’t see how i’ll enjoy it .. looks like another recovery to me, am i wrong

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 11:28:10 PM »
I will try to give it a deep listen but so far it's one of the worst album Ive heard this year!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 01:36:50 AM by Dogg Ly Dogg »

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 12:37:20 AM »

from the feature list and the single i just don’t see how i’ll enjoy it .. looks like another recovery to me, am i wrong

If that’s how you feel then just take one track—“Believe”.  Hop in your ride and turn them shits up on blast...let that shit soak in for a bit and if that sells you then do the same with “Cloreseptic” if your still in a zone then give “Arose” a try.

Then at that point I will admit that if you don’t like the Skylar Grey “I Need A Doctor” sound the album might not have a chance but try getting through those 3 tracks and you’ve got a chance of liking an EP’s worth of the album.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:39:39 AM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

dnjp4life

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 03:54:07 AM »
I bought the album yesterday and have listened to about half of it so far.  To me, a lot of it felt very familiar, as if it's a mixture of tracks from Recovery and the MMLP2 with the same or similar themes and choruses.  I have yet to hear a track that makes me think 'this is a banger' and will make me hit the rewind button.
19 tracks seems far too lengthy and I haven't even heard a large chunk of the album yet.  Of course I will listen to it in full a few times over for it to sink in, but at the moment I'm underwhelmed by the album.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 05:48:43 AM »
I bought the album yesterday and have listened to about half of it so far.  To me, a lot of it felt very familiar, as if it's a mixture of tracks from Recovery and the MMLP2 with the same or similar themes and choruses.  I have yet to hear a track that makes me think 'this is a banger' and will make me hit the rewind button.
19 tracks seems far too lengthy and I haven't even heard a large chunk of the album yet.  Of course I will listen to it in full a few times over for it to sink in, but at the moment I'm underwhelmed by the album.

Yeah I had the same impression.  It’s not as good as MMLP2 and nothing stands out on first listen as a certified banger.  But at least it seems better than Recovery and I want to give Em the benefit of the doubt that maybe it’s a bit ahead of our ears and may grow on us.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

HighEyeCue

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 06:12:06 AM »
the Fred Wreck track "Framed" is a banger 8)

the rest of the album is pretty much rock-rap and pop-rap with Rick Rubins and Alex Da Kids subpar production and the likes of the generic Skylar Grey

like I said before Ems worst album and one of the worst I have ever heard from a big name artist :-X

JohnnyL

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 06:47:11 AM »
Haven’t heard the album yet.  I’m waiting on my copy to get here from Amazon.com.  But after reading
some of the reviews and listening to Walk on Water and Untouchable, I have to admit that my interest
in this album is waning.  To me the Marshal Mathers LP 2 was a return to form for Eminem.  His lyrics and
delivery were the best they’d been in years and he didn’t have too many guest features (pop or otherwise)
on there.  It would be a shame if this new album is as bad as some are saying, when he could have gone
out on a high note with the MMLP2.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 06:47:48 AM »
the Fred Wreck track "Framed" is a banger 8)

the rest of the album is pretty much rock-rap and pop-rap with Rick Rubins and Alex Da Kids subpar production and the likes of the generic Skylar Grey

like I said before Ems worst album and one of the worst I have ever heard from a big name artist :-X

Interesting... didn’t know that was a Fred Wreck track—it’s dope and reminds me of “3 A.M.” without the accent.

Can someone post the producers of each track

Blood$

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 07:20:06 AM »
Boosie and Jeezy's albums > this weed plate

if you think otherwise your taste just flat out sucks and your rap pass needs revoked

Marco

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 08:00:57 AM »
Interesting... didn’t know that was a Fred Wreck track—it’s dope and reminds me of “3 A.M.” without the accent.

Can someone post the producers of each track

It's already on The Vault:
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=328376
West Coast Connection // www.dubcnn.com/connect // West Coast Connection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2017, 10:36:23 AM »
Okay I’m on the second thorough listen of this and though it relies heavily on a sample Em did finally come with a proper Proof dedication track.  “Arose” is the truth and the track we’ve been waiting for since Proof died.  He finally got it right—On second listen thru got to say this is the best track from the album.

Sccit

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2017, 11:00:59 AM »

If that’s how you feel then just take one track—“Believe”.  Hop in your ride and turn them shits up on blast...let that shit soak in for a bit and if that sells you then do the same with “Cloreseptic” if your still in a zone then give “Arose” a try.

Then at that point I will admit that if you don’t like the Skylar Grey “I Need A Doctor” sound the album might not have a chance but try getting through those 3 tracks and you’ve got a chance of liking an EP’s worth of the album.

i’ll check it out on the strength of this post but i’m going in expecting some sappy bullshit.. hope you’re right

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2017, 12:06:48 PM »
Boosie and Jeezy's albums > this weed plate

if you think otherwise your taste just flat out sucks and your rap pass needs revoked

This week's release:

AD > Trizz > BROCKHAMPTON > N.E.R.D. >  Jeezy & Boosie > G-Eazy > Eminem

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2017, 12:29:58 PM »

i’ll check it out on the strength of this post but i’m going in expecting some sappy bullshit.. hope you’re right

Actually bro... though I do encourage you to give the album a chance as a true fan—but no promises on this one...