Author Topic: When did you fall for the West Coast "Gangsta" Rap image?  (Read 1330 times)

Ebony Bree Caple

When did you fall for the West Coast "Gangsta" Rap image?
« on: May 11, 2018, 06:45:45 PM »
So NWA is pretty much the pinnacle of original West Coast Rap but I wanna know when they started pushin dope (the drug) on their records instead of promoting knowledge such as the 1988 classic Express Yourself where Dr Dre raps about NOT smoking weed cos It'll  give a brother brain damage.....

As an avid fan or even just a hip hop tourist, at which point did you fall for the corrupt gimmicks pushin drugs, sex and crime and forget  about the artists who tried to use their music to get a message across?

Do you feel like a chump eating up all this "gangsta" bs when in reality you're just a lemming, blindly following your idols toward the cliff edge, paying hard earned coin to be willingly mislead and actually applaud lewd and ridiculous mentalities that even the artists themselves have addressed as issues that need to be improved rather than romanticized or revered?

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
Re: When did you fall for the West Coast "Gangsta" Rap image?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 11:57:43 AM »
For me, it was The Chronic. First gangsta rap album i bought. Liked Dre Day and Let Me Ride. Then bought the album. Got Doggystyle the day it came out and i was hooked.  Went back and got the NWA albums and all the Death Row affiliate albums and started a chain reaction. Loved the drug references, they way they talk to the hoes and keep them in check. Defined an era that still influences music to this day. Awesome. I wish rappers wouldn't have turned into such pansies and ass kissers now. Especially to the hoes. I get it, they wanna sell records. Like that Westside Connection song says, so many rappers in love nowadays. Pathetic. There are a few exceptions out there still keeping it real, Suga Free and Too Short immediately come to mind, but it's not what it used to be.

johnnie360

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 12:19:23 PM »
For me it was 1987 and the song was Ice-T "Colors". That is when I discvovered rap other than Fatboys, Run DMC, ect. I did have Slick Ricks, and Public Enemies tape, but a little while later I got Ice-T freedom of speech, then off to the Geto Boys and Ice Cube Amerikkkas Most Wanted. 2 Live crew followed around that time. I must have been in 3rd grade or so. My first experience with NWA was actually 100 miles and runnin'. I soon went back and checked out the eariler stuff.

Ice-T was what did it for me. After the Chronic came out, I was full force into the music. Comptons Most wanted, 2Pac, ect... And from there it grew. All I breathed was rap music, mainly Bay Area and West Coast. Definitaly shaped my early years growing up.

TRAX (SFV)

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 01:59:55 PM »
I was living in the SFV when it all began.  NWA, Ice-T, Eazy on KDAY.  Just another form of rap to me.
YOU CAN PIMP ME BITCH....WHEN THEY MAKE DILDOS OUTTA DAYTON SPOKES!

Ebony Bree Caple

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 07:27:55 PM »
For me, it was The Chronic. First gangsta rap album i bought. Liked Dre Day and Let Me Ride. Then bought the album. Got Doggystyle the day it came out and i was hooked.  Went back and got the NWA albums and all the Death Row affiliate albums and started a chain reaction. Loved the drug references, they way they talk to the hoes and keep them in check. Defined an era that still influences music to this day. Awesome. I wish rappers wouldn't have turned into such pansies and ass kissers now. Especially to the hoes. I get it, they wanna sell records. Like that Westside Connection song says, so many rappers in love nowadays. Pathetic. There are a few exceptions out there still keeping it real, Suga Free and Too Short immediately come to mind, but it's not what it used to be.

At least you're honest. I kinda hope you're  as ugly as your attitude so you’ve got less chance of finding a woman to treat like a "hoe" or, maybe you're fine and wont realize you're just another dumb john payin bitches for what most men get for free. You've probably convinced yourself in some drug induced stupor that it's acceptable to promote abuse and neglect. Hopefully you’ll be less "manly" when a significant woman or girl in your life comes to you looking for help and an escape from the same mentality you advocate.

Ebony Bree Caple

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 07:37:14 PM »
For me it was 1987 and the song was Ice-T "Colors". That is when I discvovered rap other than Fatboys, Run DMC, ect. I did have Slick Ricks, and Public Enemies tape, but a little while later I got Ice-T freedom of speech, then off to the Geto Boys and Ice Cube Amerikkkas Most Wanted. 2 Live crew followed around that time. I must have been in 3rd grade or so. My first experience with NWA was actually 100 miles and runnin'. I soon went back and checked out the eariler stuff.

Ice-T was what did it for me. After the Chronic came out, I was full force into the music. Comptons Most wanted, 2Pac, ect... And from there it grew. All I breathed was rap music, mainly Bay Area and West Coast. Definitaly shaped my early years growing up.

Ice T was and still is hardcore but don't you find it a little odd  or contradictory that he emulates a cop on tv when COP KILLER was one of his most celebrated tracks? Cube the same, in his Ride Along films an Jump Street movies. Tupac absolutely murdered the scene in his years as an active artist but he is a timely reminder that nobody bulletproof and even fame wont grant you immortality.

Do you ever feel like someone just blindly being led along by like..... the Pied Piper? Soon as the music stops and all you can hear is sirens and a Cop or C.O. barkin orders at you..... where rap gonna be for you then? Way I figure ya got more chance of endin up in the pen than gettin out if you bumpin gangsta rap. The record company only wants your money and the artists doesn't even know you exist.

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 12:31:16 AM »
Chronic 2001 and Last Meal for me, loved that G attitude, gangsta, tough, being a player, classy, ready for whatever, respected, things that define masculinity in a way even though not everybody will agree but that's what I liked about Gangsta Rap, it kind of influence my way of life for sure.

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 10:12:57 AM »

At least you're honest. I kinda hope you're  as ugly as your attitude so you’ve got less chance of finding a woman to treat like a "hoe" or, maybe you're fine and wont realize you're just another dumb john payin bitches for what most men get for free. You've probably convinced yourself in some drug induced stupor that it's acceptable to promote abuse and neglect. Hopefully you’ll be less "manly" when a significant woman or girl in your life comes to you looking for help and an escape from the same mentality you advocate.

Well we're all entitled to our own opinions.  You seem to take music much more seriously than most of us here.  I listen to it in my free time as I go about my real daily life and don't give it much of a second thought.  You asked what I liked about the music and I told you.  Don't get all bent out of shape because my opinion of a fictitious form of entertainment doesn't agree with your 'media influenced politically correct' viewpoint that you've been led to believe is correct, to follow like a sheep.  You do realize that 95% of the rappers are storytellers and aren't really the people they portray in their songs don't you?  You don't believe Clint Eastwood is an actual killer do you?  Yet most people enjoy his movies.  Same thing can be said for music.  2Pac himself even said in most of his songs he's the storyteller, they aren't about him personally.  Of course your veiled attempt at a childish insult by calling my 'ugly' for stating my opinion only lessens the weight your opinions and posts mean to me.  If you want to influence change or debate certain topics relating to rap and be taken seriously, you have to learn to keep it civil and be adult about it, Ebony.   
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:20:40 AM by Soopafly DPGC »