Author Topic: Eminem - Revival (2017) (Official Discussion Thread)  (Read 9513 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Eminem - Revival (2017) (Official Discussion Thread)
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2017, 03:53:41 PM »
I'm convinced Eminem is deaf & can't hear himself over the beats. I'm still blown away how horrible this is.

Suga Foot

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2018, 09:24:38 AM »
He needs to stop working with Alex Da Kid and Rick Rubin.....And Dre needs to start making beats again.

The following users thanked this post: Sccit, Blood$, Marco

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2018, 03:43:02 PM »
He needs to stop working with Alex Da Kid and Rick Rubin.....And Dre needs to start making beats again.

Rubin has destroyed Em. He keeps grabbing hits from the 90's, throwing loud ass drums on them & have Em scream over it.

Okka

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2018, 10:03:36 AM »
I bought the album yesterday and have listened to about half of it so far.  To me, a lot of it felt very familiar, as if it's a mixture of tracks from Recovery and the MMLP2 with the same or similar themes and choruses.

Exactly how i'm feelin' right now listening to this for the first time.

I have yet to hear a track that makes me think 'this is a banger' and will make me hit the rewind button.

I like "Believe" and it's the only song i've listened to more than once.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2018, 04:24:24 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-pFpiM_QLNM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-pFpiM_QLNM</a>

Remix with 2 Chainz verse & a new Em verse.

How is Eminem's best verse leading up to the album & on the album the verse that comes out after the album? lmfao.

Who the fuck is running the Eminem machine? I blame Rick Rubin.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2018, 07:45:41 AM »
Okay so I was giving Em the benefit of the doubt that he was ahead of the curve on this one and my ears needed to catch up.

But with more time I’ve only became less enchanted with the album.  So I won’t be attempting to defend this project any more.  In fact I’m done listening to it and may put it down permanently the way I did Encore, Relapse, Recovery, I never kept those albums in my rotation. 

I will defend Em’s career though and just say the guy has already done enough in this game and so anything else get from him since 8 Mile should be taken as icing on the cake. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 07:48:21 AM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

JohnnyL

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2018, 10:11:37 AM »
I really think that if they took the Rick Rubin tracks off, the album would be listenable ( Except the last track on the album.  That one turned out good, for some reason).  I think lyrically, Em is as good as he’s ever been, but some of the tracks on here, the production is so bad no amount of lyrical ability could save them.  On my first listen through, when it got to the track that samples “I Love Rock and Roll,” I couldn’t believe how much it sounded like “Berzerk” from “The Marshal Mathers 2 LP.”  Then when I got to the song “Heat,” I thought at first that I was listening to “So Far,” also off “The Marshal Mathers 2LP.”  That’s one of my biggest complaints about Rick Rubin production, so much of it sounds the same, in addition to a lot of it sounding corny,  which is not a good combination.  I wish Em would have put some more FredWreck or Just Blaze, or has been mentioned before, brought back the Bass Brothers.  Or used any number of other producers.  But I think he needs to rely less on Rick Rubin or risk future projects sounding all the same.

I would also mention that Chloraseptic Remix is, in my opinion, better than the album version.  Ironically Eminem’s verse on the remix, where he takes on critics of his album, is probably better than any single verse that he spits on his album.  That’s not to say that his lyrics on the album are bad.  Many of them were quite good.  But a lot of the album criticisms have obviously hit a nerve, and pissed off, passionate Eminem is always better than indifferent Eminem.

Blood$

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2018, 02:25:10 PM »
2 Chainz verse on Chloraseptic >>> 

Sccit

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2018, 08:12:01 PM »
Okay so I was giving Em the benefit of the doubt that he was ahead of the curve on this one and my ears needed to catch up.

But with more time I’ve only became less enchanted with the album.  So I won’t be attempting to defend this project any more.  In fact I’m done listening to it and may put it down permanently the way I did Encore, Relapse, Recovery, I never kept those albums in my rotation. 

I will defend Em’s career though and just say the guy has already done enough in this game and so anything else get from him since 8 Mile should be taken as icing on the cake.

Had a feeling

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2018, 12:11:30 PM »

Had a feeling

Yeah, guess you ended up being right after all. But given em’s track record I tried to be generous
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2018, 12:18:29 PM »
I also gave it a try but I definitely dont like it at all... even the best songs are average to me.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2018, 09:26:01 PM »
I also gave it a try but I definitely dont like it at all... even the best songs are average to me.

Yep.  I’m even going back on my statement that some of the tracks are keepers.  Not only will the album not stay in my rotation but none of the songs will either.

Sometimes you still have some keepers on otherwise disappointing albums.  A good example of that was Xzibit’s Man Vs Machine album back in the day—was his first fail of his career—yet it had 3 or 4 bangers I always hung onto like “Symphony”, “What A Mess”, “Say My Name”, “Losing Your Mind” (and even “Release Date” and “Heart of Man” stayed in my rotation)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 09:28:06 PM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »

The following users thanked this post: Sccit

dnjp4life

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2018, 08:04:38 AM »
I actually like the two Rick Rubin tracks that have got a lot of criticism - Remind Me and Heat.  They are catchy and light-hearted, which is lacking in most of Eminem's output nowadays, plus it helps that they were mixed by Dr. Dre too.  This albums gets weighed down by a few tracks in the middle, which if they were left off, the album would be much better for.

Some of the mixing is off on Revival as well.  The interlude to Remind Me ends with a little bit of the drums for the actual track that follows, which I thought Dre would have taken care of (its not the end of the world obviously, but you do notice it when the album is being played on shuffle).  There is a track where the vocals are very poorly mixed (Tragic Endings), and when you compare it to, for example, Untouchable, there is a massive difference.  I've read elsewhere too that there is one track, I forget which one, that was most likely recorded around the 'Recovery' era, because you can tell by Eminem's vocal style and delivery.

ILoveQSeven

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2018, 09:11:44 AM »
Love The Way You Lie pt.2

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wfWIs2gFTAM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wfWIs2gFTAM</a>
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 09:15:15 AM by ILoveQSeven »

2Relevant

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2018, 02:27:05 PM »
the good is this trash album is already forgotten and no video is going to save it