Author Topic: Revisiting Kurupt Discography  (Read 3274 times)

Okka

Re: Revisiting Kurupt Discography
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 02:46:22 AM »
You forgot about the bacon&eggs ep..prod. by snoop

I can't even remember what that EP sounded like.

arubiano83

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 03:53:46 AM »
I liked the track *one time*

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 01:30:01 PM »
Yeah I forgot about that Kurupt EP... it came out around the same time as the Twinz EP presented by Snoop too and both were not memorable after revisiting them few days ago

arubiano83

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 03:38:57 PM »
It was during Snoops Niggarachi fase...lol

Sccit

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 04:55:18 PM »
It was during Snoops Niggarachi fase...lol
Snoop is an underrated producer .. he did a joint on the lamb album and latest bootsy collins album as well

Blood$

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 10:13:26 PM »
it would be interesting to find how I ranked Kurupt's catalog years ago cuz I'm sure it changed a bit over time lol

> That Streetz Iz A Mutha (1999)
> Kuruption (1998)
> Space Boogie: Smoke Odessey (2001)
> Against The Grain (DPG Bootleg) (2003)
> Streetlights (2010)
> Against The Grain: The EP (2007)
> Same Day, Different Shit (2006)
> Against The Grain (2005)

> Dogg Food (w/ DPG) (1995)
> Dogg Chit (w/ DPG) (2007)
> 100 Wayz (w/ DPG) (2010)
> That Was Then, This Is Now (w/ DPG) (2009)
> Dillinger & Young Gotti (w/ DPG) (2001)
> Cali Iz Active (w/ DPG) (2006)
> Dillinger & Young Gotti Part 2: Tha Saga Continuez (w/ DPG) (2005)
> 2002 (w/ DPG) (2001)
> Tha Last Of Tha Pound (w/ DPG) (2002)
> Let's Ryde 2Nite EP (w/ DPG) (2008)

> Digital Smoke (w/ J-Wells) (2007)
> BlaQKout (w/ DJ Quik) (2009)
> The Frank & Jess Story (w/ Roscoe) (2008)
> Tha Tekneek Files (w/ Roscoe) (2009)
> We Got Now And Next (w/ Diirty OGz) (2016)
> Originals Compilation (2004)
> The Four Horsemen Project (w/ Four Horsemen) (2003)

if anybody happens to have the Against The Grain OG shoot me a PM  8)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 11:04:03 PM by Blood$ »

doggfather

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2018, 01:13:05 AM »
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Sccit

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2018, 01:26:50 AM »

doggfather

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2018, 02:22:07 AM »
Ok, but official like against the grain dpg bootleg or some fan made?

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Okka

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2018, 02:47:01 AM »

Fan made bootleg and so is the "Against Tha Grain" DPG version too, well it was made by Daz.

doggfather

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2018, 03:19:25 AM »
Thanks

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Sccit

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2018, 09:02:39 AM »

Fan made bootleg and so is the "Against Tha Grain" DPG version too, well it was made by Daz.

The original against the grain was an officially pressed project

dj coma

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2018, 11:29:39 AM »

I personally wouldn't call it the "original" Against the Grain or include it in his discography. The "DPG Recordz version" seems more appropriate to me since it was a collection of tracks with the name "Against the Grain" slapped on there to mess with his Death Row album. It was pretty much the same thing Daz was going to do with "Say Hi to the Bad Guy".

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2018, 11:51:29 AM »
Ok after revisiting the entire Kurupt solo albums, collabos, compilations and mixtapes, here are my Top

Solo

1/ Tha Streetz Iz A Mutha
Obviously everyone's favorite as it's a true westcoast classic, it was a great comeback to our beloved westcoast sound after a disapointed (back then) debut album. No fillers just heaters!

2/ Space Boogie: Smoke Odessey
I consider this one a personal classic as well, Fredwreck laces here some of his greatest productions and every one from Kurupt to the guest features are on point.

3/ Streetlights
I remember being waiting for this album to drop back in 2009/2010 and when it finally came out I was amazed, the alchemy between Kurupt and Terrace Martin is absolutely great and Kurupt's aggresive flow on this joint was really appreciated

4/ Kuruption
I used to think that album was mediocre, kinda like "Da Game Is To Be Sold..." from Snoop but revisting this album I was damn it was still a good double album even though I didnt like all of it, there's classic gems on both discs and well imo the west coast disc contains a very few fillers.

5/ Against The Grain (DPG Version)
It's a bootleg I know but there's some unreleased/OG versions that were supposed to be real material for Kurupt's album before ending up to Daz 3rd solo album. A great compilation of songs in my opinion

6/ Agains The Grain LP + EP (Death Row Version)
The final album wasn't all that bad after all and I enjoyed it when it finally came out, some great songs and the EP was very aggressive with all the leftover disses that didnt make the final cut.

7/ Same Day, Different Shit
I wasnt a fan back then and Im still not a fan of this album which sound like it was rushed for some reasons to show Kurupt's is back with Daz and he's here to stay. I still enjoy a few cuts though.

8/ Bacon & Eggs EP
This EP wasnt memorable at all, not trash but nothing special...

Collabo/Compilation/Mixtape

1/ Digital Smoke
I remember this album being so great when it came out, probably my favorite in 2007 and going back to this record I'm still amazed about the quality of this project! Kurupt isn't on every songs but when it's not the case his bro Scoe does the job very well.

2/ BlaQKout
I got to admit there's a few fillers but OMG it's DJ Quik and Kurupt, the good songs are not just good it's classic to me and besides it dropped at a great point of my Life so it brings back great memories.

3/ The 4:20 Mixtape
This is actually a bunch of songs recorded and leaked before Streetlights but well it's also a bunch of good songs

4/ The Frank & Jess Story
I remembered this album being wack because J. Silva beats were so generic but I think the one that was really meh was Gangsta Party from Daz because again revisiting this album I was pleasantly surprised, great songs on there.

5/Originals
I remember on this board back then all the threads and discussions about this release and it was very mixed but once again lol I think this compilation was actually tight, it contains some of the best street anthems from way back like "Eat A Dicc", "I Didnt Change", "Y's Up and A's Down". The only bad thing was the quality of the sound which was very low budget

6/ The Tekneek Files // The Pentagon Vol.1
I also remembered this Kurupt/Roscoe collabo album better than Franck & Jess one but after revisiting it it's not, it contains good songs but it sounded too much like a compilation than an actual collabo, reason why I put it together with the compilation Pentagon Vol. 1 because both of em share like 6,7 songs and were produced by Tekneek from Tangled Thought.

7/ Tsunami Vol.1
I forgot to add it to my original post but this compilation features some exclusive Riflemen street songs and even though it wasnt a great project it was still cool to have Kurupt, Jayo Felony, 40 Glocc and them on there

8/ Penagon Rydaz
It's basically a compilation of features from the era it came out but well it also features unreleased songs like the one with Quik so I add it to this Top

9/ Money Bitches Power
There are some great album material songs like the excellent "Money (Do It For Me)" or "LA Here's 2 U" on there but also too many awful songs

10/ MoonRock Mixtape Vol. 1
A put together mixtape to promote Kurupt’s weed that features recycled, guest features etc. but trash as a whole…

I did not rate the rest of his compilation because it was a selection of recycled and hit songs put together.

And I’m now starting DPG catalogue + HRSM + Diirty OGz
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 11:53:14 AM by Dogg Ly Dogg »

The following users thanked this post: Sccit

Sccit

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2018, 12:10:09 PM »

I personally wouldn't call it the "original" Against the Grain or include it in his discography. The "DPG Recordz version" seems more appropriate to me since it was a collection of tracks with the name "Against the Grain" slapped on there to mess with his Death Row album. It was pretty much the same thing Daz was going to do with "Say Hi to the Bad Guy".

It’s not a project put out by kurupt, but it’s still not a bootleg, as it was officially released

If you don’t wana include that, then none of pac posthumous albums should be either